Log In Sign Up

People who contradict themselves in separate debates


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
July 1st, 2006, 03:35 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central California
Posts: 16,959
Without actually pointing fingers at someone in particular, I have noticed that there is a poster in the debate forums who has contradicted herself in different threads. In each thread, she states something personal to backup her side of the debate, but 2 of her statements contradict each other. So, in one of the threads she was LYING.

I don't want to point out exactly who this particular poster is, because I don't want this to be a personal attack, but it got me wondering. How many of us on here have done that? I know that I haven't-lol. I'm too much of an open book and I don't have a tendency to personalize the debates and get insulted, but some of us do. When getting carried away and feeling attacked, some people may feel the need to defend themselves or "win" (but can one ever truly win a debate?) so strongly, that a situation is exaggerated or an experience invented, or maybe little details of their personal life are lied about to back their "right" position.

How many of us have had an inconsistency leap from the computer screen at us (most likely in 2 completely seperate debate threads) and thought "Can I really believe any personal experiences that people post about in a debate?" Now I get why "personal experience" really cannot be relied on over statistics and studies. To be honest, it kinda pissed me off a little.

Any thoughts?
__________________






  #2  
July 1st, 2006, 03:44 PM
Ashes78
Guest
Posts: n/a
I haven't really noticed anything. Then again, I don't read every topic in the debate section either and my memory sucks (so I can't remember everything that everyone has posted). If you are curious, why not just ask them nicely? Could you have misunderstood what they said? Man, I am nosey. Now I am wondering who you are talking about...lol.
  #3  
July 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: in my house
Posts: 7,374
I have noticed this, and it does make me wonder about the poster's credibility.

Quote:
Now I get why "personal experience" really cannot be relied on over statistics and studies. To be honest, it kinda pissed me off a little.[/b]
ITA!
It is irritating enough when people want to argue facts, statistics and studies with personal experience (instead of opposing documentation), but it is especially so when you realize that these experiences are contradicted in other threads.
__________________
Wife, Mother of 4, Homeschooling, and wine drinking.


  #4  
July 1st, 2006, 04:23 PM
chlodoll
Guest
Posts: n/a
I dont think I have done it lol

I have noticed it a few times since I am a big lurker in other boards lol But I dont call people out on things because I feel like it would be a little rude I guess.
  #5  
July 1st, 2006, 04:56 PM
kadydid
Guest
Posts: n/a
I haven’t debated on this site long enough to know who the exaggerators are, but is it possible that they are playing Devils advocate?

Sometimes I think that certain debate boards get too personal and people take things too seriously. When you have to debate in school, you don’t always debate things you agree with. Of course when someone always uses their own personal experiences and they tend to exaggerate or lie then I wouldn’t debate with that person anymore. And if I thought someone was a liar (as I have on another site) I told them what I thought and told them I would not debate with them any longer. (ya, I know I am a rude)

I lurk on some of the debates (but don’t bother with formula v/s Breast "for the most part" anymore because they are a redundant waist of time IMO) and I know that in some cases my experience’s defy what someone’s statistics say. And lots of times statistics can be countered with a different group’s statistics.

IMO I think it would be fun if on sites like this, people debated sides they didn’t agree with sometimes, you might learn a new perspective on things and keep people on their toes.

Sorry to ramble…….
  #6  
July 1st, 2006, 05:45 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: in my house
Posts: 7,374
Quote:
IMO I think it would be fun if on sites like this, people debated sides they didn’t agree with sometimes, you might learn a new perspective on things and keep people on their toes.[/b]
hmmmm...that would be intersting, we should try that!!
__________________
Wife, Mother of 4, Homeschooling, and wine drinking.


  #7  
July 1st, 2006, 05:47 PM
irishxrose
Guest
Posts: n/a
So who exactly are you referring to?

If it's me, you need to grow up and actually PM me with your problems with me. Stating them on a debate board is childish.
  #8  
July 1st, 2006, 05:52 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sylvania Township, Ohio
Posts: 22,176
I know I try not to contradict myself on here but sometimes I can see other people's POV who I didn't necessarily agree with before until it was explained to me. I think everyone has valid points on here and has the right to voice their opinions but also to change their minds, which then someone might call that a contradiction. If someone has a problem with that, then they need to PM the person and ask them NICELY why that is happening and then maybe they will be more than happy to explain it to them.

Oh and about the statistics and personal experiences, a lot of basis is on personal experience. That is why a lot of the women reply, because they know a little about the subject of the post.

This is just my opinion.
__________________
Thank you KimberlyD0 for my absolutely beautiful siggy!


  #9  
July 1st, 2006, 06:03 PM
irishxrose
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
I know I try not to contradict myself on here but sometimes I can see other people's POV who I didn't necessarily agree with before until it was explained to me. I think everyone has valid points on here and has the right to voice their opinions but also to change their minds, which then someone might call that a contradiction. If someone has a problem with that, then they need to PM the person and ask them NICELY why that is happening and then maybe they will be more than happy to explain it to them.

Oh and about the statistics and personal experiences, a lot of basis is on personal experience. That is why a lot of the women reply, because they know a little about the subject of the post.

This is just my opinion.[/b]
  #10  
July 1st, 2006, 06:08 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: in my house
Posts: 7,374
Quote:
I know I try not to contradict myself on here but sometimes I can see other people's POV who I didn't necessarily agree with before until it was explained to me. I think everyone has valid points on here and has the right to voice their opinions but also to change their minds, which then someone might call that a contradiction. If someone has a problem with that, then they need to PM the person and ask them NICELY why that is happening and then maybe they will be more than happy to explain it to them.

Oh and about the statistics and personal experiences, a lot of basis is on personal experience. That is why a lot of the women reply, because they know a little about the subject of the post.

This is just my opinion.[/b]
It's not a matter of changing your opinion, that is understandable. I have been swayed by these debates on more than one occasion to, at least, an understanding of the opposing view, KWIM? The OP is referring to people who claim in one debate that A-B-C happened to them and therefore their experience nullifies the facts or the statistics and then in a later debate on another topic they claim that the opposite happened and, again that this experience nullifies those facts and statistics.

Personal experience is always used, I don't think anyone is opposed to that. It is when people believe that their personal experience disproves studies, facts and statistics that is frustrating, especially when one's personal experience from the current debate differs from a previous explanation of their experience.
__________________
Wife, Mother of 4, Homeschooling, and wine drinking.


  #11  
July 1st, 2006, 06:20 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central California
Posts: 16,959
Quote:
So who exactly are you referring to?

If it's me, you need to grow up and actually PM me with your problems with me. Stating them on a debate board is childish.[/b]
OMG-there you go personalizing things again. This is not about you! I've never heard you contradict yourself, but OMG you do tend to take everything as an insult. I'm not talking about someone playing devil's advocate or changing their opinion-I completely respect that. Like Stacey said:


Quote:
The OP is referring to people who claim in one debate that A-B-C happened to them and therefore their experience nullifies the facts or the statistics and then in a later debate on another topic they claim that the opposite happened and, again that this experience nullifies those facts and statistics.

Personal experience is always used, I don't think anyone is opposed to that. It is when people believe that their personal experience disproves studies, facts and statistics that is frustrating, especially when one's personal experience from the current debate differs from a previous explanation of their experience.[/b]
__________________






  #12  
July 1st, 2006, 06:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Angelo, Texas
Posts: 3,274
Hmmm I don't think that I've ever done this, and if I did I wasn't aware of it lol. I do use my personal experience of being FF as an example that not all FF babies are unhealthy, but I don't try to put it above statistics or anything like that. I put on the Victoria's Secret debate topic that I agree that BFers should have the same rights as FFers so I don't really know if I was contradicting myself or not. I do think however, that you should PM the person you are referring to.
Amanda
__________________
  #13  
July 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM
Ashes78
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
I do think however, that you should PM the person you are referring to.
Amanda[/b]
I agree. If you have this much of a problem with it, maybe you should let them know. They may not even realize it.
  #15  
July 1st, 2006, 06:41 PM
irishxrose
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Quote:
So who exactly are you referring to?

If it's me, you need to grow up and actually PM me with your problems with me. Stating them on a debate board is childish.[/b]
OMG-there you go personalizing things again. This is not about you! I've never heard you contradict yourself, but OMG you do tend to take everything as an insult. I'm not talking about someone playing devil's advocate or changing their opinion-I completely respect that. Like Stacey said:


Quote:
The OP is referring to people who claim in one debate that A-B-C happened to them and therefore their experience nullifies the facts or the statistics and then in a later debate on another topic they claim that the opposite happened and, again that this experience nullifies those facts and statistics.

Personal experience is always used, I don't think anyone is opposed to that. It is when people believe that their personal experience disproves studies, facts and statistics that is frustrating, especially when one's personal experience from the current debate differs from a previous explanation of their experience.[/b]
[/b]
Well, lately you have been saying rather rude things to me, so it's no wonder that I thought you were directing this at me. And I don't take everything as an insult, but I'm rather sick of people indirectly attacking me, and you can't tell me that no one on this board does that.

Thank you for clearing that up for me. But really, if you're having such a problem with this person, then you should PM them.
  #16  
July 1st, 2006, 06:43 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: in my house
Posts: 7,374
Quote:
Could a person have 2 different sides to their story? Both good and bad? Get what I mean? Like one debate she could say, "oh my labor was long and hard." Then in another debate say that she had an easy time pushing the baby out?

I see that being considered contradicting, but if you look at it like that then its okay right? Someone could have a long and hard labor, but a quick delivery. Does that make any sense?

Opinions can be changed like panties. Hopefully more so than not That is having an open mind right?[/b]
It is not opinions changing, though, it is personal experiences. (ie one day saying she loves to slide because it is so fun and there is no danger, and another day saying she hates the slide and has and will never go down it).
__________________
Wife, Mother of 4, Homeschooling, and wine drinking.


  #17  
July 1st, 2006, 06:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: San Angelo, Texas
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Opinions can be changed like panties.[/b]
LMAO.
Amanda
__________________
  #19  
July 1st, 2006, 06:51 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Sylvania Township, Ohio
Posts: 22,176
Quote:
Quote:
Could a person have 2 different sides to their story? Both good and bad? Get what I mean? Like one debate she could say, "oh my labor was long and hard." Then in another debate say that she had an easy time pushing the baby out?

I see that being considered contradicting, but if you look at it like that then its okay right? Someone could have a long and hard labor, but a quick delivery. Does that make any sense?

Opinions can be changed like panties. Hopefully more so than not That is having an open mind right?[/b]
It is not opinions changing, though, it is personal experiences. (ie one day saying she loves to slide because it is so fun and there is no danger, and another day saying she hates the slide and has and will never go down it).
[/b]
I can see your point in a way but also experiences can vary, even with the same person. Say the fact that I have 2 DS's....what worked for one might not have worked for another or vice versa but I will gladly offer my views in separate instances. Is that being contradictory?
For example, my older DS I tried to BF but he refused to & I had to bottle feed him. But my younger DS took to the breast right away. So I can offer support and opinions for both BFing and bottlefeeding. But I am not contradicting myself because I have experienced both.

But like I said before, if you are wondering, PM this person and ask them directly.
__________________
Thank you KimberlyD0 for my absolutely beautiful siggy!


  #20  
July 1st, 2006, 06:52 PM
M!che!!e's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC born and raised. Now stationed in Savannah, Ga HAAF!
Posts: 12,264
i doubt its me but in a weird way i want to kno who it is
__________________



Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 PM.