Health Issues

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Super Mommy
Over my pregnancy I've been to many pregnancy sites. I see a LOT of posts where women mention that they are severely depressed and on medication, yet they are TTC. Once they do get pregnant they then won't get off the meds. If you are severely depressed and on meds....do you really think it's the best time to bring a new child into this world?

What about women with eating disorders trying to get pregnant? There was a women I read about who had bulemia (sp?) and she was on medication for it and depression yet she was ttc as well.....

What about women who are obese and their obesity is affecting their health? If your weight is already affecting your health...don't you think you should fix your health problems before getting pregnant and putting MORE strain on your body? Thus...causing problems during the pregnancy and maybe endangering your child?

Does anyone know what I mean by this??
June 27th, 2006, 09:39 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think under most circumstances the women should take care of her own problems before trying to bring a child into the world... your going to end up adding on to the problems you already have in a lot of situations. I would not judge anyone that I don't know their situation... because maybe that women is depressed because she can't get pregnant.. and she'd been trying for a long time. I think you just have to go by what their own situation is. As far as anyone trying to get pregnant and having an eating disorder I think is very bad judgment because they are not thinking about the babies health. People need to get their own lives straight before adding another life to the world.

June 27th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Super Mommy
In my original post I wrote about being depressed because of failed ttc...but then I deleted it. (I don't know why...) But I think that is an exception because once you did concieve you would no longer be depressed about it.
June 27th, 2006, 10:06 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
This is a personal issue for me because I am bipolar. I was not on medication when I got pregnant and I don't intend to go on medication any time soon. I was depressed when I got pregnant but the horemones acctually helped balanced my moods. Since I have had my daughter I hav been happier than I have ever been. I still have my illness but my daughter gives me a reason to live and I felt like I didn't have that before. She saved my life. I am a good mom. Having a mental illness dosn't make you a bad mom. It's how you handle that illness that does. I know that some people that are ill shouldn't get pregnant (people with bulimia or anarexia SHOULD NOT get pregnant).

There are meds you can take for depression and other mental illnesses during pregnancies and your doctor can help with that.

My name is Amanda. I am BiPolar and a good mommy as well.
June 27th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Quote:
This is a personal issue for me because I am bipolar. I was not on medication when I got pregnant and I don't intend to go on medication any time soon. I was depressed when I got pregnant but the horemones acctually helped balanced my moods. Since I have had my daughter I hav been happier than I have ever been. I still have my illness but my dughter gives me a reason to live and I felt like I didn't have that before. She saved my life. I am a good mom. Having a mental illness dosn't make you a bad mom. It's how you handle that illness that does. I know that some people that are ill shouldn't get pregnant (people with bulimia or anarexia SHOULD NOT get pregnant).

There are meds you can take for depression and other mental illnesses during pregnancies and your doctor can help with that.

My name is Amanda. I am BiPolar and a good mommy as well.[/b]

I can totally understand where your coming from. Like I said.. I think it depends on the situation and the severity of the illness.

June 27th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Quote:
I think under most circumstances the women should take care of her own problems before trying to bring a child into the world.[/b]
A lot of mental illnesses are due to chemical imbalances and can only be helped meds (such as bipolar) . They are chronic illneses that a person can't just "take care of" before she gets pregnant. That is saying if you cannot cure it then you should not have children. This was my mom's opinion and she was pissed that I got pregnant. I was 22 and had been married over 2 years. She got pregnant with me at 15 yet thought that I was irrisposible for getting pregnant because of my illness.
June 27th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Super Mommy
Oh dear.... not having children because you can't "fix" the problem...I don't think that is fair at all

I was pointing more towards the issues where it can be fixed, yet the women won't fix it before ttc. Kwim?
June 27th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Quote:
What about women who are obese and their obesity is affecting their health? If your weight is already affecting your health...don't you think you should fix your health problems before getting pregnant and putting MORE strain on your body? Thus...causing problems during the pregnancy and maybe endangering your child?[/b]
I don't think this would bae fair either. I am what you might consider obease (I am over 200) but I had a perfectly healthy pregnancy and a perfectly healthy child. I think it matters more about how you take care of yourself while you are pregnant that how you did before. I ate really healthy while I was pregnant and acctually LOST weight. I was 43 pounds lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight whn I gave birth (losing weight is fine for someone who is overweight). I was not trying to lose weight I just wanted to do the best for my daughter and I did and I am still doing that. It dosn't mattter how much I weigh.

Not everything can be so black and white, Not everyone who is overweight is unhealthy. I may be overweight but I am inotherwise pefect health. My cholesteral and BP are fine. I have no heart problems and I am not diabetic. I keep up with my 8 month old crawler (almost walker) just fine. I feel healthy and I eat healthy. I take walks every day. I am just not into cutting my calories to 1200 a day just to lose weight and I don't have the time to run on a tremil. My weight has no impact on how good a mommy I am. PERIOD.
June 27th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Nobody is saying your not a good mom. It just depends on the situation. Some women who are TTC should not be due to problems they have. Not every situation is the same.

June 27th, 2006, 11:03 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
What about women who are obese and their obesity is affecting their health? If your weight is already affecting your health...don't you think you should fix your health problems before getting pregnant and putting MORE strain on your body? Thus...causing problems during the pregnancy and maybe endangering your child?[/b]
I don't think this would bae fair either. I am what you might consider obease (I am over 200) but I had a perfectly healthy pregnancy and a perfectly healthy child. I think it matters more about how you take care of yourself while you are pregnant that how you did before. I ate really healthy while I was pregnant and acctually LOST weight. I was 43 pounds lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight whn I gave birth (losing weight is fine for someone who is overweight). I was not trying to lose weight I just wanted to do the best for my daughter and I did and I am still doing that. It dosn't mattter how much I weigh.

Not everything can be so black and white, Not everyone who is overweight is unhealthy. I may be overweight but I am inotherwise pefect health. My cholesteral and BP are fine. I have no heart problems and I am not diabetic. I keep up with my 8 month old crawler (almost walker) just fine. I feel healthy and I eat healthy. I take walks every day. I am just not into cutting my calories to 1200 a day just to lose weight and I don't have the time to run on a tremil. My weight has no impact on how good a mommy I am. PERIOD.
[/b]

Well I guess that is why I said "What about women who are obese and their obesity IS affecting their health?". Yours obviously wasn't affecting your health, therefore this doesn't apply to you at all.
June 27th, 2006, 11:13 PM
If their problems are not life threatening then it shouldn't matter. They might be diabetic because they are obease but that can't be helped. With proper monitoring there shoul be no reason for them not to get pregnant. BP may be another issue but it can be controled with meds that are safe in pregnancy. No it is not ideal to have health problems but for a lot of people there is no perfect time to get pregnant. If you put it off too long then you get into age and fertility issues.
June 27th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Yes but there are some health issues that need to be controlled or taken care of before TTC for the mothers and the babies sake.

June 27th, 2006, 11:23 PM
chlodoll
Its a pesonal choice to TTC. If someone feels that they are ready to have a child then they should. Reproductive choice should not hold any boundaries and is at every ones own discretion. In some situations it may be beneficial for someone to work on some personal/health issues first but it shouldnt be a requirement.
June 27th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I don't think anyone said anything about making it a requirement. It was just my personal opinion that certain medical conditions need to be taken care of or controlled before TTC.

June 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM
greenjeans's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Speaking as someone who's obesity is causing problems (mostly ttc problems) I have to say, if I waited until I lost the weight I'd never get pg. ever. I eat about 1200 calories, a diet I've been trying to uphold that for about 3 months now. I've lost 1 pound. My dr. thinks I need to be at about 900 calories a day to lose a pound a week or so. That's not a lot of food. Not to mention I can't eat high carb foods (including high carb fruits and vegetables) so that's a lot of dry salads I get to eat. There's a whole forum full of people just like me here on JM and they are a ttc group. Since at last count 1 in 10 women has PCOS and has these issues (not to mention the people that go undiagnosed due to miseducation) this isn't a special case scenario.
Getting pg at my weight I run the risk of making my body worse, yes. But my body is going to get worse on it's own and one day it will take my fertility with it. Probably in the next couple of years. I'm 24.

June 27th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Its a pesonal choice to TTC. If someone feels that they are ready to have a child then they should. Reproductive choice should not hold any boundaries and is at every ones own discretion. In some situations it may be beneficial for someone to work on some personal/health issues first but it shouldnt be a requirement.[/b]
June 28th, 2006, 12:09 AM
But you guys can't dispute that people with certain health issues should wait before TTC right? How do you feel about some who is bulimic and TTC? Should they try to reslove their issues before trying to get pregnant?

June 28th, 2006, 12:14 AM
chlodoll
What if they never resolve their issues? They can never have their own cildren? I think its something that needs to be discussed with their doctor. Also quite often women who have eating disorders do not have them throughout their pregnancy.
June 28th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Quote:
But you guys can't dispute that people with certain health issues should wait before TTC right? How do you feel about some who is bulimic and TTC? Should they try to reslove their issues before trying to get pregnant?[/b]
I agree and that was part of my original post...

Quote:
Having a mental illness dosn't make you a bad mom. It's how you handle that illness that does. I know that some people that are ill shouldn't get pregnant (people with bulimia or anarexia SHOULD NOT get pregnant).[/b]
June 28th, 2006, 12:17 AM
greenjeans's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
ditto to chlodoll

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search