Child Curfews

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Super Mommy
What do you think about child curfews?
What age should they start?
What time should they start for those specific ages?
Do you think it reduces crime?
If a child is caught...what should be the punishment? Should they get a warning, a ride home from the p.officer, a call to the parents to come pick them up from the detention center? A fine?
Should the parents be responsible if the child is out past curfew?
Is this a restriction of freedom of the child?

QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS!!!!

VERY rarely do I ever hear of a minor committing a heinous crime. It's normally something small/petty....so I don't think the "reducing crime" thing is that big a deal. If the minor DOES commit a heinous crime (armed robbery, rape, murder etc..)...well...whether they are a minor or not I think they would end up doing that crime because they obviously have problems...

Eh...I'm leary on saying whether I am for them or against them...I see pros and cons on both sides. I want to hear what you all have to say, maybe I'll sway to one side of the fence, cuz right now...it's poking me in the behind..
July 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
mrobinson
No as they go against civil liberties.. besides, then are they just become crimes against homless.. yes there are children that homeless..
July 2nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
chlodoll
Curfews are useless because they are never enforced.
July 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM
Jinxcat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As a social worker, I have found that often times our wards that get into trouble do so in daylight hours anyway. I never listened to curfews and I came out just fine!

</div>
July 3rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it's the job of the parent to enforce the curfew. I'd rather our police officers be free to catch real criminals than harassing teens who are out past dark.

July 3rd, 2006, 09:49 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are curfews here but I don't see where it cuts down on the crime rate. Police never do anything and if they do enforce it, the teens are just going to go out and get themselves into trouble during the daylight. I know as a parent I will be setting curfews for my kids when they become teens. And that is where I see the fault generally lies in, is the parents. If they cared where their kids were and what they were doing, maybe there wouldn't be so many problems. JMO

July 3rd, 2006, 10:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was a homeless 15 yr old. This wouldnt be very good for me than. I think its stupid personally. Its going to cause more because what happens when you tell someone they cant do something.. they do it out of spite.
July 3rd, 2006, 02:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Where I live, the curfew is enforced and I don't think its a bad idea. On weeknights, its 9pm [unless to/from school work], and 10pm on weekends. They may have changed it to 10pm/11pm. In some areas, where its big teen hang out spots, its been benifical. Also, the driving laws say that you can't drive past 9pm unless its to/from school or work, unless you've had your full license for 6 months.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search