Panic/Anxiety Attacks

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Super Mommy
Panic and anxiety runs in the family for me. My mom is on meds and my sister used to be. During the last year I lived with my parents I was going through a LOT LOT LOT of stress. My parents were getting divorced...I was going to school and working fulltime taking care of MYSELF and I was in a new relationship with the man I knew I was going to marry. All I wanted was to be around him because he made me happy (it's my dh now btw), but my parents were constantly trying to keep us apart. During the last 6months I was living at home I had 2 panic attacks (those 6mths are when dh and I were dating).

I KNEW that it was because of the stress my "home life" was putting on me. So... I told my parents to get their crap together and moved out at the age of 17 with my now dh. Since that day, I've never had another panic attack/anxiety attack.

So, my question is....Can you self cure if you know what is causing you to go into these attacks? Or was I just lucky?
June 28th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Veteran
I sort of think you can. I think it's all a mindset and you have to 'want' to get better, similar to depression.

I very occasionally hyperventilate(which maybe is a panic attack, I don't know that much about them?) when I am REALLY upset about something. But I just get away from whatever is upsetting me and focus on trying to slow my breathing and calm down, works for me. I know that's different though.
June 28th, 2006, 07:17 PM
CBMS
I'm no psychologist (yet--but it is my major and I have my first degree toward being one, so I'm working on it. Slowly but surely ), but there are some that can desensitize themselves to overcome anxiety and panic attacks. I don't think that everyone is susceptible to the necessary 'training' that it takes, but it can be done. We did some exercises in some of my classes that are clinical ways to quickly teach people how to desensitize themselves.

I suppose that some may already have the knowledge within them to never have to be taught. You removed yourself from a trigger, so that alone may have been it for you. People with spiders or snakes or bridges, etc. can't just 'remove' themselves from the trigger as you did, so they need to learn the technique. You did good, though. Kudos for knowing what was triggering you and getting yourself into a more mentally stable environment.
June 28th, 2006, 07:46 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm no psychologist (yet--but it is my major and I have my first degree toward being one, so I'm working on it. Slowly but surely ), but there are some that can desensitize themselves to overcome anxiety and panic attacks. I don't think that everyone is susceptible to the necessary 'training' that it takes, but it can be done. We did some exercises in some of my classes that are clinical ways to quickly teach people how to desensitize themselves.

I suppose that some may already have the knowledge within them to never have to be taught. You removed yourself from a trigger, so that alone may have been it for you. People with spiders or snakes or bridges, etc. can't just 'remove' themselves from the trigger as you did, so they need to learn the technique. You did good, though. Kudos for knowing what was triggering you and getting yourself into a more mentally stable environment.[/b]
That makes much sense

And thanks btw
June 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have learned what my triggers are and I have learned to recognize the feelings I get before I have an attack. I've learned how to sort of "talk myself out of it". Or I remove myself from the situation. It's taken a long time to get that far though. It's very difficult and it doesn't always work and I have to resort to medication...on top of my daily prozac I hope to get to a point where I don't need it and can control it on my own but who knows when that will be. I don't mean to offend but I really don't think someone can comment on it unless they've been in that situation

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
June 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In your case it sounds like the situation was causing you to have the attacks. I think removing yourself was the best thing.

I left home at 18 with my now husband, against my parents wishes. Lots of people said it would never last. We are about to celebrate 10 yrs together. He is best thing that ever happened to me. Sorry to get all sappy. I'm pregnant with our 5th child(plus I have a stepson, so we will have 6 total).

I've been having panic attacks since my first child was born. They would come for no reason, and even when I was happy, and not stressed. I was diagnosed with Panic disorder. I lived 8 yrs without meds. After my daughter was born last year I started having anxiety attacks and heart palpatations all the time. I used meds for a few months, but I am back off them again. I went through behavorial therapy, and I learned different ways to deal with things. I think that helped a lot. I don't think I could 'cure' myself though.

June 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
CBMS
BTW... my fear is bridges. UGH... that's why I mentioned that one... I can not handle bridges over water. I feel like I'm dying when we even get close. No WAY would I handle having to be the one driving--if I know there's a water bridge, I go the long way or just don't go so I can avoid it.

I know exactly how it happened too, and one day, my uncle will have to face God for doing this to me.

I sound like a tiny baby when we have no choice but to drive over water bridges... Wish some of what I learned could get me over MY fear!

Quote:
I don't mean to offend but I really don't think someone can comment on it unless they've been in that situation [/b]
I guess you were talking to me just because I didn't mention my own fear? I haven't overcome mine, so I didn't feel it was noteworthy to be brought up. It exists still, so I still suffer from my attacks at times.

I do know there are tried and true ways to become desensitized to the stimulii that cause attacks, and I did think that was noteworthy.
June 28th, 2006, 08:39 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
BTW... my fear is bridges. UGH... that's why I mentioned that one... I can not handle bridges over water. I feel like I'm dying when we even get close. No WAY would I handle having to be the one driving--if I know there's a water bridge, I go the long way or just don't go so I can avoid it.

I know exactly how it happened too, and one day, my uncle will have to face God for doing this to me.

I sound like a tiny baby when we have no choice but to drive over water bridges... Wish some of what I learned could get me over MY fear!

Quote:
I don't mean to offend but I really don't think someone can comment on it unless they've been in that situation [/b]
I guess you were talking to me just because I didn't mention my own fear? I haven't overcome mine, so I didn't feel it was noteworthy to be brought up. It exists still, so I still suffer from my attacks at times.

I do know there are tried and true ways to become desensitized to the stimulii that cause attacks, and I did think that was noteworthy.
[/b]
No,No. I just think that unless you, yourself have experienced it or been with someone who suffers from it, it's hard to understand, even if you are book smart about it. I am sure that for a lot of people, what you are talking about works well. I wish I was one of those people

Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
June 29th, 2006, 06:13 AM
syncere
Nope you werent just lucky.. you can self cure as I did it myself as well.. Mine was so bad to the point where I visited the e.r a more times than I care to mention because I felt I could 'not breath' my heart was racing etc.. They tried to medicate me with xanax.. I took one didnt like it just thought to myself I dont need meds for this.. I can fix it on my own and did
June 29th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ive had panic disrder since I was 4. I dont think you can self cure, but you can help yourself get over it before it starts (if that makes sense,Kind of liek supressing it) I havent had a full blown panic attack since 2004. However Ive 'almost' had one a lot of times because of a lot of stress and a new baby etc. I havent actually had a full blown one because I try and talk myself out of it. I have had mini ones but nothing nearly as bad as before, I did however resort to getting my anti-anxiety pills again (more of a support, knowing they are there helps supress them)

OH god, I know all too well the ER visits. I had this one male nurse who was always so mean and was liek "what you are here again!" yea thats gonna make me feel better. He slammed me down so much that I am at the point now, If anyhting happens to me thats not physical (blood, scrapes broken arm etc) I am not going into the ER.

another thin gyou have to learn to do, Is the things that bring on panic attacks (crowds, malls, busses, cats, whatever) Yoou have to just jump in and get into those things. Me sometimes its driving, so I go for a drive. hard to explain
June 29th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes to a point. If you can avoid the stimuli (like your parents house) then maybe. Mine is classified more as GED. Meaning nothing really sets it off it just "happens". I never have panic attacks when I'm busy or stressed only when I'm relaxing. So even though I KNOW what's going on, and sometimes I can "breathe" through the attacks. They will never go away and I can't see me stopping paxil (10 mg, low dose) anytime soon since when I have attacks I stop eating and end up losing way to much weight.
June 29th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been diagnosed with generalised anxiety and social anxiety ...

there are times I have panic and anxiety attacks too and WITHOUT triggers

yes I think to a point it can be controlled without meds ... (I have two meds though to hang on to ... just in case)

Its not a good feeling to hyperventilate, feel like walls are closing in, cold sweat, chest feeling about to explode ...

its not easy to square breathe which is probably one of the best thing to calm a full blown anxiety attack from coming on full blast.

I try to cope without the meds cause the meds can tend to be addictive ... but I do need the meds at times and mainly my night ones cause night time anxiety along with insomnia is gross

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
June 29th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I also have them without triggers too. Most ppl's are caused by something, OR they start having triggers AND just sitting at home doing nothing (thats me lol) With myself, I just htink WAY too much for my own good.

The last panic attack I remmeber was so bad, and its horrible too because you want somene to hold you so bad but you dont want anyone to touch you (thats how I am) nothing like feeling liek you are going to die.

The meds are super addictive and I totally understand why. I had to get something kind of the same in the hospital after I had my daughter and one second I was freaking out and the next I was in heaven (it was through IV) The pills I have act in 20min (I am on disability for my panic disorder yet they cant give me the fast acting one sbecause they arent covered, go figure lol) Either way tho, Just knowing they are there sometimes helps alot. I think for me the reason why ive been able to control them a bit more the past couple years was because Ive had them all my life and I just wanted them to go away. I still have them a lot tho, but I call them mini attacks. anyways here I am getting into my life story lol, sorry. I just really liek getting panic disorder etc out there. I hate people who look at others liek they are crazy because of it.
June 29th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I also have them without triggers too. Most ppl's are caused by something, OR they start having triggers AND just sitting at home doing nothing (thats me lol) With myself, I just htink WAY too much for my own good.

The last panic attack I remmeber was so bad, and its horrible too because you want somene to hold you so bad but you dont want anyone to touch you (thats how I am) nothing like feeling liek you are going to die.

The meds are super addictive and I totally understand why. I had to get something kind of the same in the hospital after I had my daughter and one second I was freaking out and the next I was in heaven (it was through IV) The pills I have act in 20min (I am on disability for my panic disorder yet they cant give me the fast acting one sbecause they arent covered, go figure lol) Either way tho, Just knowing they are there sometimes helps alot. I think for me the reason why ive been able to control them a bit more the past couple years was because Ive had them all my life and I just wanted them to go away. I still have them a lot tho, but I call them mini attacks. anyways here I am getting into my life story lol, sorry. I just really liek getting panic disorder etc out there. I hate people who look at others liek they are crazy because of it.[/b]
oooh I hear ya ... I'm a chronic over thinker ... I think think think and my idle mind wreaks havoc until I get myself into a twisted mess if I'm not careful and make a conscious effort to keep calm and / or detour my thoughts and actions so that's why I do crafts to occupy me elsewhere.

as for the meds ... I loved my xanax too much my pdoc said LOL so she changed it to something else that I have right now that I cant remember the name of atm, plus I have the ativan for night time.

<<<< How I look during a panic attack I'm sure to other people watching me.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search