Church Attire

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2006, 08:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
All right, I don't want to come off as old-fashioned, judgmental or stuck up, but what is up with the casual clothing some people are wearing to church these days? I believe that churches are there to serve the public and should be open to all, but is there no reverence at all for the church building and God? I don't think church should be a big fashion show, but this very morning there were people at my church taking communion in ragged cut-off khaki pants and dirty faded Rusty Wallace t-shirts (among other logos and designs). And I'm not talking about teenage boys here, I'm talking about middle-aged men and women. Would it kill them to put on a pair of pants (jeans even) and a clean shirt? And don't suggest these people are too poor to afford good clothes--they are church members with jobs, and you can get good decent clothing for next to nothing at Walmart or Goodwill. Does this bother anyone else, or am I a lone voice crying in the wilderness??

July 2nd, 2006, 09:22 AM
**Cynthia**'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
It bothers me that people would pay more attention to what people are wearing than what the preacher is saying. I go to a nondemoninational church where everyone wears whatever they want and I think that is the way it should be. You are there to worship God, not discuss people's attire.[/b]

I totally agree!!!

July 2nd, 2006, 10:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I thought maybe it WAS just me. I guess it is a lot of trouble to find something clean and not ripped up to wear to church every Sunday.

July 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
kadydid
Errrr didn’t Jesus say
Jhn 7:24
Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Not to say that I have never thought about what people are wearing (we all know I hate the gaucho pant) but I also don’t claim to live by a certain book (IE:the bible) I personally don’t think if there is a god he cares what people are wearing to worship him. But what do I know I am a big heathen who hates gaucho pants…..
July 2nd, 2006, 12:22 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think God cares what you wear as long as it isn't indecent. He cares what is in your heart and if your heart is praising him, it really doesn't matter what is on your earthly body. Our church has gone more casual, even the pastor just usually wears a black t-shirt and pair of slacks (he used to wear a full blown suit). I think it's about making people feel comfortable enough to come thru those doors.

I know my dh-before he was saved-felt extremely uncomfortable if he ever attended a church where everyone was dressed up. He felt uncomfortable to the point that rather than listen to the message, all he could think of was getting out of there and among people "more like him." I think a lot of people feel that way. I'd much rather have people come to church with an open heart and mind and listen to the message rather than wonder if they are dressed appropriately or not.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with personally wanting to dress up and if you feel that in doing so, you are showing your respect to God, then that is wonderful and you should continue to do so. Just remember that there may be new believers around you and if you show your distaste for what they have chosen to wear to God's house, they may not want to return to church again.

July 2nd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The whole problem I have with it is that it seems disrespectful to God. People with any sense don't dress in dirty, torn up clothes to go to court, or to a wedding, or a funeral, or to pick up a date or to interview for a job. Doesn't God deserve at least as much respect and care as people take for those other important things in life? (Actually I think God deserves a lot more respect than that, being the Creator of the universe and everything in it.)

And I personally think that the whole "judge not" argument goes mainly for aspects of a person's appearance that they were born with. Things like clothing that people wear or do to project an image of themself are not necessarily the work of God. We were not all issued clothing at birth that we have to wear our whole lives, unlike our bodies that we do have to live with. Of course you can't judge someone's "salvation" by looking at their appearance, but you can get other information from what someone chooses to project.

Gaucho pants would have been a major improvement today--provided they were actually CLEAN. I'm not talking about people wearing suits and ties--my DH is not a huge fan of dressing up either. Our church is relatively casual, the pastor wears a suit most of the year but since it's summer he wears slacks and a polo shirt with the church logo on it. I'm talking about people wearing clothing that is CLEAN and with a minimum of holes, rips and wear. The clothing I'm talking about would be disgraceful to be seen in doing yard work. That's why I asked were there NO standards at all anymore??

Also, I would NOT be rude to a person dressed this way, nor would I bring it up to other members and ridicule these people--this is merely a topic on a debate board.

July 2nd, 2006, 01:13 PM
brittbratt's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My opinion is no we shouldnt judge others by what they wear to church BUT, I do believe that when you are in the house of the Lord you are in the presence of the Lord and you should dress respectfully. I always think how would I feel comfortably dressed in the Lords presence. and then I remember that we are in his presence we just dont see him. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable in jeans and a tshirt standing in front of God but if someone else does than thats up to them

July 2nd, 2006, 02:00 PM
kadydid
And I personally think that the whole "judge not" argument goes mainly for aspects of a person's appearance that they were born with.

Are you trying to argue that righteous judgment is the same as superficial judgment?
In reality (and biblically) someone’s clothes are unimportant, so it a purely superficial judgment.

I like this guy’s explanation…

http://www.russpickett.com/basic/judging.htm

1. Areas that we should "withhold" judgment on.
a. When it comes to personal convictions or preferences (non-moral issues) on which the Bible has no clear teaching then we should not judge someone who makes those choices. Romans 14:1-23 speaks about not judging another believer because of their eating preferences (vv.1-4), or how they view the significance of special days (vv.5-8). But Paul does make it clear that our opinions or convictions on these matters should not become a stumbling block to other believers, then it would become a moral issue (vv.13-23).
b. We should not judge people just by their outward appearance (John 7:24; James 2:1-4). This is superficial judgment that is often based upon how someone looks or talks, and is not based upon what they are actually doing for the Lord. The problem with this type of judgment is that it usually has it roots in legalism and not Scripture.
c. We should withhold judgment upon another Christian's service (1 Corinthians 4:1-5). The context of this passage is dealing with divisions in the church at Corinth because of factions and false teachers who were all claiming superiority over the others. As a result some were criticizing Paul's ministry because they felt that he wasn't doing what they thought that he should be doing. The problem wasn't Paul's ministry or what he was teaching, but it was the attitude of some in the church. This doesn't mean that we are not to be discerning about a ministry, but that we are not supposed to condemn others because they are not doing what we think they should be doing. We need to keep in mind that some plant and some water, but ultimately it is God who causes the growth (1 Corinthians 3:1-9). An example of this would be when we start thinking that we could preach or write better sermons than the preacher, or we think that we could do a better job than what someone else is doing in another area of ministry. Or that we think that a person isn't doing something in a way that we think it should be done. When you do things like this, you are in a sense looking at individuals more like chess pieces and not people chosen by God to do the best they can with what God has given them.
d. This last area tends to build off of the other areas, and that is letting our tongues express our opinions about others (James 4:11-12). When we criticize others, we are placing ourselves in the position as judge and pronouncing judgment upon them when we may not know or understand all the details of why someone is doing what they are doing. Again, let me remind everyone that these passages are addressing non-moral issues. When it comes to sin, false teaching or ministries, the Bible clearly teaches that we are to be discerning which means we need to make an judgment based upon God's Word.

Quote:
Also, I would NOT be rude to a person dressed this way, nor would I bring it up to other members and ridicule these people--this is merely a topic on a debate board.[/b]
I don't think you (or most anyone would do that) would. Just felt like debating the OP as a whole. I have to go pack now for my 4 th of July.....Have a good week!
July 2nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree that people should dress respectfully in church. Being "clean" shouldn't even be a question in my opinion. Now I will wear capris or jeans, but never a logo t-shirt. But that's just me. And I would never wear shorts...but that seems to be the norm around here these days too.

Bottom line though, is that they're there...in church...giving themselves up to God. I guess we should be happy about that at least.

Now I feel bad, as I didn't make it to church today.

July 2nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't go to church much, and I wasn't raised in a church going household. But I do like to get kinda 'dressed-up' when I do go. Nothing fancy, more like what I would wear for a business-casual day at work.

That's my preferance. It would probably seem 'odd' to me to see "LarryThe Cable Guy" in the pew in front of me, but I don't think it would be particualrly bothersome. I guess what really matters is that they are there

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 2nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I agree that people should dress respectfully in church. Being "clean" shouldn't even be a question in my opinion.[/b]

Quote:
I guess what really matters is that they are there[/b]

My chiropractor runs the street ministry for the homeless.. God cares about a soul not about their earthly apearances. If He did, then all souls who are really poor would be lost ~ not to mention who would then be the fashion police?

July 2nd, 2006, 07:08 PM
Eka09M
I think that the important thing is that they are there, not what they are wearing. IMO, I don't think that could have been any more shallow.
July 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
ryansmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would rather have someone show up at church in raggedy clothing than not come at all - but I also think we should give the Lord our best. It is respectful. I always wear a dress or skirt to church and my dh always wears a shirt, tie, and jacket. I would dress nicely to meet an important person so why would I do less when in the house of the Lord?

<span style="color:#CC0000">Marian Wright Edelman
July 3rd, 2006, 11:20 AM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I go to church mostly in jeans or capris, and a nice clean T-shirt or casual top of some sort. Sometimes I wear flip flops. On Sunday my clothes look a little better because I have had all day Saturday to get ready and all my good clothes are washed by then.

During the week when I go to services/studies I am usually in what ever I have worn out after work. That is usually coming from just walking around the lake or out playing with my children some where. I don’t have the time (or the gas money) to drive all the way home and dress myself and my two kids in better clothes. No matter what day it is though, since I do have two kids that I take care of on my own, it can be expected that I might have some wrinkles here and there, or I might just have a juice stain on my shoulder………

The clothes do not matter. The only thing God (of the bible) expects us to do is be modest and dress our part (not attempting to look like the other sex - I know, opening another can of worms....). The important thing we need to worry about is our heart and our standing with God.

I agree that there are many things in today’s fashion that are not acceptable to wear to church. As long as someone is not dressing for the obvious sex appeal or wearing apparel that mocks or is contrary to the word of God, I really don’t have a problem with how people dress. What ever we wear, it should not take the focus away from God and the message He is trying to give His people.

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
July 3rd, 2006, 11:32 AM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
The whole problem I have with it is that it seems disrespectful to God.[/b]

God finds it much more disrespectful for someone to walk into a church in dress attire, and then walk out and disobey His commandments.

Jesus once let a sinner woman wash his feet with her tears and dry them with her hair. (It was a custom back then to offer water and towels to wash the feet of visitors when they entered your house.) He offered salvation to an adulterous woman at a well. Many who looked the part of someone who followed Jesus, did not have their hearts in the right place. Jesus even told them so. They were looking for condemnation for everyone else, rather than hoping and praying for their souls and asking what they could do personally for Jesus.

He did not come to save all of us in our best clothes. He came to offer hope to those who had nothing, who were lost, and to those who where deceived.

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
July 3rd, 2006, 11:37 AM
Super Mommy
The only time I have ever been to church was with a friends family every now and then. I am not Christian...and when I first saw this thread I was like "Why does it matter what you wear?" But then I read someones thread about how you dress appropriately for weddings and funerals and other occasions and that church should have the same respect. I do agree with that.
July 3rd, 2006, 12:18 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I compl;etely agree & I don't think it is shallow - I think it is about the way you were raised perhaps & the way you internally perceive the situation. My mom raised me that there is a reverance to be held when talking about GHOd & that reverance (in what I was raised) should carry over into your dress. I purposely don't "showboat" at church. My make-up is minimal, my hair is subdued, my clothing is respectful, etc. I don't attend church often anymore as I have been pursuing my own spiritual practices, but I do attend with my extended family at holidays because it is important to my mom & even though I am not a regular member, I try to show respect to the occassion by the way I dress myself. I don't know where other's minds are when they dress for church & overall I guess I really don't care, but I can't understand wearing dirty clothes to enter the house of the Lord if I have clean ones I could have put on. Does that make me judgemental in otehr people's minds? I suppose - but then aren't they judging me? I don't think these people are "bad" people - I am just very confused by teh choice. I would never dress better for an interview, or a wedding, etc than I would for church. With that said - as much as I try desperately to not "notice' what others wear...last year I attened a funeral (a Catholic funeral) for my DH's uncle. A girl (teen/early 20's) showed up in a white tank, and one of those really short sweatshirt material skirts...the ones that are ruffled & so short they have panties sewn in to match..bright pink & a pair of flip flops. Now the uncle was very earthly. I wore a nice black dress...but Dh wore jeans & a flannel shirt (as did pretty much everyone) to honor the uncle that wore that "uniform" every day of his life as a farmer. Dh seldom wears flannels (and Lord knows it was terribly hot that day) but that was sweet in light of the way it honored his uncle's life...a bright pink mini skirt that barely covers your bum with a tank top is not what I would call appropriate for a funeral whether we were in a church or in a funeral home. It isn't keeping in mind why you are there & it certainly isn't helping to keep focus where it needs to be. I can't imagine the girl that wore it really uderstood that entire concept, or she would have found at least something that covered a bit more...and I would far rather she wore something dirty than something that appeared to be beach attire.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 3rd, 2006, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I kind of get what the "non-judgemental" responses are saying with the whole "It's just good they come to church at all, it doesn't matter how they're dressed." But are the only two choices either 1) Come to church dressed like a slob or 2) Don't go at all?? Can't there be more choices--like 3) Come to church dressed respectfully.

I'm glad that people come to church too, but if you actually make the effort to go shouldn't you take a few extra minutes to put on some decent clothes? Does anyone really KNOW that God doesn't care that people make an effort to make themselves presentable? I know that God loves us all and that salvation is free, but does that mean we just sit around soaking up the "love" and that we don't have to make some kind of effort in return to be respectful and reverent?

July 3rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I kind of get what the "non-judgemental" responses are saying with the whole "It's just good they come to church at all, it doesn't matter how they're dressed." But are the only two choices either 1) Come to church dressed like a slob or 2) Don't go at all?? Can't there be more choices--like 3) Come to church dressed respectfully.[/b]
Well on the street ministry, it's their only clothes and they haven't been washed for weeks.. so yes the answer would be then don't go at all as they don't own the rest.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search