Should School Students Face Mandatory Drug Tests?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2006, 10:23 PM
Super Mommy
Again I'm on the fence with this one.
Their intentions are good. It could help keep kids off drugs. But is it the schools place? They ARE there to only teach...

So...what is the punishment if a child tests +. Should the school be allowed to punish? Or should they only inform the parents? Should they inform the law?

I don't think the school should be allowed to punish.
Parents should be informed.
Not sure about the law....

What do you all think?
July 2nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
chlodoll
I have never heard of a school doing drug tests.

I dont think a school should have that right at all. They are there to educate my child. I am here to raise them.
July 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
mrobinson
Out of all the things a school does, drug testing shouldn't be one of them.. again, it goes against all civil liberities.. Besides if schools really were serious about drug prevention, they would educate their kids more about it.
July 2nd, 2006, 10:30 PM
Jinxcat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

I dont think a school should have that right at all. They are there to educate my child. I am here to raise them.[/b]

Ditto that. Plus who knows how much more in taxes we would have to pay in order to get this in place. Forget it. Like Chloe said, I will make sure I keep my kids off drugs. That is my job.

</div>
July 2nd, 2006, 10:33 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:

I dont think a school should have that right at all. They are there to educate my child. I am here to raise them.[/b]

Oooooh I like that...
July 3rd, 2006, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I'm going to play a mild devil's advocate on this one. Okay, I don't agree that all students in general should be subject to drug tests. However, when I was in school and if you played sports you had to sign a paper saying that you wouldn't do drugs, drink, or use tobacco products during the active or pre-season. So I think that those people should be subject to drug tests since they signed a paper saying they wouldn't use those and were aware of the drug testing. And if did fail your drug test they couldn't call the law on you, which I think would be an infringement on a person's rights. So I guess where I stand is if you are in a group/organization and you sign a paper saying you won't do drugs and are aware of drug testing it's okay, but otherwise I say no.
Amanda
July 3rd, 2006, 08:36 AM
Ashes78
Quote:

I agree.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search