Log In Sign Up

Depression


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
June 28th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 717
My mom has always beein depressed on and off her whole life. She gets depressed about this....they automatically give her some pills to "take care" of it. Then she starts having anxiety attacks and then panic attacks so they give her some more pills to "take care" of it. Now she is diagnosed as being bipolar and given more pills...

When does it stop? It NEVER stops!!!! Every time my mom tries to get help EVERY Dr. wants to automatically send her to someone who ONLY wants to give my mom MORE pills (that she has now become addicted too and is completely dependent on) to "take care" of it. ARG!!

Why don't you TALK to her?????????? Pills don't solve EVERYTHING. What about counseling to deal with her mental/emotional issues first instead of trying to keep giving her medecine to make her ignore what is really wrong?? And yea, there are lots of ppl out there who simply cannot function without meds and I totally get that. No doubt about it. But it seems like everyone is so quick to jump the gun on handing out pills to "mask the real problem" instead of diving into the persons emotions and solving it....

So, my question is: Should you be sent to a psychologist or a psychiatrist first?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
June 28th, 2006, 08:32 PM
CBMS
Guest
Posts: n/a
As a general rule, psychiatrists medicate. They're MD's. That's just what they do. Very few talk to you for longer than a few minutes.

If your mom wants talk therapy, then a psychologist is the way to go. PsyD's don't have medical degrees, they have degrees that are very psychospecific, so that's where she could get the good talk therapy.

Good luck to her.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
June 28th, 2006, 08:34 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Offutt AFB, NE
Posts: 19,799
Quote:
My mom has always beein depressed on and off her whole life. She gets depressed about this....they automatically give her some pills to "take care" of it. Then she starts having anxiety attacks and then panic attacks so they give her some more pills to "take care" of it. Now she is diagnosed as being bipolar and given more pills...

When does it stop? It NEVER stops!!!! Every time my mom tries to get help EVERY Dr. wants to automatically send her to someone who ONLY wants to give my mom MORE pills (that she has now become addicted too and is completely dependent on) to "take care" of it. ARG!!

Why don't you TALK to her?????????? Pills don't solve EVERYTHING. What about counseling to deal with her mental/emotional issues first instead of trying to keep giving her medecine to make her ignore what is really wrong?? And yea, there are lots of ppl out there who simply cannot function without meds and I totally get that. No doubt about it. But it seems like everyone is so quick to jump the gun on handing out pills to "mask the real problem" instead of diving into the persons emotions and solving it....

So, my question is: Should you be sent to a psychologist or a psychiatrist first?[/b]

I was on anti-depressants for a while. I was seeing a psychiatrist who worked with me to find a psychologist. Every appointment I would sit with the psychiatrist first and then finish up with the psychologist. The two worked very close in hand with each other, and it really helped me. I don't think you can seriously succeed in overcoming depression if you don't have a three way relationship with both doctors.
__________________
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)





My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
June 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 717
Quote:
As a general rule, psychiatrists medicate. They're MD's. That's just what they do. Very few talk to you for longer than a few minutes.

If your mom wants talk therapy, then a psychologist is the way to go. PsyD's don't have medical degrees, they have degrees that are very psychospecific, so that's where she could get the good talk therapy.

Good luck to her.[/b]

Oh, I know the difference LOL!! What I was saying was that every Dr. she has ever seen has automatically sent her and told her to go to the psychiatrist. No one has ever mentioned going to a psychologist to her (except family)..but she trusts her Dr. so she consistently only goes to see the psychiatrist.

So...I guess my REAL question since I so pooily stated it..LOL!! is this:

If you are suffereing from depression, should your Dr. send you to a psychologist or a psychiatrist first? Or both at the same time? Do you think it irresponsible of the Dr. to send you to a psychiatrist first and not even mention the psychologist?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
June 28th, 2006, 08:44 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4,435
My opinion would be to see a psychologist first. DS is bi-polar and we saw a psychologist for 6 years before seeing a psychiatrist and then it was only because we felt the time was right for meds. I do have to add however, that ds wasn't properly diagnosed until he saw the psychiatrist. It was one of those times where someone says " you know, this sounds like classic bi-polar behavior to me, not ADHD...and my mind went "duh" why didn't we see this before. Our psychiatrist was definitely more educated than the psychol as well.

edited to add...I think a dr should reccomend the psychol first, then the psychiatrist. I think it would be irresponsible not to. The therapy part is just as important and our ds sure doesn't get that from his psychiatrist. It's "here's your prescription, that'll be $125.00"
__________________










Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
Reply With Quote
  #6  
June 28th, 2006, 08:45 PM
CBMS
Guest
Posts: n/a
I suppose that would depend on the Dr's opinion on how depressed or whatever the patient is. A major depressive episode can result in suicide, so I guess at that point the most important thing to an MD is medication.

It really depends on the doctors involved.

When my niece was depressed when she was 13 or 14, her doctor NEVER sent her for counseling--the family doc wrote a script and that was it... I thought that was a little strange, too... but MD's are that way... they are pro-meds...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
June 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 717
Quote:
I suppose that would depend on the Dr's opinion on how depressed or whatever the patient is. A major depressive episode can result in suicide, so I guess at that point the most important thing to an MD is medication.

It really depends on the doctors involved.

When my niece was depressed when she was 13 or 14, her doctor NEVER sent her for counseling--the family doc wrote a script and that was it... I thought that was a little strange, too... but MD's are that way... they are pro-meds...[/b]
Which I think is poo. They don't want to help ppl solve their problems. They just want to hop you up on pills so you can "forget" about it. Arg...

I think psychology first. If it's severe...psychology and psychiatry for the meds while you are seeing your psychologist. Once you resolve your depression (if you can, not everyone can) then no more meds and no more psychologist.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
June 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
CBMS
Guest
Posts: n/a
I think some people can honestly never be off the meds... but I don't know... My DH tells me that I'm one of those people. but he's a #####, so that's beside the point... HA!

I know it's rare, though, to find a psychiatrist that actually talks... mine does... but she's always so busy that it's next to impossible to get in to see her, which is why I'm never on my meds... Oh well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
June 28th, 2006, 09:28 PM
mrobinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
I think some people can honestly never be off the meds... but I don't know... My DH tells me that I'm one of those people. but he's a #####, so that's beside the point... HA!

I know it's rare, though, to find a psychiatrist that actually talks... mine does... but she's always so busy that it's next to impossible to get in to see her, which is why I'm never on my meds... Oh well. [/b]
I was wrong republicans can be funny. (I laugh at my husband too..)

I agree counselling before medication... (Sometimes both can work better but from what I'm reading... just go with counselling!)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
June 28th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Overland Park, Kansas
Posts: 717
lol lol lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
June 28th, 2006, 09:47 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4,435
Quote:
I think some people can honestly never be off the meds... but I don't know... My DH tells me that I'm one of those people. but he's a #####, so that's beside the point... HA!

I know it's rare, though, to find a psychiatrist that actually talks... mine does... but she's always so busy that it's next to impossible to get in to see her, which is why I'm never on my meds... Oh well. [/b]
Ha! If I'm in a particularly bad mood one day, dh will say " did you take your meds today?"
At that point, he should be hoping I did
__________________










Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
Reply With Quote
  #12  
June 28th, 2006, 09:51 PM
mrobinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
I'm starting a new thread for making fun of our husbands! (Or them making fun of us? )
Reply With Quote
  #13  
June 28th, 2006, 09:54 PM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4,435
Quote:
I'm starting a new thread for making fun of our husbands! (Or them making fun of us? ) [/b]
Count me in! We can call it " things our dumba$$ husbands do"
__________________










Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
Reply With Quote
  #14  
June 28th, 2006, 11:50 PM
irishxrose
Guest
Posts: n/a
I'm Bi-Polar, and my old therapist kept putting me on Zoloft. She was a very stupid woman...

Anyways, you should always see a psychologist so they can diagnose exactly what you have, and to at least attempt therapy before you see a psychiatrist. I like my psychiatrist. He's become the one who gives me meds AND talks to me! But anyways my illness is so bad, I have to be on medication for the rest of my life... I just can't "deal with it". It sucks .

Oh well, at least I remember to take my birth control now because I'm already taking pills!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
June 29th, 2006, 07:02 AM
LouLouMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 4,435
Quote:
I'm Bi-Polar, and my old therapist kept putting me on Zoloft. She was a very stupid woman...

Anyways, you should always see a psychologist so they can diagnose exactly what you have, and to at least attempt therapy before you see a psychiatrist. I like my psychiatrist. He's become the one who gives me meds AND talks to me! But anyways my illness is so bad, I have to be on medication for the rest of my life... I just can't "deal with it". It sucks .

Oh well, at least I remember to take my birth control now because I'm already taking pills! [/b]
Sorry Andrika, it does suck. I was just joking with dh about our puppy, she is crazy nervous around anyone new and any other dogs...I said "even our dog has anxiety" I have to laugh about it otherwise it's just too depressing, kwim? I don't know if our son will ever be off meds but knowing you and how well you seem to be doing, it gives me hope I argue with him just about as much as I argue with you too
__________________










Angel~9/12/05~with us for 5 weeks</span></span></span>
Reply With Quote
  #16  
June 29th, 2006, 07:21 AM
jekr43's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,798
I'm bi-polar and have always done both, Psychiatrist for meds and Pyschologist for therapy. The combination of the the two really helps keep me stable.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #17  
June 29th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: *queen city* of North Carolina
Posts: 9,497
I took zoloft for depression, a few years ago. Dh kept saying, I took it to "cover up" the problems. But for me, it helped me to work threw the what was causing the depression. Talking to a professional wouldn't have helped me.

My brother, who is diagnoised with just a mix of everything more or less, benifits greatly with a psyciotrist *sp*, it's also helped get a proper diagnoise, and medication. However, right now my dad has taken him off meds, and isn't seeing any dr period -- very scary.
__________________
Proud Mommy To My Princess (5)
Watching over us -- August 2005, March 2010, October 2010, July 2011
Reply With Quote
  #18  
June 29th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,865
wow this is a subject I shoudlnt be touching again, but here we go.

from MY personal experience, I found that psychiatrists too pushy with meds, also without giving you a total side effects speal. I was on anti depressents for 4 yrs, the worst 4 yrs of my life. If I had a pycholigist to go to, I probably wouldnt have needed the meds, or very few. I am not going to gt into this hardcore, I find ppla little too sensitive on this situation (for good reason) I just dont think ppl should be popping pills before talking to someone professionally and seeng if that works too. I think the pills screw with parts of the brain that arent fully understood and that they also shouldnt be given to ppl under the age of 18 UNLESS obviously very needed. Anywyas I probably will only be reading this sopic fro now on because people tend to not liek my opinions on these issues (totally understood) I would also like to remind everyone these are MY OPINIONS and are not to be taken to heart.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
June 29th, 2006, 10:41 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 26,485
There are other options besides psychologists and psychiatrists for therapy. I am a social worker and do the same thing as a psychologist. There are also counselors.

In general research show that meds alone dont work as well as meds with therapy. My personal viewpoint is that NO ONE should be on meds without first seeking therapy and continuing therapy while on the meds. I also cannot stand when doctors who are not psychiatrists prescribe psychotrophic drugs. Particularly pediatricians and family doctors.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
June 29th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ontario
Posts: 10,865
AGREED! My doctor, Shes a great doctor dont get me wrong, but she was kind of a pill pusher for anti depressants, than the psychiatrist would send me home with a shoppping bag FULL of samples so I could afford them, and the sleeping pills too so counteract the insomnia. Just wasnt fun.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 AM.