Illegal immigrants-

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you think that illegal immigrants should have the same benefits as all other citizens and legal immigrants?
Such as: government assistance when needed, medicaid, a free public education? Etc.

Many of them DO pay taxes, so it could be argued that they are entitled to those things just like everyone else who pays taxes.

Thoughts, opinions?

June 28th, 2006, 04:10 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
I have to think about it for awhile. Yes to the free public education.
June 28th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The last thing we want is a human rights fiasco, so definitely they need access to medical care. Offering Medicaid may be the best policy financially on that issue since admiting them to the ER for serious but nonemergency matters can get expensive.

Their children, if born here, are citizens, so they get free public education and any assistance they need. (yesyes, we can argue that should be changed, but, until it is, they get these things).

Not sure on the rest....
June 28th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Do you think that illegal immigrants should have the same benefits as all other citizens and legal immigrants?
Such as: government assistance when needed, medicaid, a free public education? Etc.

Many of them DO pay taxes, so it could be argued that they are entitled to those things just like everyone else who pays taxes.

Thoughts, opinions?[/b]
um.....i dunno......
aren't they illegal? doesn't that mean they shouldn't be here?
June 28th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I can see this thread will turn very ugly. My dh was a illegal immagrant at one point. His mom wanted to come to the states but they would not give her a visa. His grandma brought him over. He was about 8yrs old. I know they have to be strict on the immagration laws. I think alot of people do not reliaze how hard it is for people in 3rd world countries to come over here. Yeah if you are rich there are no problems for the most part. People sometimes come here illegaly because they need to feed there families. If I were living in a poverty stritken country I would probaly do what I have to do.

Maybe I have a little more compassion because I have seen 1st hand how people have to live in 3rd world countries. I know threads like this can turn nasty because I have seen it before.

This hits home for me because I had to go through this whole green card process with my dh and I was scared of them deporting him. I know alot of people will not agree with me but thats ok.

Not all Illegal immgrants are bad people.
June 28th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Brandy81
NO..simply put. It's against the law. They can be the nicest people you ever meet but the are breaking the law and we shouldn't reward that.
June 28th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have written on this in other threads...but I will say it again here, I agree with christina29 that the leagalization process in the states needs changing. It's scarey, expensive, and down right ridiculous at times (traveling from PA to SC for fingerprints?! ).

As a legal immigrant now citizen originally from a 3rd world country, I know what you are talking about. It's a balancing act between human rights and law, and not everyone breaking the law is a "bad guy" in this case.
June 28th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I have written on this in other threads...but I will say it again here, I agree with christina29 that the leagalization process in the states needs changing. It's scarey, expensive, and down right ridiculous at times (traveling from PA to SC for fingerprints?! ).

As a legal immigrant now citizen originally from a 3rd world country, I know what you are talking about. It's a balancing act between human rights and law, and not everyone breaking the law is a "bad guy" in this case.[/b]
Thank you for that. If I may ask you, where are you from? My dh is from Haiti.
June 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Thank you for that. If I may ask you, where are you from? My dh is from Haiti.[/b]
I am originally from Panama. My father is from Ecuador, so I spent a lot of my life there as well.
June 28th, 2006, 06:50 PM
irishxrose
Quote:

Thoughts, opinions?[/b]
Yes, they may pay taxes, but it's usually only sales taxes and such. The taxes that we pay yearly, they do not. If they applied for a W-2 or a W-4 form (whatever the heck they are!), they would be recognized as illegal and be deported, so most are paid under the table, and so they only pay the sales tax. It's completely unfair.

I don't think they should get anything. The children yes; the parents no. The parents chose to come here and they need to deal with the consequences. The children had to follow and they need to be cared for.
June 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

Thoughts, opinions?[/b]
Yes, they may pay taxes, but it's usually only sales taxes and such. The taxes that we pay yearly, they do not. If they applied for a W-2 or a W-4 form (whatever the heck they are!), they would be recognized as illegal and be deported, so most are paid under the table, and so they only pay the sales tax. It's completely unfair.

I don't think they should get anything. The children yes; the parents no. The parents chose to come here and they need to deal with the consequences. The children had to follow and they need to be cared for.
[/b]
Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
June 28th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Veteran
NOPE!! Maybe if we cut down on the 'benefits' of being an illegal immigrant, it would cut down on the number of illegals here.
June 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
NOPE!! Maybe if we cut down on the 'benefits' of being an illegal immigrant, it would cut down on the number of illegals here.[/b]

Geezz it's like everytime I go to answer a question.. you have already answered it for me. Oh well saves me time.

June 29th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I don't think they should get anything. The children yes; the parents no. The parents chose to come here and they need to deal with the consequences. The children had to follow and they need to be cared for.[/b]
But effectively, the parents would get something too, because of their children.
If the family has no place to live for instance, wouldn't they be offered free or subsidized housing? If they have no food, won't they ALL get food stamps? How can they give something to the child without it going through the parents?

June 29th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that illegal immigrants should receive no "benefits" other than life-saving care in the emergency room after all legal citizens have been served. After that they should be packed back to wherever they came from.

June 29th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have some question for you all.

Imagine living in a poor country where you have no running water. Your lucky if you have one meal a day. Imagine that... You can not put clothing on your childs back. What would you do?

How many of you realize how hard it is for people in 3rd world countries to get a visa to come over here. Yes granted there are people who do not even bother trying to come over the right way but there are many who try to get there Visa to come here but they keep being denied. When all they want to do is feed there families. They can not get help because there is no one to help them because the economy is so poor.

Sit in your nice house with heat or ac and your car to drive around, food in your stomach, and clothing on your back

I know I have probaly stirred sh** but I do not care. I would like to see how many people have opened have opened there eyes to how bad things are in other countries while they sit here and pass judgement.

Someone pass the popcorn.
June 29th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

Imagine living in a poor country where you have no running water. Your lucky if you have one meal a day. Imagine that... You can not put clothing on your childs back. What would you do?

How many of you realize how hard it is for people in 3rd world countries to get a visa to come over here. Yes granted there are people who do not even bother trying to come over the right way but there are many who try to get there Visa to come here but they keep being denied. When all they want to do is feed there families. They can not get help because there is no one to help them because the economy is so poor.

Sit in your nice house with heat or ac and your car to drive around, food in your stomach, and clothing on your back

I know I have probaly stirred sh** but I do not care. I would like to see how many people have opened have opened there eyes to how bad things are in other countries while they sit here and pass judgement.

Someone pass the popcorn.[/b]
I know if my family were starving and all I had to do to make sure they had a better life, was cross an imaginary line, I'd cross it. And so would most people.

I know it's hard to get a visa. Unless you marry a US citizen or get a company to sponsor you, you are going to STAY illegal and there's nothing that can be done about that. And how many companies are willing to do that? Probably not very many.

I think that if someone is illegal, and working, the place they work for should be required to sponsor them so they can become legal. But a lot of times this is not feasible because we're talking about SMALL companies most of the time. Cash work. Little construction companies or landscaping companies that are not really under that much scrutiny.

June 29th, 2006, 06:55 AM
lea27's Avatar Veteran
Of course any of us would do it if we were in a third world country, even the people who disagree with illegal immigrants being here.
June 29th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Some would argue that the USA's actions in Latin America give people in those countries every right to flee here and receive benefits...
June 29th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

Someone pass the popcorn.[/b]
I know if my family were starving and all I had to do to make sure they had a better life, was cross an imaginary line, I'd cross it. And so would most people.

I know it's hard to get a visa. Unless you marry a US citizen or get a company to sponsor you, you are going to STAY illegal and there's nothing that can be done about that. And how many companies are willing to do that? Probably not very many.

I think that if someone is illegal, and working, the place they work for should be required to sponsor them so they can become legal. But a lot of times this is not feasible because we're talking about SMALL companies most of the time. Cash work. Little construction companies or landscaping companies that are not really under that much scrutiny.
[/b]
Thank you for that. Not a whole lot gets me riled up but is one topic that does. I have seen first hand how these people have to live. I was in Haiti and I have gone through the whole immagration process with my dh.

I am a american but in a way it hurts when people can just say you ship back illegal immgrants to where they came from when they have no idea what the circumstances are.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search