Do you think people should TTC right after having a child?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was just curious as to what everyone's take on TTC right after having a child is? Do you agree with it or disagree with it?
Amanda
June 28th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Super Mommy
I say w/e they want. I would be slightly concerned about moms health though as her body hasn't had proper time to rest....

how soon after having the child are they ttc?
June 28th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would say as soon as they are physically able (from the delivery). To respond to WaterMama's post.
Amanda
June 28th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Super Mommy
Hrm...well, I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with becoming pregnant again immediately if you want kids close together. My sister and I are 15mths apart and my dh and his little sister are 11mths apart. So far I'd say w/e the parents want. But maybe I'll change my mind if I see a good argument against it... I'm not sure... I don't know what the argument against it would be...

Can ya see I'm kind of confused?? LOL!!
June 28th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know there have been reports that it is unhealthy to wait less than 18 months, but we have about 9 months between our kids before we started trying again(and if I had any indications of secondary infertility, we probably would have started trying earlier.) The risks of closer pregnancies were outweighed by the benefits for us. Our kids would be able to meet their grandparents (both sets have medical issues), I could leave teaching for one lump of time and then return, we would get all the night parenting years out of the way and not drag it out...we had a bunch of reasons.
June 28th, 2006, 07:44 PM
CBMS
My sister had two (out of six, biological) that are only 1 year and 2 days apart. I don't know how she did it. My older girls are 22 months apart, and that was close enough for me! lol

That being said--a lot of women go to their six week PP check and find out they're pregnant. If they're happy and their doctor isn't upset about it, why should I be?
June 28th, 2006, 08:14 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Two of mine are 13 months apart. We had no problems because of having them so close. They are like best friends. I love it.

June 28th, 2006, 08:33 PM
lea27's Avatar Veteran
I think doctors recommend that women wait until their baby is a year old before trying again.

I can't imagine being pregnant so soon again since I was so physically drained from my second pregnancy.
June 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think people should refrain for at least a year, for medical reasons. Having children one after another is trying on the body. You don't give your body enough time to heal properly from somehting that is very traumatic to it. Getting pregnant so soon can cause a higher chance of misscarriage as well, and it will be harder to take off the weight afterwards. Plus, how fair is it to the child? My son is nearly 2 and all through this pregnancy it's been difficult to take care of him because of how tired and sick I feel. Sometimes I feel guilty having kids even two years apart, like I didn't give him enough of his time to be a baby. I couldn't imagine taking that away from him before his first birthday.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 28th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think people should refrain for at least a year, for medical reasons. Having children one after another is trying on the body. You don't give your body enough time to heal properly from somehting that is very traumatic to it. Getting pregnant so soon can cause a higher chance of misscarriage as well, and it will be harder to take off the weight afterwards. Plus, how fair is it to the child? My son is nearly 2 and all through this pregnancy it's been difficult to take care of him because of how tired and sick I feel. Sometimes I feel guilty having kids even two years apart, like I didn't give him enough of his time to be a baby. I couldn't imagine taking that away from him before his first birthday.[/b]
I agree with the guilt thing! I find that my biggest worry is how the girls will react to having a little baby around. My oldest was great with our second but now I'm feeling the worry about it all over again.

(and I just realized that I stated that my kids are 9 months apart- I meant to say that we started trying at the 9 month mark to make them a year and half apart).
June 29th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't do it, but if someone else wants to and can support whatever children they make, then why shouldn't they. As long as they are adults, mentally competent and financially stable and independent there is no reason why they shouldn't have children whenever they want.

June 29th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't want to risk my health, but I am not going to make that decision for someone else.

June 29th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I personally plan to wait until Brody is about 2 before trying again. Even though I have a history of miscarriage. I look at him now and can't imagine something (even a new baby) taking my attention away from him. I love him so much and want to eek out every second that I can with him.

But I can understand a parent wanting their children very close in age. I've heard several people say it was "easier" to have 2 in diapers than to just get one potty trained then deal with diapers on the other. I can't imagine it. But, if you can do it...more power to ya!

June 29th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Bow2thePrincess's Avatar Veteran
I'd say it's up to the parents. Personally I think it would be the best to wait at least a year after the birth for physical reasons.

Brittany and Paul
June, 18th 2003

Maddux Talan
April, 24th 2006

</div>
June 29th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've heard its best to wait a year, to allow your body to fully recover.

I have no desire to try for a second any time soon, if ever.
June 29th, 2006, 11:46 AM
MamaBx3
I've heard the "wait a year" thing too !

I have nothing against it ! I think people should do what they want .
June 29th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's their body and if the body wasn't ready the wouldn't be ovulating right?
June 29th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
whatever, I say they are strong and must have some very well behaved babes tho, I would never want another one for at least 2 more years lol.
June 29th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Eka09M
I think as long as there are no major medical issues (recent child delivery NOT included.....) I don't see a problem with it. I think women should do what they want..... if they want to TTC right away, more power to them!

I had a c-section with my daughter, I was surprised that my doctor didn't suggest an amount of time we should wait before TTC again. Even if he would have suggested a length (6 mo-1 year), if we wanted to TTC before then we would.... its our decision! The doctors can only simply SUGGEST.... and maybe throw out numbers of statistics, but things like that normally go in one of my ears and out the other.... I know my body, I know my health, I know what I can handle.

Honestly, I had baby fever before my daughter was 8 weeks old...... my DH wasn't read for a second due to financial issues or else we would have been TTC again that soon. I know my body would have handled it just fine!
June 29th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I say to each there own. I got pregnant 8 months PP with my son.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search