Conception for Underage Girls

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2006, 10:11 PM
Super Mommy
Should Dr.'s be allowed to prescribe contraceptives to underage females (without parents consent)?

I think so. I say with as many teen pregnancies, if the girls are trying to prevent, by all means prevent away. I would rather my daughter be prescribed something and not get pregnant than for her to be too embarrassed to go out and buy condoms or other forms of b/c and get pregnant.
July 2nd, 2006, 10:17 PM
chlodoll
I think FOR SURE!!!!! I would love for my daughter to come tell me she wanted to be on BC but if she isnt going to then i would still like her to have acsess to it.

When I went on BC I didnt tell my Mom at first. I went to the sexual health clinic and its $5 a pack. You have to get an annual pap smear though there or they wont give it to you. Once she knew me and DH (well he wasnt then lol) were having sex I still got it from the clinic because I didnt want to bother finding a gyno.

ETA - You are really on a debate roll tonight lol
July 2nd, 2006, 10:19 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Should Dr.'s be allowed to prescribe contraceptives to underage females (without parents consent)?

I think so. I say with as many teen pregnancies, if the girls are trying to prevent, by all means prevent away. I would rather my daughter be prescribed something and not get pregnant than for her to be too embarrassed to go out and buy condoms or other forms of b/c and get pregnant.[/b]
When I first came to this debate board and was informed people live in places where doctors don't prescribe contraceptives to underage females, I was in disbelief.. I can't believe in a free country this is even a question... Yes is my answer.
July 2nd, 2006, 10:28 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
ETA - You are really on a debate roll tonight lol[/b]
Yea I am getting BOOOOOOOORED!!! Thought I might stir up some controversy tonight to keep me busy for the next cpl of days LOL!!
July 2nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
Jinxcat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

ETA - You are really on a debate roll tonight lol[/b]
Yea I am getting BOOOOOOOORED!!! Thought I might stir up some controversy tonight to keep me busy for the next cpl of days LOL!!
[/b]

Well, we will keep you busy until Kailey decides to make her entrance into this world!

The answer to the question is YES. Prescribe away. Though, I hope my girls come to me!

</div>
July 3rd, 2006, 04:05 AM
lilbluedolphin's Avatar Super Mommy
<blockquote>I say yes with out a doubt. I know so many girls that would be afraid to go to their parents and ask for them to help them get on birth control.

Not only that but I think that they should be able to get them at school as well as at heatlh clinics here is why I believe that:

I have heard it takes control away from the parents and yes I do understand that there are still parents that want to be involved and aren't to busy with boyfriends and jobs etc to take the time to care about their kids.

But what about the kids whose parents don't have the time to know what is going on.

Example A: One of the girls that I went to high school with. I graduated in 2001 not really that long ago, got pregnant our junior year. Her parents where never home and where to busy with their jobs and social lives to take the time out of playing golf to teach her or educate her about sex. Now we live in a state that allows you to have an abortion without parent consent. That is what she did. Never told her parents about it and as far as I know they still don't know nor have they cared to asked her what made her so sick that she missed school.

Or the kids whose parents don't believe in birth control use or sex ed in schools

Example B: Another one of my friends was like me we went to church, knew right from wrong and had been told that we should wait till marriage to have sex. She ended up deciding to have sex with her boyfriend, a boy that went to youth group with us. She wanted to go on birth control but as she said to me "My parents will never allow it. My Doctor tried to put me on it due to my bad periods, but my mom believed that if I was on birth control I would be more likely to have sex." In all likely hood that isn't true but wouldn't you rather have your daughter on some form of birth control then end up being faced with pregnancy at 14, 15 or 16?? Oh and what happened to my friend she ended up getting pregnant that's what happens when the only method of birth control you are able to use (the condom) breaks. She could have used Plan B. Now she is a single mom, who got kicked out of her home raising her son on her own.

NOW LISTEN TO WHAT THE RESEARCH SAYS ABOUT PLAN B

Combined ECPs reduce the risk of pregnancy by 75 percent if started within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. For example, eight out of 100 women will become pregnant after having unprotected sex once during the second or third week of their cycles. But only two out of 100 will become pregnant after taking ECPs.

Progestin-only ECPs reduce the risk of pregnancy by 89 percent if started within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. Only one woman out of 100 will become pregnant after taking progestin-only ECPs.

Emergency IUD insertion reduces the risk of pregnancy by 99.9 percent. Only one out of 1,000 women will become pregnant after emergency IUD insertion.

Emergency contraception is meant for emergencies only. ECPs are not as effective as the correct and consistent use of reversible contraception the IUD, the shot, the pill, the patch, or the ring.

ECPs do not continue to prevent pregnancy during the rest of the cycle. Other methods of birth control must be used.

Emergency contraception offers no protection against sexually transmitted infections. You may want to consider testing for sexually transmitted infections if there is a possibility that unprotected sex put you at risk.

THIS IS WHAT THE RESEARCH SAYS ABOUT CONDOMS.

Of 100 women whose partners use condoms, about 15 will become pregnant during the first year of typical use.* Only two women will become pregnant with perfect use.** More protection against pregnancy is possible if condoms are used with a spermicide foam, cream, jelly, suppository, or film.

*Typical use refers to failure rates when use is not consistent or always correct.
**Perfect use refers to failure rates for those whose use is consistent and always correct.

Using the spermicide nonoxynol-9 many times a day, by people at risk for HIV, or for anal sex, may irritate tissue and increase the risk of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.

They also protect both partners during vaginal and anal sex from sexually transmitted infection. Latex condoms offer very good protection against HIV.

Here is what the planned parenthood website says about parental consent.

Of all the abortion-related policy issues facing decision-makers in this country today, parental consent or notification before a minor may obtain an abortion is one of the most difficult. Few would deny that most teenagers, especially younger ones, would benefit from adult guidance when faced with an unwanted pregnancy. Few would deny that such guidance ideally should come from the teenager's parents. Unfortunately, we do not live in an ideal world. For a variety of reasons, including fear of parental maltreatment or abuse, teenagers frequently cannot tell their parents about their pregnancies or planned abortions.

Proponents of mandated parental involvement contend that parents have a right to decide what medical services their minor children receive. However, states have long recognized that many minors have the capacity to consent to their own medical care and that, in certain critical areas such as mental health, drug and/or alcohol addiction, treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and pregnancy, entitlement to confidential care is a public health necessity (Donovan, 1998).

Twenty-one states and the District of Columbia grant all minors the authority to consent to contraceptive services. Approximately eleven other states grant most minors this authority (AGI, 2004a).

Thirty-four states and the District of Columbia authorize a pregnant minor to obtain prenatal care and delivery services without parental consent or notification (AGI, 2004b).

All 50 states and the District of Columbia give minors the authority to consent to the diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (AGI, 2004c).

DID YOU KNOW THAT IN MOST STATES A MINOR IS CONSIDERED EMANCIPATED WHILE SHE IS PREGNANT AND SHE HAS FINAL SAY ABOUT ANY DECISION REGARDING HER OR HER UNBORN BABY

I think that we have enough to worry about and argue about without arguing about this. Most teens I have talked to in the teen program I work at now that Plan B shouldn't be used as a birth control method but most of them like know it is there for them in case they need to use it.

I say anything that prevents an unwanted pregnancy and thus an abortion we need to offer to kids. Shoot, Id even donate my money to the cause. We have enough teenage mommies out there trust me I work with some every day.

I am a firm believer in sex education in schools, handing out condoms, Pregnancy tests and even Plan B and or birth control. I think that the schools should keep track of who they give it to and if the same girl is asking for it all the time then she need to be told that birth control would be a better option.

In my state you can get plan B and birth control as well as a pregnancy test from any woman's clinic or Planned Parenthood. So why not schools as well at least we have kids that are willing to try and be careful and yes to answer your question I will be one of those parents who will buy my kids condoms, and birth control or what ever they need so that if the time ever comes I know and they know that they are having SAFE SEX.

Because lets face it, unless you can watch your kids 24/7 do you really know what they are up to or what they are doing?? As parents it is our job to protect our kids, we protect them from harm by making them wear helmets and seat belts, we protect them from disease by immunizing them. Why not protect them from unplanned pregnancy and STD's as well.

</blockquote>
<div align="center"><div align="center"></div><div align="center">~~Thank you Samuelsmommy for my adorable siggy~~</div><div align="center">~~Thank you Ragmama for my new blinkies~~</div></span></span></span></span><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
July 3rd, 2006, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that they should give underage girls access to the b/c without having to tell their parents. I was very fortunate to have a mom that basically told me "when you start having sex please tell me so you can get on b/c." The reason why my mom told me that was not because she was promoting me having sex by any means, but because one of her best friend's daughters had become pregnant at 16 and my mom was scared that would happen to me. So I hope that when my daughter is of that becoming age that we too have that type of relationship, but if for some reason she's scared to ask me or something I would feel much better knowing that she can get it without my consent. I think that a lot of people who are against b/c to minors is because they think it's promoting sex behind their parents' backs. The way I see it, they are going to have sex anyways, why not help them prevent pregnancy?
Amanda
July 3rd, 2006, 07:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
of course! if that happened mroe often that my 13yr old wont come home pregnant (from another debate hehe) I think its a great idea. I lived with my sister when I was 13. She made me go on B/C at 14 because my friend was having sex. It didnt promote me to have sex by any means.
July 3rd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Ashes78
Quote:
I think FOR SURE!!!!! I would love for my daughter to come tell me she wanted to be on BC but if she isnt going to then i would still like her to have acsess to it.[/b]
I agree.
July 3rd, 2006, 09:41 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My answer is YES! I wish I had someone to talk about B/C to when I was a teen. I was being raised by my dad & my mom lived in Florida.
I will tell my daughter though that she has options and if she decides she wants to have sex, I will take her for some because I would rather do that than feel like she has no options. But if she doesn't feel like she can come and talk to me, then I am hoping she has someone or somewhere she can go for B/C.

July 3rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Super Mommy
I just wanted to add, that we can be the best parents, but our child still may make the decision to have sex at a young age. I was one of them. I lost my virginity at 15. My mother was ALWAYS open to me about b/c and sex and my period and yadda ya...all that. But it was ME who was simply to embarrassed to let my mother know I was sexually active. The only reason I got on b/c was because my sister was on it for acne, and so I said the same thing to my mom...I wanted on it because of acne. (Boy did it help!! lol)
July 3rd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I was very fortunate to have a mom that basically told me "when you start having sex please tell me so you can get on b/c."[/b]
Thats what my dad told me. And thats what I plan on telling my daughter.

I think in the US once you hit 16, parents still have a small say in stuff like this. And drs have more of an opening to perscribe BCPs, etc. i think its a good idea for teens to be able to have access to BCP, with or without parents knowledge. I'd rather that then see, teens struggling b/c parents kicked them out, or whatnot.
July 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think that it is a good idea to a point. I mean I would rather teenagers get birthcontrol if they want to have sex, than get pregnant. I just hope that my kids will be open enough to talk to me about it first. I will definitely be more open with my kids when it comes to their bodies and sex, than my parents were with me. They never even mentioned the word sex until my aunt got pregnant before marriage, then my dad just had the whole sex makes babies talk with me. Not too informative on how to not get pregnant if you have sex though. When I was in high school I know a few girls who went and got on the pill at one of those clinics, and I thought that it was fine, cuz they were having sex.

July 4th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

I think so. I say with as many teen pregnancies, if the girls are trying to prevent, by all means prevent away. I would rather my daughter be prescribed something and not get pregnant than for her to be too embarrassed to go out and buy condoms or other forms of b/c and get pregnant.[/b]
When I first came to this debate board and was informed people don't live in places where doctors don't prescribe contraceptives to underage females, I was in disbelief.. I can't believe in a free country this is even a question... Yes is my answer.
[/b]

Really? I didn't know that either!!!

Anyway my answer is a big YES.
July 4th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll go out on a limb and be the first to say no.
There are several reasons for this. First being, I want to parent my child, I don't want others to do it for me.
Secondly, BCP aren't just a low risk drug, they are hormones and can interfere with any other medication she may have to take or mess with her body. I have endometriosis and an intake of estrogen can make it worse. If my future daughter gets endo too than birth control would not be a good idea.
I wouldn't want my kids to be able to be prescribed any medication they would take on a daily basis without my consent.
Not only that but bc and condoms and all that are not safe. People still get pregnant, still contract std's, still go through the emotional and spiritual bonds they form with someone when they have sex.
I will raise my kids to have a higher standard than the norm and to be strong in the face of temptation. Some of you I know will scoff at that but I know it works.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

July 4th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think girls should have access to b/c without consent of their parent. I would however hope that whoever was handing them out, made sure to take medical histories and do pap smears. I agree that I hope my daughter would come to me, but I do want her to have access.

Quote:
I will raise my kids to have a higher standard than the norm and to be strong in the face of temptation. Some of you I know will scoff at that but I know it works.[/b]
Thats all well and good, but I disagree to a point. I do think that the way a child is raised has a lot to do with their choices, but its not 100%. For example, my sister and I had the same parents, the same rules, and were raised in the same circumstances. I chose not to have premarital sex and she chose to start having sex at 15. All kids are different. And just out of curiosity, if this i your first child, than how do you "know what works"(not being sarcastic at all, just sincerly curious).

July 4th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Quote:
I think girls should have access to b/c without consent of their parent. I would however hope that whoever was handing them out, made sure to take medical histories and do pap smears. I agree that I hope my daughter would come to me, but I do want her to have access.

Quote:

I will raise my kids to have a higher standard than the norm and to be strong in the face of temptation. Some of you I know will scoff at that but I know it works.[/b]
Thats all well and good, but I disagree to a point. I do think that the way a child is raised has a lot to do with their choices, but its not 100%. For example, my sister and I had the same parents, the same rules, and were raised in the same circumstances. I chose not to have premarital sex and she chose to start having sex at 15. All kids are different. And just out of curiosity, if this i your first child, than how do you "know what works"(not being sarcastic at all, just sincerly curious).
[/b]
I don't mind you asking at all. Of course not everything in this world is guarenteed, parenting is no exception. But I will glean what wisdom I can from my parents, my aunts and uncles, my friends and their parents and so forth because nearly everyone I have known has waited until marriage. I agree that part of it is a child's individual personality so I will modify my parenting styles based on my different kids but I will also get as much help as I can from those that have already gone through it successfully. Plus I waited as did my dh so we have our own experiences to share as well.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

July 4th, 2006, 02:55 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Plus I waited as did my dh so we have our own experiences to share as well.[/b]
eeewwww~ Who wants to hear that from their parents? J/K
July 4th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
LOL! Well I won't be sharing THOSE kind of experiences.....LOL!

Clara's here! 5/13/11

Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

July 4th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
LOL! Well I won't be sharing THOSE kind of experiences.....LOL!
[/b]
Hahaha!

And I agree that parenting has a lot to do with stuff, BUT, what if on the off chance, that your daughter did decide to have sex and she didnt tell you for fear of disappointing you, wouldnt you rather she was on b/c?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search