Child Predators

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2006, 09:42 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I believe that all parents should be cautious and teach their children to not talk to strangers and come to me if a stranger tries to talk to them. With that said......

There was a town close by where I live that went a little too far (IMO).

One day a boy walking home from the school bus, was stopped by a man in an SUV looking for his puppy. He described it to the boy and gave the boy his phone number in case he seen the puppy. The boy went home and told his mother and the mother immediately called the police. 2 other kids saw the same man who asked them the same question and gave them both his phone number. The neighborhood started a watch program and (this is what I don't understand) put up flyers that had a description of the man and his SUV and called him a "child predator". They went on local news looking for this guy and calling him "a child predator".

Not even a week later, a puppy showed up in that same neighborhood with a collar that had this "child predator's" name and phone number on it. The same number that he gave the children and the dog was the same description. The man lived 3 or 4 blocks away from this neighborhood. When the lady who found the puppy called the man, he wasn't at home....because he was at the police station getting questioned about being a "child predator."

Do you think this neighborhood went too far or they were doing the right thing? Your thoughts....[/b]
Civil liberties are a privledge to me.. I know it's tramatic being handcuffed and brought down to a station in a case of mistaken identity, but I hope I would understand for this priviledge. Cops and witnesses make mistakes so if I have nothing to hide, I'll get set free.

Now to go onto the news and be called a child predator? I'd sue the pants off them unless and until they set the record straight.
June 30th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Honestly, I probably would have reacted the same way (not that I am proud of this). It is like the stereotype came to life, KWIM? A stranger with a van asking children to help him find his lost puppy?? How many of us heard that hypothetical when we got the "never talk to strangers" speech??

As a parent, though, if my child came home and told me this story I would have probably panicked. We live in an age where children are prey, we have to protect them. If protecting my children comes at the expense of someone else being inconvenienced....oh well (sorry, I know unpopular). I will sleep better knowing my children are safe because I went too far than knowing my child is missing or worse because I didn't go far enough.

June 30th, 2006, 09:50 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Honestly, I probably would have reacted the same way (not that I am proud of this). It is like the stereotype came to life, KWIM? A stranger with a van asking children to help him find his lost puppy?? How many of us heard that hypothetical when we got the "never talk to strangers" speech??

As a parent, though, if my child came home and told me this story I would have probably panicked. We live in an age where children are prey, we have to protect them. If protecting my children comes at the expense of someone else being inconvenienced....oh well (sorry, I know unpopular). I will sleep better knowing my children are safe because I went too far than knowing my child is missing or worse because I didn't go far enough.[/b]
But after you found out the truth I think you would set the record straight, right?
June 30th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Quote:
Quote:

As a parent, though, if my child came home and told me this story I would have probably panicked. We live in an age where children are prey, we have to protect them. If protecting my children comes at the expense of someone else being inconvenienced....oh well (sorry, I know unpopular). I will sleep better knowing my children are safe because I went too far than knowing my child is missing or worse because I didn't go far enough.[/b]
But after you found out the truth I think you would set the record straight, right?
[/b]
I (like to) think that I would go to the police station with this man's dog and extend my sincerest apologies and regrets. I also would hope that we both will have learned from this situation.

I don't know that these parent's overreacted, I think they reacted like normal, caring, concerned parents. If I thought a child predator was in my neighborhood I would call out every new station, paper, gossip, post it on craigslist....everything I could to protect my children and my neighborhood.
In hindsight, they were wrong and I hope they take appropriate action (which obviously they did since the story states the mistake made). In those shoes I would have done the same though.

June 30th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
IMO I would probably freak at first but then after it was found not to be true, I would set the record straight and apologize for any inconvenience this man suffered from an honest mistake.

June 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM
mrobinson
Is it honest? I mean, it's it kinda crazy we think of the worse case senerio first?
June 30th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Ashes78
If he was a child predator, why would he have given them his home phone number and drove off? He would have abducted them and not given them a chance to go home and give mom his home phone number. There being cautious and then there is being over paraniod. I think they were a bit over paranoid. For Pete's sake, why didn't the parents just call the guys number and talk to him before going to the police?
June 30th, 2006, 10:40 AM
mrobinson
((Fear leads to suffering))
June 30th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If he was a child predator, why would he have given them his home phone number and drove off? He would have abducted them and not given them a chance to go home and give mom his home phone number. There being cautious and then there is being over paraniod. I think they were a bit over paranoid. For Pete's sake, why didn't the parents just call the guys number and talk to him before going to the police?[/b]
I couldn't agree more.

June 30th, 2006, 10:48 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
If he was a child predator, why would he have given them his home phone number and drove off? He would have abducted them and not given them a chance to go home and give mom his home phone number. There being cautious and then there is being over paraniod. I think they were a bit over paranoid. For Pete's sake, why didn't the parents just call the guys number and talk to him before going to the police?[/b]
I couldn't agree more.
[/b]
If he seen the local news at all I wonder if he would done something differently too?
June 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
kadydid
Quote:
Civil liberties are a privledge to me.. I know it's tramatic being handcuffed and brought down to a station in a case of mistaken identity, but I hope I would understand for this priviledge. Cops and witnesses make mistakes so if I have nothing to hide, I'll get set free.

Now to go onto the news and be called a child predator? I'd sue the pants off them unless and until they set the record straight.[/b]
ITA

I think they may have overreacted (well obviously) like someone else stated why would he give them the phone number. As a parent I would question, but for that reason I don't think I would have gone as far as they did. But who knows, people do strange things when faced with things they didn't expect.
June 30th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Ashes78
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I couldn't agree more.
[/b]
If he seen the local news at all I wonder if he would done something differently too?
[/b]
I bet he wished he would have printed up some fliers instead.
June 30th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I will sleep better knowing my children are safe because I went too far than knowing my child is missing or worse because I didn't go far enough.[/b]
I agree! I live in a big city, and "you never know". It could just be a man [or women], looking for their dog; or it couldn't be. I'd rather be "over-parnoid", then something bad happen. If I lived in a smaller area, I probably wouldn't respond the same way, but living where I do, I'd rather somebody be brought in and questioned.
June 30th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Could there be a more STUPID man on the face of the earth?? I mean, to pull up to a boy on the sidewalk and ask for help in finding his puppy? I would have done the exact same thing, and my DH would have probably tried to track him down himself, and who knows what would have happened then.

AND, just because there actually was a puppy doesn't mean the guy was all innocent. Many predators use cute cuddly animals to lure children, and just because he didn't have a record that just means he hadn't been caught yet. Now giving out his phone number does tend to exonerate him, but still, why take any chances? There are lot of whackos out there.

Once a child's innocence is taken away, you can never get it back. It's not something you can just put a bandaid on. You can't be too careful with your children.

June 30th, 2006, 11:08 PM
Super Mommy
Poor guy. But at least it was looked into instead of ignored. Better to be safe than sorry. As long as he was apologized to (on the news for that matter) and everything was explained...I think it's ok....we all freak out and over-react..but it's better than not thinking about it at all and having something happen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search