Bottle/Sippy cup in bed... WDYT?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Eka09M
Do you put your child to bed with a bottle or sippy cup?

Do you think it is smart/ok for a parent to put their child to bed with a bottle or sippy cup (nap time or night time)?

I did NOT ever put my child to bed with a bottle or sippy cup. I really dislike when I see or hear about parents who put their children to bed with a bottle or sippy cup. I know each parent has the right to do as the please, I just see first hand what can happen to children's teeth (even before they break through the gums) if they are put to bed with a bottle or sippy cup. My nephew (DH's brother's child) has SEVERE baby bottle tooth decay (he is 4 years old). His teeth began decaying before he was even 18 months old! Right now his front teeth look like 2 tiny brown spikes...... thats how bad they are decayed! His other teeth aren't far from that. I know it has to be painful, and at that young of an age I think it is 100% the parents fault! Children that young are not capable of taking care of themselves, its definitely the parents responsibility. My BIL and SIL fill up my nephew's sippy cup with PURE APPLE JUICE and send him to bed with it. They probably fill it up 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night as well. Apple juice (and soda) are the only things he will drink. His tooth decay could have been prevented if he wasn't sent to bed with a bottle/sippy cup AND if my BIL/SIL would have taken better care of his teeth (like brushed them or wiped them off). They have 2 other children (8 years old and 10 years old) who have bad teeth as well, but not nearly as bad as the 4 year olds.

*****THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE WATER, THOUGH I BELIEVE IT IS STILL A BAD HABIT... BUT ITS YOUR CHILD SO I'M NOT THE ONE WHO HAS TO WORRY ABOUT BREAKING THE HABIT!*****
June 29th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you put your child to bed with a bottle or sippy cup? No

Do you think it is smart/ok for a parent to put their child to bed with a bottle or sippy cup (nap time or night time)?
No, for several reasons. Number one is it bad for their teeth, wether they have any or not. #2 Its just another habit to break as they get older. Im busy enough without any extra bad habits to break, lol.

June 29th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I do not put her to bed with one, but when she wakes up in the middle of the night (well 530 in the morning) I give her her bottle while shes still in her crib and take it out when she is done. This way I dont wake her up.
June 29th, 2006, 06:22 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son gets a sippy at bedtime, full of water. nothing else. In fact he has a sippy cup that stays in his room at all times with water in it. I have a glass of water next to the bed when I go to sleep. I don't see a difference.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 29th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I do not put her to bed with one, but when she wakes up in the middle of the night (well 530 in the morning) I give her her bottle while shes still in her crib and take it out when she is done. This way I dont wake her up.[/b]

June 29th, 2006, 09:07 PM
kadydid
Do you put your child to bed with a bottle or sippy cup? No

Do you think it is smart/ok for a parent to put their child to bed with a bottle or sippy cup (nap time or night time)? No

After seeing the long term affects of bottle mouth on a child, I would never lay let my child sleep like that. Or suck on milk/juice all day long, it is so bad for them.
June 30th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Eka09M
Quote:
I do not put her to bed with one, but when she wakes up in the middle of the night (well 530 in the morning) I give her her bottle while shes still in her crib and take it out when she is done. This way I dont wake her up[/b]
Do you clean their gums off after they are finished?

Quote:
My son gets a sippy at bedtime, full of water. nothing else. In fact he has a sippy cup that stays in his room at all times with water in it. I have a glass of water next to the bed when I go to sleep. I don't see a difference.[/b]
I shouldn't really include water in this debate, water isn't harmful... I'll change my original post and be more detailed about the liquids in the bottle/sippy cup!

Though I do believe that its a bad habit no matter what is in the sippy cup/bottle.... but its not my child so I don't have to be the one to break the child from it!
June 30th, 2006, 06:51 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
I do not put her to bed with one, but when she wakes up in the middle of the night (well 530 in the morning) I give her her bottle while shes still in her crib and take it out when she is done. This way I dont wake her up[/b]

Quote:
My son gets a sippy at bedtime, full of water. nothing else. In fact he has a sippy cup that stays in his room at all times with water in it. I have a glass of water next to the bed when I go to sleep. I don't see a difference.[/b]
I shouldn't really include water in this debate, water isn't harmful... I'll change my original post and be more detailed about the liquids in the bottle/sippy cup!

Though I do believe that its a bad habit no matter what is in the sippy cup/bottle.... but its not my child so I don't have to be the one to break the child from it!
[/b][/quote]

how is it a bad habit? Do you have a glass of water next to your bed at night? I do. What is the difference between that and a sippy cup next to my sons bed?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
June 30th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Eka09M
Do I have a glass of water beside my bed at night? NO! I don't. My opinion on why it is a bad habit is because I believe A LOT of children become dependent on having it with them and in MY house, its not something I am willing to do or deal with. Its almost like a "security" type thing...... and I see this first hand with my 4 year old nephew. He WILL NOT go to bed without his sippy cup and without it being full of apple juice...... which is why his teeth are rotting out of his head! Its really sad!

If I need a drink before I go to bed, I drink so water and head to bed... I don't keep a glass of water in the bedroom. If I wake up in the middle of the night and feel like I need a drink, I get up and walk into the kitchen and get a small drink. Then I go back to bed... no big deal.

Anyhow-- this is getting off topic..... this is more about the cause of baby bottle tooth decay by having a bottle or sippy cup (filled with milk, juice, etc NOT WATER) with them in bed!
June 30th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

[/b][/quote]

no I dont clean her gums after her mid morning bottle. Do you? Has anyone when they were small also done this, liek when the baby was waking up 2-3times a night, most liekly not. I clean her teeth+gums before bed and in the morning. I dont see how keeping her in her crib to drink herbottle and taking it out is any different than picking them up and giving them a bottle. KWIM. I think tooth rot is more because ppl KEEP the bottle in the crib so the kid is free to suckle on it all night long. My brother had tooth rot, he had his 4 front teeth pulled at 1yrs old. That happened because my mom always put him to bed with apple juice and never took it out. I also think theres no difference with giving a baby a bottle, than putting the soother back in his/her mouth after they are done and putting them in bed.
June 30th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine does get a sippy cup of chocolate milk before bed but doesn't take it to bed with him. But we keep a water bottle by our bed, as do all my kids by their bed. Prevents continuous trips out of bed for drinks of water.

July 1st, 2006, 07:00 AM
Eka09M
Quote:
no I dont clean her gums after her mid morning bottle. Do you? Has anyone when they were small also done this, liek when the baby was waking up 2-3times a night, most liekly not.[/b]
Yes. I wiped my daughter's mouth out after every single bottle. But thats just me........... and I will do the same with all of my children.
July 1st, 2006, 07:30 AM
Super Mommy
I don't think I'll let Kailey go to bed with a bottle/sippy cup...but only because she may get attatched to it. Wait, what age are we talking about? If the child is like 2-3 or something and sleeping in a bed where they can get up, I'll leave a bottle of water (not a bottle full of water) on their dresser or something in case they get thirsty at night... I don't know exactly where I stand on this.

If the mouth is cleaned regularly they shouldn't get tooth rot should they? I'm not sure, I don't have much experience with this type of discussion before...

And Eka, it sounds to me like having a sippy/bottle isn't the sole problem of the teeth problem with those kids. The parents obviously don't take care of their teeth since the other children have bad teeth as well. Like I said, maybe if the teeth were cleaned regularly they might not have this problem??
July 1st, 2006, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
no I dont clean her gums after her mid morning bottle. Do you? Has anyone when they were small also done this, liek when the baby was waking up 2-3times a night, most liekly not.[/b]
Yes. I wiped my daughter's mouth out after every single bottle. But thats just me........... and I will do the same with all of my children.
[/b][/quote]

thats great and I applaud you for that, but theres no way when im half asleep and shes half asleep im sicking my hand anywhere near her mouth. She will either end up biting me or waking up. She usually just turns around and goes back to sleep.
July 1st, 2006, 08:23 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree that a bottle in bed is a bad idea. It's a bad habit, and does lead to tooth decay.

I think that over brushing or wiping your childs teeth can be just as bad because the natural enamal will start to wear(according to what my dentist said).

July 2nd, 2006, 05:43 AM
Eka09M
Quote:
And Eka, it sounds to me like having a sippy/bottle isn't the sole problem of the teeth problem with those kids. The parents obviously don't take care of their teeth since the other children have bad teeth as well. Like I said, maybe if the teeth were cleaned regularly they might not have this problem??[/b]
It isn't the SOLE problem, but it definitely contributes to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
thats great and I applaud you for that, but theres no way when im half asleep and shes half asleep im sicking my hand anywhere near her mouth. She will either end up biting me or waking up. She usually just turns around and goes back to sleep.[/b]
My daughter started sleeping through the night around 7 or 8 weeks so she wasn't getting a middle of the night bottle for a while, I just made it routine that when I made a bottle, I had a warm washcloth with me to wipe her face and gums off... I guess its much easier when you are in the habit of doing so. Once her teeth came in, we began using a toothbrush and water.... which we use 2 times a day.

Quote:
I think that over brushing or wiping your childs teeth can be just as bad because the natural enamal will start to wear(according to what my dentist said).[/b]
I don't feel I'm "over brushing" or "over wiping".... its not like I'm scrubbing them! LOL But I did feel I needed to wipe off any excess formula from her gums so that it wasn't just sitting there.... ICK! I don't like having food on my teeth! Now that she has teeth, we brush them with a toothbrush and water 2x per day... which I don't think is over doing it, and I'm not "scrubbing" them... just cleaning them off.... I think its very important. But I do agree that too much isn't good.... I just don't feel I fall under that category!
July 2nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Quote:
I think that over brushing or wiping your childs teeth can be just as bad because the natural enamal will start to wear(according to what my dentist said).[/b]
I don't feel I'm "over brushing" or "over wiping".... its not like I'm scrubbing them! LOL But I did feel I needed to wipe off any excess formula from her gums so that it wasn't just sitting there.... ICK! I don't like having food on my teeth! Now that she has teeth, we brush them with a toothbrush and water 2x per day... which I don't think is over doing it, and I'm not "scrubbing" them... just cleaning them off.... I think its very important. But I do agree that too much isn't good.... I just don't feel I fall under that category!
[/b][/quote]

I didn't say YOU over brushed, just in general that over brushing is just as bad. Some babies have over 10 bottles a day...I think that could be over doing it a bit. I never washed my kids mouth out after every bottle and they have great teeth.

July 2nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Eka09M
Oh Tara, it wasn't taking it personal... I know you didn't mean me specifically!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brinlee never had more than 5, maybe 6 bottles per day.

And I love the siggy, Nicholas is so stinkin cute! I love his long hair (I meant to tell you this before when I first saw this siggy!).
July 2nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Thanks! I need to cut his hair soon, it's getting longer than I like.

July 2nd, 2006, 01:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
And Eka, it sounds to me like having a sippy/bottle isn't the sole problem of the teeth problem with those kids. The parents obviously don't take care of their teeth since the other children have bad teeth as well. Like I said, maybe if the teeth were cleaned regularly they might not have this problem??[/b]
It isn't the SOLE problem, but it definitely contributes to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
thats great and I applaud you for that, but theres no way when im half asleep and shes half asleep im sicking my hand anywhere near her mouth. She will either end up biting me or waking up. She usually just turns around and goes back to sleep.[/b]
My daughter started sleeping through the night around 7 or 8 weeks so she wasn't getting a middle of the night bottle for a while, I just made it routine that when I made a bottle, I had a warm washcloth with me to wipe her face and gums off... I guess its much easier when you are in the habit of doing so. Once her teeth came in, we began using a toothbrush and water.... which we use 2 times a day.

Quote:
[/b][/quote]

my daughter got her first teeth the day she turned 4mths, Ive been brushing with with a gum brusher 2X a day. I also now have a toothbrush we use 2x a day with baby toothpaste (no flouride) now that she has 8teeth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search