Are you a feminist?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: If you had to pick one, and ONLY one, which would you choose
Work 2 10.53%
Stay home and raise a family 17 89.47%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 30th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What do you think feminism means? Do you consider yourself a feminist?

June 30th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is hard for me. I guess kinda?? I in no way think that men are better than women or more qaulified than women. But Im not a bra-burning man hater, lol. I guess my beleifs are that men and women are equal. And I would like to know what the poll question has to do with this topic? I dont think you have to work to be a feminist. I think women should be allowed to do what makes them happy. And if staying home with the kids makes them happy, than that doesnt make them any less of a person, or a "weak" woman..

June 30th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Bow2thePrincess's Avatar Veteran
I'm not really sure how I would define feminism. It's something I need to take more time to think about and ponder. I don't really consider myself a feminist though and would be happy to stay at home and raise a family!

Brittany and Paul
June, 18th 2003

Maddux Talan
April, 24th 2006

</div>
June 30th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I personally am not a feminist. I think women and men are built differently and their roles (while both are EQUALLY important) are not the SAME. And shouldn't be the same.

Women have children, and men don't. And at the end of the day, I think men should provide for their families. And the women should take care of their children. I don't think this based on any religious reason, it is just my opinion based on observations.

I think women try to do too much. Work, AND raise children, AND maintain a happy marriage. One of those things is going to fall to the wayside. Many times, the children don't get the attention they need. I despise the idea of latch-key kids. I also don't agree with daycares. Why have children if they are going to be spending most of their day with some strangers, or in a house alone?

In my opinion, feminism started out to give women choices (the choice to work, or stay home, for instance). But over time, it is just taking choices away from them. Many women HAVE to work now, they don't do it because they want to. They have flooded the market. Too many people competing for the same jobs, means the wages are lower. So now, the guy can't provide for his family and his wife HAS to work. It has gotten away from its original purpose.

June 30th, 2006, 12:01 PM
chlodoll
feminism doesnt mean going out and working! a sahm can be a feminist. a woman has the right to do either. its about womens rights.
June 30th, 2006, 12:11 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
What do you think feminism means? Do you consider yourself a feminist?[/b]
Feminists want equality. Yes I consider myself one. I wish people didn't assume man-hating had to be part of the definition.

Quote:
I personally am not a feminist. I think women and men are built differently and their roles (while both are EQUALLY important) are not the SAME. And shouldn't be the same.[/b]
What did you just want to pick a fight? I think they can be the same.

Quote:
Women have children, and men don't. And at the end of the day, I think men should provide for their families. And the women should take care of their children. I don't think this based on any religious reason, it is just my opinion based on observations.[/b]
"Taking care of their children" is pretty broad.. I think there are a million different ways to "take care" of a child or more.

Quote:
I think women try to do too much. Work, AND raise children, AND maintain a happy marriage. One of those things is going to fall to the wayside.[/b]
I think women are guilted into doing too much. I think most men don't have the concerns that women do.. I wonder why?

Quote:
Many times, the children don't get the attention they need. I despise the idea of latch-key kids. I also don't agree with daycares. Why have children if they are going to be spending most of their day with some strangers, or in a house alone?[/b]
Accidents happen, what do you do? On top of that, I think we undermine daycares.. They aren't that bad. Honestly I agree with why have kids because lots of women just do without long term thinking about it.

Quote:
In my opinion, feminism started out to give women choices (the choice to work, or stay home, for instance). But over time, it is just taking choices away from them. Many women HAVE to work now, they don't do it because they want to. They have flooded the market. Too many people competing for the same jobs, means the wages are lower. So now, the guy can't provide for his family and his wife HAS to work. It has gotten away from its original purpose.[/b]
I totally disagree. Our job market has exploded and they are aching for people where I come from. We need more people to substain our growth in the economy. I realize it's different in different parts of the world and country.. not here.

(I did pick sahm because other wasn't an option.)
June 30th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't think I would term myself a feminist. But I am a woman and my rights are just as important as any man's. I voted that I would love to stay home and raise my child. Unfortunately, the reality for me is that I have to work. I am the breadwinner in my family and we couldn't survive if DH and I both didn't work.

I also don't agree with daycares. Why have children if they are going to be spending most of their day with some strangers, or in a house alone?

Brody is in daycare 5 days a week...it would be nice if one of us could stay home...either of us. But to ask why did I have a child if this is the case? Offensive. Why should I not get to have the love of my own child just because I have to work. It doesn't mean he gets any less attention from me when I'm home. I work so we don't end up on welfare. I work so he can have the best things (or at least have things even if they aren't the best). I work so he will learn (someday when he understands) to value the importance of hard work. I work to express myself! I work so I'm not just someone's wife, or mother. Part of who I am is what I do. Why should I lose that just because Brody shouldn't have to be in daycare?

So, while I also don't burn bras I do believe I am just as good (if not better) than a man. So, does that make me a feminist?? If so, then I guess I am.

June 30th, 2006, 12:26 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
Feminists want equality. Yes I consider myself one. I wish people didn't assume man-hating had to be part of the definition.[/b]
No man-hating? booooooo lol

i consider myself one to,
June 30th, 2006, 12:27 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I also don't burn bras I do believe I am just as good (if not better) than a man. So, does that make me a feminist?? If so, then I guess I am. [/b]
Feminists aren't just man-hating bra-burners!!! They are the ones who fight for the rights of women and kids.
June 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Feminists want equality. Yes I consider myself one. I wish people didn't assume man-hating had to be part of the definition.[/b]
Sorry if I offended you, I was actually joking. I was just using that as an extreme, kwim? I consider myself a feminist in most aspects.

June 30th, 2006, 12:33 PM
chlodoll
I dont think someone can be a feminist and be pro-life.
June 30th, 2006, 12:33 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry if I offended you, I was actually joking. I was just using that as an extreme, kwim? I consider myself a feminist in most aspects.
[/b]
You just proved that most are angry. (of course I'm kidding)
June 30th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I dont think someone can be a feminist and be pro-life.[/b]
I disagree.

June 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Quote:
I dont think someone can be a feminist and be pro-life.[/b]
Im going to assume you are talking to me. And what do my personal beleifs have to do with anything? I have never said that it should be illegal. I dont think the government should have any control over womens reproductive rights. Just because I personally am pro-life, for myself, shouldnt have anything to do with me being a femanist..

June 30th, 2006, 12:39 PM
chlodoll
I dont think its being very pro-woman. You are judging women for there choices. But that my opinion
June 30th, 2006, 12:41 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
Being a feminist dosn't mean you have to go to work. i think it mean being strong, confident, and supportive of other women and their rights. It means that if you HAD to do it alone, you could.
mrobinson
Quote:
I dont think its being very pro-woman. You are judging women for there choices. But that my opinion [/b]
I just thought you were picking a fight. (I want to agree 100% but my feminists senses are telling me not too.. I'll have to think more why..)
Quote:
I dont think its being very pro-woman. You are judging women for there choices. But that my opinion [/b]
OMG! I love you girl, but that statment has ticked me off major How do you know I judge? Can you read my mind? And just becuase I choose not to have an abortion does not mean I look down on those who do. Im seriously angry right now.

June 30th, 2006, 12:43 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Quote:
OMG! I love you girl, but that statment has ticked me off major How do you know I judge? Can you read my mind? And just becuase I choose not to have an abortion does not mean I look down on those who do. Im seriously angry right now.
[/b]
I think you got one Chole! Jen.. I know you're angry. Let's just think about it more for a second.. We'll figure it out.. Hmm... I'll work and mediate.. I'll be back.
June 30th, 2006, 12:44 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
You refer to abortion as murder and killing. Is that not calling women who have abortions murderers? Is that not extremely offensive?

Jen I love you to I think this is the only thing we dont agree on lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search