Should Assisted Suicide Be Legalized?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Super Mommy
Well now...I'm not sure where I stand on this quite yet...so have at it and I'll get back to you all
July 2nd, 2006, 10:00 PM
chlodoll
I think so. I guess it would be a hard thing to moniter though. How would it work? Would they have special doctors for it? What would be the qualifications?

I personally cant imagine just lying in a bed on life supprts for the rest of my life. I would rather die. Move on. Let my family greieve and move on instead having to grieve everyday I am alive aswell.
July 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
mrobinson
This is hard for me because where do we draw the line? I know lots of depressed people who want to die right now as you read this.. so as they suffer from a mental illness, which is a health issue... do we just let them?

That said, I think lots of people who are in pain and want to die should be allowed to be helped..

This is a tough one for me.
July 2nd, 2006, 10:35 PM
Jinxcat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tough for me, too, but if I were to be sick and I didn't want to live anymore in my sorry state, I would hope someone would put me out of my misery.

</div>
July 3rd, 2006, 07:32 AM
syncere
I think it would depend on the situation for me.. Someone who is severely depressed but is still "here" enough to where they arent on life support then NO.. Half of the US is depressed.. It stinks but, such is life..
The people who are confined to a bed say someone who has been in a severe accident and is concious but is on a vent and is developing bed sores everywhere and are constantly ill due to various infections if they want to just fall asleep and not wake up that I can totally understand and I would give them that right to do so..
July 3rd, 2006, 09:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I would just worry that in some cases it would be the family (or the assistor) deciding, kwim? How do I know when all is said and done, that those were the wishes of the dead? Worries me.

But, I do believe in the living will, and think people should have the choice to suffer...or not. I don't know, I don't think I really even answered. At the very least, I feel like I'm contradicting myself.

July 3rd, 2006, 09:52 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If a person could forsee what would come and know that they would get an illness that has no cure and will just kill their body slowly and their mind would be tortured, I can see it.

What I find interesting, assisted suicide is illegal, hospice care is not. Hospice care consists of more morphine, more morphine, more morphine and then death. Autopsies are almost never done, how many hospice patients do you think died from overdoses?

July 3rd, 2006, 03:02 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To this day, I wonder if my dad OD'd purposefully or if it was the cancer that finally took him.

He fought for 5 years and things just got progressively worse. In the end, he told me he was just tired. Tired of the chemo and the surgeries. Tired of feeling like a guinea pig and a pin cushion (he was recieving experimental treatment from the GOV) . The man was just tired and he wanted it to be over.

I think this is probably not uncommon for terminally ill folks. Just the feeling that they have taken as much as they can physically and mentally take. THey have been reduced to a fragile shell of their once normal and vibrant self. What kind of life is this?

No amount of painkillers can touch the pain when these diseases are that advanced. It truly is a terrible, horrible existance. Even if my father didn't OD, he talked about it once or twice . Being Catholic though, I doubt he would have said outright YES or NO as far as "would he do it?" I certainly thing the option should exist, for someone in a terminal situation. They are in enough pain and have suffered long enough. THey need to have some control over their lives again, even if it is to decide whether or not to end it

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 3rd, 2006, 03:23 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
To this day, I wonder if my dad OD'd purposefully or if it was the cancer that finally took him.

He fought for 5 years and things just got progressively worse. In the end, he told me he was just tired. Tired of the chemo and the surgeries. Tired of feeling like a guinea pig and a pin cushion (he was recieving experimental treatment from the GOV) . The man was just tired and he wanted it to be over.

I think this is probably not uncommon for terminally ill folks. Just the feeling that they have taken as much as they can physically and mentally take. THey have been reduced to a fragile shell of their once normal and vibrant self. What kind of life is this?

No amount of painkillers can touch the pain when these diseases are that advanced. It truly is a terrible, horrible existance. Even if my father didn't OD, he talked about it once or twice . Being Catholic though, I doubt he would have said outright YES or NO as far as "would he do it?" I certainly thing the option should exist, for someone in a terminal situation. They are in enough pain and have suffered long enough. THey need to have some control over their lives again, even if it is to decide whether or not to end it[/b]
Good post. Sorry about your Dad

I agree that in terminally ill cases, it should be allowed.
July 3rd, 2006, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My great-grandma was in congestive heart failure for apx 4 years, among other health problems. She had a heart attack, and ended up staying in hospice. The only thing really was to keep uping the morphine to keep her comfortable - if that was possible. She was ready more or less, to pass away. Morphine, may not be the best thing in the world, but if it weren't for the morphine, she would have kept on fighting and fighting, even though she was ready to pass away. You tell she was in pain, and was otherwise suffering -- in cases like this, and boxerlove's dad [and other simliar things], I can totally understand. But in cases of as somebody else mentioned depression; I don't think thats right.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search