How Do You Feel About PETA??

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2006, 12:55 AM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm just wondering what everyones feelings are about PETA? Do you think they go to far? I came across this in my research and was horrified!! If something like this was passed out to my child I would be soooo pi**ed. I also heard that there were a few schools that passed it out to their students. What do you think...

http://www.furisdead.com/feat-momfur.asp

Josie

June 29th, 2006, 04:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You should see their handout on fishing...

It's crazy

"Until your Daddy learns that it's not fun to kill, keep your kitties and doggies away from him. He is so hooked on killing defenseless animals that they could be next!"

My opinion, in short, when it comes to PETA is that they are an extremist organization who uses false logic in order to spread their message. They give "animal rights" a bad name.
June 29th, 2006, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think PETA is a disgusting organization--they are almost as bad as the groups who go around protesting with big signboards showing pictures of chopped up aborted babies (I am pro-life, but those groups go way too far). I am a BIG fan of animals, but PETA goes way over the line when they do things like tell kids their fathers are going to kill their pets. I guess some whackos will stop at nothing to further what they think is right.

June 29th, 2006, 07:27 AM
kadydid
Quote:
My opinion, in short, when it comes to PETA is that they are an extremist organization who uses false logic in order to spread their message. They give "animal rights" a bad name.[/b]
ITA! And I am a vegetarian. I don't care for anyone prostelitizing, especially those that do it in such a gross manner.
June 29th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Ashes78
Quote:
You should see their handout on fishing...

It's crazy

"Until your Daddy learns that it's not fun to kill, keep your kitties and doggies away from him. He is so hooked on killing defenseless animals that they could be next!"

My opinion, in short, when it comes to PETA is that they are an extremist organization who uses false logic in order to spread their message. They give "animal rights" a bad name.[/b]
OMG, that was horrible! I like to fish and I am not about to start killing puppies and kittens. They are a bunch of nutcases.
June 29th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I like to fish and I am not about to start killing puppies and kittens. They are a bunch of nutcases.[/b]

I don't see anything wrong with hunting and fishing as long as you EAT what you have caught. I think it is wrong to fish for sport and throw the fish away though.

June 29th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I think their methods are twisted! If someone handed my child something like that I would be pissed!!
They also came under fire recently when they posted a billboard with a picture of Rudy Gulliani with a milk moustache that said "Got Prostate Cancer?", they ended up removing them.....but that is sick!
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/08/25/...ain227829.shtml

June 29th, 2006, 09:08 AM
chlodoll
I agree that some of their tactics are taken to extreme. I remember one ad that was comparing hanging and skinning animals, to black people being hung by the kkk! I thought that was extremely inappropriate!

But its hard to get these points across. Alot of people just dont care how animals are treated.
June 29th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Bow2thePrincess's Avatar Veteran
I'm a member of PETA and a major supporter. Yes, the go too far at times. But it's part of their persona.. they get things done that others can't. I just turn a blind eye to those who criticize!

Brittany and Paul
June, 18th 2003

Maddux Talan
April, 24th 2006

</div>
June 29th, 2006, 10:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
But their tactics make most people turn a blind eye to them.

However, I did get a kick out of the People Eating Tastey Animals website fight with PETA.
June 29th, 2006, 11:25 AM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a member, and I agree with it. In my mind, if it's ok to wear fur, then whyis it not okay for PETA to tell you children where it came from? It's not a lie, if mommy wears fur - she's a murderer in a sense because she is why these animals keep being killed for 'fashion'(along with EVERYONE else who wears it, not just mommy's, heck Jay-z and Diddy wear fur on TV all the time, I'm talking about them too). IMHO Fur is tacky and wearing it is just the same. I live in Southern WV, big hunting state, and I'll say it to anyone that brings up the subject, hunting is barberic, to me anyway. I've ate deer meat before, I used to like it when I was little, but I have no respect for a grown man who goes off to kill a defenseless animal, weather you eat it or not(around here anyway) it's still killing for sport, and it seems the way of thinking around here is 'the bigger the buck, the bigger the man' it's just senseless to me, and I have no clue how someone would enjoy it.

Just my take on it.
June 29th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I used to like it when I was little, but I have no respect for a grown man who goes off to kill a defenseless animal, weather you eat it or not(around here anyway) it's still killing for sport[/b]
Explain to me how killing an animal to eat it is "killing for sport"?

Hunting may be a "sport"; but if you are hunting for food (as we do!), you are killing the animal to eat it. Hence, you are killing to eat.

Someone should inform the indigenous peoples of Panama that their entire livelihood is just one big sport and they are a bunch of murderers
June 29th, 2006, 11:37 AM
MamaBx3
Yes, I think they go WAY too far .

All the commericials with the poachers killing the baby seals .. Everyone knows PETA is responsible for that .
Come on .. Do you really think a poacher would kill a seal in front of a camera ?

Give me a break .

~eta : anything to make money !!~
June 29th, 2006, 11:39 AM
pretty_in_a_casket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Alright now, who said anything about Panama? Was it me? No YOU brought them up, I was talking about grown men who go to kill deer and the like to eat it, yet still have a 'my buck was bigger than your buck' attitude. In my opinnion, and I was talking about experiences I have had with people around here, the main part of the kill is the sport, the 'fun' and they enjoy it. just because they happen to eat it dosen't put the fact theat they are doing it because they LIKE to do it on the back burner. Honestly, i have never met anyone that hunts that does it for the sole purpose of feeding their families and surviving, such as the people in Panama do. I bet your husband has a job, and you can afford food, I think this because you have a computer most likely, and if I was so poor that I HAD to hunt to survive, I wouldn't be buying things like a PC. I was talking aboput people in the united states, people who are well off and/or can provide food for their families in another way...like the VP, who still hunt.
June 29th, 2006, 11:43 AM
MamaBx3
IMO --- if we didn't hunt .. We'd be overrun with animals .
They would eat us . haha
June 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
PETA's VP uses animal tested insulin to control her diabetes.

THIS is a beauty of a quote from her:

Quote:
"I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. Twice a day I take synthetically manufactured insulin that still contains some animal products -- and I have no qualms about it ... I'm not going to take the chance of killing myself by not taking insulin. I don't see myself as a hypocrite. I need my life to fight for the rights of animals."[/b]
June 29th, 2006, 11:46 AM
chlodoll
Quote:
IMO --- if we didn't hunt .. We'd be overrun with animals .
They would eat us . haha[/b]
you think seals would eat us? you think minks would eat us? ferrets? chinchillas? animals i could step on a kill with my foot would eat us?

Peta is for ethical treatment of animals.
June 29th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Alright now, who said anything about Panama? Was it me? No YOU brought them up, I was talking about grown men who go to kill deer and the like to eat it, yet still have a 'my buck was bigger than your buck' attitude. In my opinnion, and I was talking about experiences I have had with people around here, the main part of the kill is the sport, the 'fun' and they enjoy it. just because they happen to eat it dosen't put the fact theat they are doing it because they LIKE to do it on the back burner. Honestly, i have never met anyone that hunts that does it for the sole purpose of feeding their families and surviving, such as the people in Panama do. I bet your husband has a job, and you can afford food, I think this because you have a computer most likely, and if I was so poor that I HAD to hunt to survive, I wouldn't be buying things like a PC. I was talking aboput people in the united states, people who are well off and/or can provide food for their families in another way...like the VP, who still hunt.[/b]

OHHH, i see, so if we go to the store and buy the stuff that is raised in crap conditions and beat over the head before being slaughtered, then that would be better than hunting.

I am from Panama, where many people still hunt for survival. Here in the States, we hunt for our meat because it is both more humane and healthier for our family (as well as offering more variety).
June 29th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I want someone to explain to me how killing an animal is MURDER. It clearly is not.

I think that torturing and harming animals for fun is shameful and abhorrent, but killing an animal to eat it or to make something useful for humans is not murder, nor is it wrong. In my world, humans come first and if using animals in cancer or other research will benefit humans, I am all for it.

I guess if you believe that humans are no more than just a class of animals who happened to develop faster than all the other animals, then I can see where you think that humans = animals. But I don't subscribe to that theory.

June 29th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Quote:
Alright now, who said anything about Panama? Was it me? No YOU brought them up, I was talking about grown men who go to kill deer and the like to eat it, yet still have a 'my buck was bigger than your buck' attitude. In my opinnion, and I was talking about experiences I have had with people around here, the main part of the kill is the sport, the 'fun' and they enjoy it. just because they happen to eat it dosen't put the fact theat they are doing it because they LIKE to do it on the back burner. Honestly, i have never met anyone that hunts that does it for the sole purpose of feeding their families and surviving, such as the people in Panama do. I bet your husband has a job, and you can afford food, I think this because you have a computer most likely, and if I was so poor that I HAD to hunt to survive, I wouldn't be buying things like a PC. I was talking aboput people in the united states, people who are well off and/or can provide food for their families in another way...like the VP, who still hunt.[/b]
So it is okay to eat an animal if you cannot afford to buy food? I need to know the ground rules for when it is okay for me to eat meat so I can make sure that I abide by them.

Okay, let me get this straight, if the hunter enjoyed killing the meat I should not eat it....right? Hmmm, well I also like to decorate my home, does that make me need for shelter any less important? I am from Texas and I have eaten cows that had just the day before been grazing in my pasture and I have eaten deer that my dad killed as well, but my need for this meat is negated by the fact that we can afford to go to our local grocery store....I am having trouble with this one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search