Should parents be held morally and legally responsible?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2006, 11:56 AM
Super Mommy
If a minor commits a crime should the parents be held accountable? Is it the parents fault? Does it depend on the crime? Does it depend on the age?

I think that it does depend on the crime and age. Say an 8 year old was playing with their parents' gun and they accidentally shot another kid/sibling. Or they did it on purpose. I would hold the parents responsible. There should be NO REASON that the child would be able to get ahold of that gun. If the gun was put up properly, then the incident would never happen.

What about 2 teenage boys rape a girl? I blame the teenage boys.

Hard to say in different situations... I believe we are all born with the knowledge of right and wrong. When I was young, I would do something that my parents had never told me about or talked about, yet while I was doing it...I knew it was wrong kwim? So... hrm...

I think for the majority, the parents should NOT be held responsible. But there are a few exceptions. Examples? Well I stated one about the gun and child....there are many more examples, but of course I would not be able to list them. I would definetly be able to point them out if I saw them though.

So how about if you think of an example, post it and we'll say yay or nay on that particular crime.

HAVE FUN!
July 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think if the crime was commited because of neglect on the parents part then the parent should be responsible (ie a little 5 year running around a store breaking things, type stuff).
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 3rd, 2006, 12:40 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
I think if the crime was commited because of neglect on the parents part then the parent should be responsible (ie a little 5 year running around a store breaking things, type stuff).[/b]
In that situation, I agree it's the parents fault.
July 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
Ashes78
I agree with the above posts. In certain situations it is the parents' fault. In other situations, the child should be held responsible. It all depends on the age, crime, etc.
July 3rd, 2006, 01:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it depends on the situation as well. If the crime, is due to neglece of the parents/responsible person then they should be the ones charged. I think a few years ago, there was a case where a boy found the parents gun and was playing with it, innocently and ended up shotting a sibling or friend I forget. But the mother was napping, when this happened. The gun should always remain locked and out of reach!
July 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I agree with the above posts. In certain situations it is the parents' fault. In other situations, the child should be held responsible. It all depends on the age, crime, etc.[/b]

I agree it depends on the circumstances. Also, whether or not the parents are present or due to their negligence.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search