Protesting abortion clinics & funerals

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Protesting abortion clinics & funerals are they the same?
Yes 11 47.83%
No 8 34.78%
Not even close because... 4 17.39%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2006, 05:08 PM
mrobinson
I read about people who stand outside an abortion clinics and spit at the people going in... Then I read about a group protesting outside dead soldiers funerals because "this country allows gays" (or whatever riduclous cause they have) and both make me feel the same.. They may think they are better than the people going into a clinic or better than the soldier who died for their country but I think the protestors are lower than pond scum and lower than most of the criminals locked up. Your thoughts?
July 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really don't think there is anything wrong with peacefully protesting in front of abortion clinics. I happen to think that abortion is murder at any point in the pregnancy and really don't think women should be murdering their unborn children (please don't jump on me on this thread--I am simply stating my opinion so that others know exactly where I stand.) I think that picketing in front of clinics is all right, as is handing out informative literature--the key word here being INFORMATIVE, not gratuitously graphic, horrifying or disgusting. But I think that the "protestors" should not be degrading or in any way get physical with the people entering the clinic, or with the employees. I think that non-violent protest is the most effective means of getting a message across (look at the Civil Rights movement.) Some pro-life groups have not figured this out and do really stupid and inconsiderate things.

Now funerals are another matter. People at funerals have no choice at all that someone they loved died (unlike a woman seeking an abortion, who at least has a few options), and to be affronted at a funeral about an issue completely irrelevant to the person who is being remembered at the funeral is really really low class. I guess some people might be stupid enough to think that God would allow our soldiers to be killed for somebody else's "sins," but those people are INSANE. They should be rounded up by the police and taken to the nearest mental hospital for deprograming and intensive psychotherapy.

July 3rd, 2006, 05:37 PM
Ashes78
Yes, it is the same. Do you understand what women who have abortions go through? It is a very emotionally painful experience.
July 3rd, 2006, 05:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to agree with calicocat on the peaceful protesting thing (key word here is PEACEFUL, no shouting, no harrasing, no physical contact, no pictures of aborted fetuses displayed for the world to see) simply because I know how misinformed many women are when they have an abortion. The clinic certainly doesn't tell you everything you need to know...Had someone given me literature that explained exactly what a 9 week old fetus is (that its not a shapeless lump of cells, but a tiny baby with a beating heart ) I probobly would have never gone through with having an abortion.

Protesting at funerals, peaceful or not, is inexcusable, bottom line.
July 3rd, 2006, 05:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
There are other CHOICES available. As for me, I've lost 4 pregnancies in the past 12 months that I DID want, so I really have very little sympathy for someone who chooses to end a healthy pregnancy just because they can.

July 3rd, 2006, 06:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
There are other CHOICES available. As for me, I've lost 4 pregnancies in the past 12 months that I DID want, so I really have very little sympathy for someone who chooses to end a healthy pregnancy just because they can.[/b]
How do you know they are ending a healthy pregnancy?
[/b]
Most abortions done for medical necessity/fetal anomilies, or D&C's for miscarriages are not done at Planned Parenthood/abortion clinics specifically for this reason.
July 3rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I'm pro-choice all though I would never personally get an abortion and no I don't think less of those who do. It is their personal decision. Now people standing outside of a clinic handing out informative literature I agree with. But spitting and harrassing someone who is making a life altering decision I think is unacceptable. I guess it would depend on the circumstances of the protesting to say whether or not they are the same as picketing at funerals.
Amanda
July 3rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Reasons for abortions--from Wikipedia
According to the Guttmacher Institute, there were 1.31 million abortions in the US in 2000, and cases of rape or incest accounted for 1.0% of abortions in 2000. [citation needed] Another study revealed that women reported the following reasons for choosing an abortion: [2]

25.5% Want to postpone childbearing
21.3% Cannot afford a baby
14.1% Has relationship problem or partner does not want pregnancy
12.2% Too young; parent(s) or other(s) object to pregnancy
10.8% Having a child will disrupt education or job
7.9% Want no (more) children
3.3% Risk to fetal health
2.8% Risk to maternal health
2.1% Rape, Incest, Other

July 3rd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Ashes78
Quote:
There are other CHOICES available. As for me, I've lost 4 pregnancies in the past 12 months that I DID want, so I really have very little sympathy for someone who chooses to end a healthy pregnancy just because they can.[/b]
Have you ever had an abortion? Or known anyone who has? They don't do it simply because they can. It is a major decision that they have to live with for the rest of their lives.
July 3rd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am sure that an abortion is traumatic, but at least there are CHOICES--women aren't hogtied and dragged into the abortion clinic against their will. It is their CHOICE to go there. They go there because of their own actions and I'm sure it's not fun. But it's even less fun to have your baby that you wanted die inside you for no good reason.

And if it's so traumatic and people who have them regret it, isn't that even more of a reason NOT to do it and to let others know that it's traumatic and they might regret it too?

July 3rd, 2006, 06:43 PM
Ashes78
Quote:
I am sure that an abortion is traumatic, but at least there are CHOICES--women aren't hogtied and dragged into the abortion clinic against their will. It is their CHOICE to go there. They go there because of their own actions and I'm sure it's not fun. But it's even less fun to have your baby that you wanted die inside you for no good reason.[/b]
Actually, some basically are. Some are teens, forced by their parents. Some are in abusive relationships, forced by their SO. There are all kinds of situations when it comes to abortion. What about those where something is wrong with the mother or baby? What about rape situations?
July 3rd, 2006, 06:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
I am sure that an abortion is traumatic, but at least there are CHOICES--women aren't hogtied and dragged into the abortion clinic against their will. It is their CHOICE to go there. They go there because of their own actions and I'm sure it's not fun. But it's even less fun to have your baby that you wanted die inside you for no good reason.[/b]
Actually, some basically are. Some are teens, forced by their parents. Some are in abusive relationships, forced by their SO. There are all kinds of situations when it comes to abortion. What about those where something is wrong with the mother or baby? What about rape situations?
[/b]
Why is she being attacked for her views? She is entitled to them whether you agree or not, thats not what the debate is about really...but since we're on the topic I HAVE had an abortion, it was a horrible, terrible thing. In my case, I WAS in an abusive relationship, but I still regret making the choice every day of my life. As I mentioned before abortions that are medically necessary are generally not done at abortion clinics. Rape is a terrible thing but it accounts for less than 1% of abortions. I see nothing wrong with dispensing accurate information in a respectable, non-confrontational way. It's a womans right to choose and also her right to know what exactly will be done to her body and her unborn child.
July 3rd, 2006, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This is the exact reason I have stayed away from the abortion debate board. The argument about the few medically or otherwise necessary abortions, or those "forced" on women (who unless they are in a coma can still say no even if pressured) always ends up overshadowing the vast majority that are done for convenience.

July 3rd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Ashes78
Quote:
Why is she being attacked for her views? She is entitled to them whether you agree or not, thats not what the debate is about really...but since we're on the topic I HAVE had an abortion, it was a horrible, terrible thing. In my case, I WAS in an abusive relationship, but I still regret making the choice every day of my life. As I mentioned before abortions that are medically necessary are generally not done at abortion clinics. Rape is a terrible thing but it accounts for less than 1% of abortions. I see nothing wrong with dispensing accurate information in a respectable, non-confrontational way. It's a womans right to choose and also her right to know what exactly will be done to her body and her unborn child.[/b]
How is she being attacked? I am debating my side of the arguement. I have not insulted her, called her a name or bought anything personal into it. I didn't say she wasn't entitled to her view. This is a debate, she stated her views and I am stating mine.

The debate is about "protesting", not about dispensing accurate information in a respectable, non-confrontational way.
July 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Why is she being attacked for her views? She is entitled to them whether you agree or not, thats not what the debate is about really...but since we're on the topic I HAVE had an abortion, it was a horrible, terrible thing. In my case, I WAS in an abusive relationship, but I still regret making the choice every day of my life. As I mentioned before abortions that are medically necessary are generally not done at abortion clinics. Rape is a terrible thing but it accounts for less than 1% of abortions. I see nothing wrong with dispensing accurate information in a respectable, non-confrontational way. It's a womans right to choose and also her right to know what exactly will be done to her body and her unborn child.[/b]
How is she being attacked? I am debating my side of the arguement. I have not insulted her, called her a name or bought anything personal into it. I didn't say she wasn't entitled to her view. This is a debate, she stated her views and I am stating mine.

The debate is about "protesting", not about dispensing accurate information in a respectable, non-confrontational way.
[/b]
Maybe attacked is the wrong word, I just mean that it seems you are making an issue out of her views on abortion when that's not what the debate is about
And, as has been mentioned, protesting can be done in a respectable, non-confrontational way,
July 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
lilbluedolphin's Avatar Super Mommy
<blockquote>
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, some basically are. Some are teens, forced by their parents. Some are in abusive relationships, forced by their SO. There are all kinds of situations when it comes to abortion. What about those where something is wrong with the mother or baby? What about rape situations? [/b]
One of my closest friends in HS, had to get an abortion b/c her father a deacon at their chuch said that he would not allow her to ruin her familys reputation by being another (and these are his own words) pregnant teenage, Sl*t that couldn't and wasnt smart enough to keep her legs closed. Now you may argue and say that she still had a choice and could have choosen to fight to keep her baby, but most girls at 14 are easily manipulated especially by their parents. Also most teenage girls if told either you get an abortion or you will be kicked out of this house. Do not have the resouces, or dont know where to look to find help and support so that they can either continue their pregnancy and put the baby up for adoption or keep and raise the baby.

I HATE abortion. I wish we didnt as a socity need to have countless abortion clinics and girls that feel so trapped that they dont know what do to. Even in todays world some people still look down on unmarried pregnant girls. I am almost 24 and about to become a single mom and I can tell you I understant what kind of emotions go through your head when you find yourself face to face with an unplanned pregnancy.

I volunteer at a pregancy resouce center. They are awsome in what they do, they offer free pregnancy tests, free ultrasound during the first trimester, It is a proven fact that if girls who are considering abortion see an ultrasound and their babies heartbeat that they are less likely to end up having that abortion. Not only do they do all that, but they give out tons of information on resources in the community and offer free maturnity clothes, free baby clothes and some bigger items depending on their donations. Such as cribs, bassinets and swings to name a few.

I think that instead of spending all their time protesting in front of abortion clincs that some of these people should help reach the girls that are still on the fence. How many girls are they stopping from having abortions? Probally alot less then they are just hurting and scaring more then they were before they arrived at the abortion clinic. Why not instead focus their efforts on helping the girls out there realize that there are other options.

As for the funerals, I think it is horrible that people would do that to an already grief stricken family. As someone from a very military family, I dont know what I would do to someone who dared intrupt my families last time to say good bye to a loved one. Have some people no respect.

I think in both cases you are seeing the extreme points of views and belives of people who have let whatever you want to call it crowd their judgement to the point that they cant see the harm they are doing. In both cases what really bothers me is the fact that children are getting exposed to graphic launguage at a loved ones funeral and graphic pictures that no one should have to see, when they are just in the car or on the bus going by an abortion clinic.

In both cases there has got to be a better solution to the problem

</blockquote>
<div align="center"><div align="center"></div><div align="center">~~Thank you Samuelsmommy for my adorable siggy~~</div><div align="center">~~Thank you Ragmama for my new blinkies~~</div></span></span></span></span><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div><div align="center"></div>
July 4th, 2006, 12:49 AM
Super Mommy
The person who died and is having the funeral is dead. They died from whatever cause. The abortion clinic is a clinic where women go in and end the life knowingly. For me, it's not the same at all.
July 4th, 2006, 04:33 AM
syncere
It is not the same to me either.. Funerals are just one thing that people should have the decency to leave the grieving people alone.. Its a time for the family to remember the life of their loved ones... Some people just lack the class sadly though...
Quote:
Quote:
[/b]
A parent can not force a teen into abortion legally... If a young teen is pregnant and her family tells her they will kick her out if she wont have an abortion.. She has a mind she can think for herself.. She still has that choice to carry that baby.. There is always some place you can go.. Whether it be with family or friends or a shelter.. Now dont get me wrong I think there are circumstances in which abortion are alright.. Like fetal abnormalities or rape.. Beyond that.. Im not to keen on the idea IMO.. If you are in a abusive relationship again there is always some place you can go.. If you just dont want the baby after being through all that there is always adoption.. Im not saying that in some abusive relationships it isnt severe enough to warrant an abortion but, not all.. Regardless of age you always have that choice.. No one can FORCE you to do anything.. At the end of the day it is always YOUR choice..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search