Required Spanish Classes in School

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Super Mommy
No.

I just erased my previous post because it was too heated....so I figured I'd keep it simple (for now) and just state:

No.
June 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I believe we should require a certain number of years of language study but not necessarily Spanish. Learning any language other than your native tongue will give you the foundation in how to go about learning a language. I find that to be useful knowledge that can be used in the work force, abroad, and in child raising.
June 28th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Super Mommy
I agree with the PP. But I don't agree with them forcing a particular language down the childs throat. It is THEIR decision wether they want to learn Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, Portugese...w/e
June 28th, 2006, 12:53 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
I think it is good to have a second language but I failed Spanish so i am glad it wasn't required in my school.
June 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Brandy81
My oldest starts kindergarten in the fall and she is going to an International School which teaches in Spanish half the day and English the other half. I think its great! On their website it states how learning a second language can be benifical.

• Has a positive effect on intellectual growth.

• Enriches and enhances a child's mental development.

• Leaves students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.

• Improves a child's understanding of his or her native language.

• Gives a child the ability to communicate with people he or she would otherwise not have had the chance to know.

• Opens the door to other cultures and helps the child understand and appreciate people from other countries.

• Gives the child a head start in language requirements for college.

• Increases job opportunities in many careers in which knowing another language is a real asset.

SOURCE
June 28th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
My oldest starts kindergarten in the fall and she is going to an International School which teaches in Spanish half the day and English the other half. I think its great! On their website it states how learning a second language can be benifical.

• Leaves students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.

• Gives a child the ability to communicate with people he or she would otherwise not have had the chance to know.

• Opens the door to other cultures and helps the child understand and appreciate people from other countries.

• Increases job opportunities in many careers in which knowing another language is a real asset.

SOURCE[/b]

This is where it gets heated for me. It's great to learn a 2nd language and it does have all those beneficial effects on individuals who learn a 2nd language....but it shouldn't be forced on anyone. The ONLY reason they are choosing Spanish (why not another language??) is because of all the immigrants over here REFUSING to learn English and speak English when this is AMERICA and that is the MAIN (wether official or not...) language.
The only reason it's turing into "well it's not the main for long..." is because of them refusing to speak english...
June 28th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Brandy81
Quote:
Quote:

SOURCE[/b]

This is where it gets heated for me. It's great to learn a 2nd language and it does have all those beneficial effects on individuals who learn a 2nd language....but it shouldn't be forced on anyone. The ONLY reason they are choosing Spanish (why not another language??) is because of all the immigrants over here REFUSING to learn English and speak English when this is AMERICA and that is the MAIN (wether official or not...) language.
The only reason it's turing into "well it's not the main for long..." is because of them refusing to speak english...
[/b]
The reason they are choosing Spanish is because it is becoming this nations second language. I mean why teach the kid a useless language like say...German? Where are they going to use it? I agree that all immigrants should speak English...but is that really going to happen? I felt the same way you did...but I gave up the fight and just accepted the inevitable. I want my children to have a good future and if that means sending them to a school that has a required language of spanish then I will give them that leg up.
June 28th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
The reason they are choosing Spanish is because it is becoming this nations second language. I mean why teach the kid a useless language like say...German? Where are they going to use it? I agree that all immigrants should speak English...but is that really going to happen? I felt the same way you did...but I gave up the fight and just accepted the inevitable. I want my children to have a good future and if that means sending them to a school that has a required language of spanish then I will give them that leg up.[/b]
I don't give up for what I believe in I guess. Kids shouldn't HAVE to learn Spanish because they shouldn't HAVE to use it.
June 28th, 2006, 02:15 PM
kadydid
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
The reason they are choosing Spanish is because it is becoming this nations second language. I mean why teach the kid a useless language like say...German? Where are they going to use it? I agree that all immigrants should speak English...but is that really going to happen? I felt the same way you did...but I gave up the fight and just accepted the inevitable. I want my children to have a good future and if that means sending them to a school that has a required language of spanish then I will give them that leg up.[/b]
I don't give up for what I believe in I guess. Kids shouldn't HAVE to learn Spanish because they shouldn't HAVE to use it.
[/b][/quote]
I don’t think they should not be able to choose what second language they learn. I think Chinese will be very beneficial to our children, so I wouldn’t say Spanish is the one they have to learn.

I know this is very un-liberal of me but I think they should make English Americas national language. I think it would settle some confusion.
June 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I know this is very un-liberal of me but I think they should make English Americas national language. I think it would settle some confusion.[/b]
June 28th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I agree with the PP. But I don't agree with them forcing a particular language down the childs throat. It is THEIR decision wether they want to learn Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, Portugese...w/e[/b]
Same here.

June 28th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Brandy81
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
[/b][/quote]

But if it is offered why not take advantage of it? I really don't see the problem with it. If you want your child to learn another language then take them to lessons. I Do. My daughter is also going to German lessons 2 days a week. Not like she will ever use the language...except with family. But I still want her to learn it.

If you don't want your child to be FORCED to learn Spanish put in for a zone variance and change schools. Seriously I think it is funny when all the Americans are up in arms about languages and immigration when they themselves are immigrants. The only natives are Indians and the ACTUAL native language is what their tribes spoke, and when is the last time you heard that? My family is German and we learned English we just choose to use it when we feel like it.

ETA: You live in Overland Park...since when did they start implementing Internation Schools? I have Cousins-In-Law that go to school there and they had never heard of these schools?
June 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I agree with the PP. But I don't agree with them forcing a particular language down the childs throat. It is THEIR decision wether they want to learn Spanish, French, Japanese, Chinese, Portugese...w/e[/b]
Same here.
[/b]

i totally agree that learning a second language is great and i dont refute that at all. but i do fight some facts, and i think like the original poster, i get mad when you make kids learn spanish- now you might be saying oh what state on earth does that, that is a ridiculous claim. ooh not so
in texas where i am from, kids start learning spanish in school in 6th grade, it's statewide. if you want to become a teacher- you MUST take 4 years of spanish in order to get licensed or whatever as a teacher, no way to get around it. we teach classes in public schools fully in spanish, no english immersion, and we give them tests like state tests in spanish.. and they are separated classrooms. and the schools have to pay for the extra rooms and extra spanish written tests, and cannot ask if they are illegal because it is against the law. we have to pay extra to accomdate them in schools but nothing extra is paid into the system to account for it. in my mom's school for example where she is the school therapist, they've had to cut funding to other programs because they get a larger and larger influx of only spanish speaking children whom they must teach in that language in therefore have to get extra resources and materials, and they dont get extra money for that.

so the students in texas now have to learn spanish= sure it's great to learn a second language, but maybe i wanted to learn something else. not an option

June 28th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Some districts also don't really have the funding to offer multiple language programs. A lot of them "take what they can get" when it comes to foreign language teachers. I think we could get away with mandating (on the federal level) that schools offer two languages, but anything more than that would probably tax too many districts.

Richer districts could then make their own rules concerning offering more languages.
June 28th, 2006, 03:54 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Some districts also don't really have the funding to offer multiple language programs. A lot of them "take what they can get" when it comes to foreign language teachers. I think we could get away with mandating (on the federal level) that schools offer two languages, but anything more than that would probably tax too many districts.

Richer districts could then make their own rules concerning offering more languages.[/b]
ITA!!
June 28th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't really know where I stand on this issue lol. Personally I feel that Spanish would be a great language to learn. So many jobs now (in Texas anyways) require you to be bilingual (English and Spanish) being the two languages. Okay that being said, I feel that it should honestly be the parents' choice if a) they want their kids to take a second language and B) what that language is. I was required to take 2 years of Spanish to get my high school diploma, so it might benefit children later on if they do take a second language. JMO.
Amanda
June 28th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I believe we should require a certain number of years of language study but not necessarily Spanish. Learning any language other than your native tongue will give you the foundation in how to go about learning a language. I find that to be useful knowledge that can be used in the work force, abroad, and in child raising.[/b]
I agree!

Quote:
The ONLY reason they are choosing Spanish (why not another language??) is because of all the immigrants over here REFUSING to learn English and speak English when this is AMERICA and that is the MAIN (wether official or not...) language.[/b]
I saw this first hand when I lived in Miami. A LOT of people refuse to speak english there. It's VERY frustrating when everyone around you is speaking another language when english is normally used(like at businesses). It seemed like almost everyone spoke to me in spanish first. I watched the news one night and there was a special on how the local people refused to learn english, and some of the people were saying they would just stay in Miami, and they didn't need to learn english. I dislike that attitude. Living there felt like being in another country, so we left. It's a great place to vacation, don't get me wrong, but if you live there you better learn spanish.

June 28th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
I believe we should require a certain number of years of language study but not necessarily Spanish. Learning any language other than your native tongue will give you the foundation in how to go about learning a language. I find that to be useful knowledge that can be used in the work force, abroad, and in child raising.[/b]
I agree!

Quote:
The ONLY reason they are choosing Spanish (why not another language??) is because of all the immigrants over here REFUSING to learn English and speak English when this is AMERICA and that is the MAIN (wether official or not...) language.[/b]
I saw this first hand when I lived in Miami. A LOT of people refuse to speak english there. It's VERY frustrating when everyone around you is speaking another language when english is normally used(like at businesses). It seemed like almost everyone spoke to me in spanish first. I watched the news one night and there was a special on how the local people refused to learn english, and some of the people were saying they would just stay in Miami, and they didn't need to learn english. I dislike that attitude. Living there felt like being in another country, so we left. It's a great place to vacation, don't get me wrong, but if you live there you better learn spanish.
[/b]
That frustrates me to no end!!! They come over here because we are a better country yet they don't respect us when they get here but they expect us to bend over backwards for them!?!?!?
June 28th, 2006, 09:22 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Seriously I think it is funny when all the Americans are up in arms about languages and immigration when they themselves are immigrants. The only natives are Indians and the ACTUAL native language is what their tribes spoke, and when is the last time you heard that? My family is German and we learned English we just choose to use it when we feel like it.[/b]
Well when people have a career and they are actually getting fired because they can’t speak Spanish like these fire Chiefs where I live. That is hardly fair that a person can have a job like that with that kind of training and get fired because he can’t speak Spanish. If I moved to any other country I would not expect them to learn to speak my language. And I do realize that the American Indians where the first people here, but I also know that for the last few hundred years people have been speaking and learning English to live here. We may all be the “product” of immigration, but I am not an immigrant. And I think it is sad that some of our highly trained people are losing jobs because they can’t speak a language they have never been required to speak in the past.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/nationalne...390/detail.html

AND FTR I do not even expect people to come here and learn English. But do not expect to get a good job, or force others out of their job, because you didn’t want to learn it. There are plenty of jobs, where it is totally fine to not speak English. Learning a second language is great, but it should not be a requirement if you speak the national language and that is why I support a measure to make English our national language.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/nationalne...390/detail.html

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search