Log In Sign Up

The Lurker Thread


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
July 4th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Revamp's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Troy
Posts: 542
It is no secret that there are a good deal more people who view this forum than actually post upon it.

This has always made me rather curious as to who they are, why they are reading and whether they are actually in a situation that means it could matter to them one way or the other which side of the debate is correct.

So please, any who have not posted thus far do us the honour of emerging and letting us know a little about yourself, your situation and your thoughts on this issue. We don't bite!
__________________
When the cat befriended the mouse, there wasn't a dry eye in the house!

http://www.observer.org.sz/main.asp?id=182...mp;Section=main
Reply With Quote
  #2  
July 6th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Revamp's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Troy
Posts: 542
Come on!

Seventeen views and not a single reply?

Well I suppose it would be something of an oxymoron for a lurker to post as that would spoil the lurk. But just humour me through this paradox, I am getting yet more curious now.
__________________
When the cat befriended the mouse, there wasn't a dry eye in the house!

http://www.observer.org.sz/main.asp?id=182...mp;Section=main
Reply With Quote
  #3  
July 7th, 2006, 02:37 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perpetually NAK
Posts: 3,408
I'll go first. I have been lurking here since I first joined JM. I usually think of lots of things to say while I am reading through the posts, but either I don't have the time (on mostly at work) or someone has already beat me to saying what I had in mind. Also, there are several people on here that get the point across pretty darn good without my help.

So anyway, about me. I am (almost) 20 weeks pregnant with my first son and happy to report that I have every reason to believe he will be born perfect and in need of NO alterations. DF is un-circumcised, and while in the beginning he fought with me a little, he has now turned around. He was under the impression that circumcision was just the "normal" thing to do now days. He said he had some problems with past girlfriends and such. Ignorance. After doing some research he is thankful his parents made the decision to leave him intact, and VERY thankful that I will be the mother of his son and that I feel the way I do.

I try not to push ANY of my views upon others. I'm more likely to tell someone to just go read something, decide for themselves, and leave me be. I'm not a very good debater in that regard. It does disturb me that people have their sons 'cut' for cosmetic or naive reasons though. I ramble...
__________________
www.loviebug.com



<div align="center"></div>
Reply With Quote
  #4  
July 10th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Revamp's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Troy
Posts: 542
Wow, even if that is the only response I get to my request then this thread will have been worth it.

Thank you so much for sharing and sparing your son, I am glad that we were of some help.
__________________
When the cat befriended the mouse, there wasn't a dry eye in the house!

http://www.observer.org.sz/main.asp?id=182...mp;Section=main
Reply With Quote
  #5  
July 10th, 2006, 12:09 PM
pudrow2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,161
I am a lurker and just thought I would share...

I actually had not ever given any thought to circumcism until recently when I found out I am pregnant and starting doing tons of reading on every related to having a child. I live in America and I've never knew this was such a hot topic. From what I knew about circ "its just done here to everyone and no one questions it". The more I read about it the more I feel conflicted with what was always presented to me as the norm. I broached the subject a few days ago with my husband and he is adamant about having his son (if we have one) circ'd (he is jewish, circ'd, and as I stated it's very much the norm here). I have never been with an intact man so I can't say whether I prefer it one way or the other but personally I think that's irrelevant here. It shouldn't matter what I prefer. It should matter what my child prefers... and since he can't tell me what he prefers until he is a bit older I am inclined to think I'd like to leave him "intact" and let him decide for himself someday if he wishes to remain that way. Maybe its my hormones but after reading much of these debates I am horrified to think that we will circ him and in 20 years when circ'ing isn't the norm anymore he will resent me for it. I am worried about how I am going to convey this to my husband....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
July 10th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: the baby-cutting country
Posts: 136
Quote:
I live in America and I've never knew this was such a hot topic. From what I knew about circ "its just done here to everyone and no one questions it". The more I read about it the more I feel conflicted with what was always presented to me as the norm.[/b]
Circ rates in America are down to 55% or so; lower on the west coast, so its not really "the norm" here so much anymore. Unfortunately, it was "the norm" back when your husband was born, but a lot has changed since then.

I'm not an expert in the Jewish religion, but some Jewish families are opting for a "Bris Shalom" ceremony in place of the traditional cutting Bris. Visit Jews Against Circumcision for more information.

In our community in the American Midwest, we are aware of many families who left their children intact, much to the dismay of their doctors...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
July 10th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 558
Quote:
I am a lurker and just thought I would share...

I actually had not ever given any thought to circumcism until recently when I found out I am pregnant and starting doing tons of reading on every related to having a child. I live in America and I've never knew this was such a hot topic. From what I knew about circ "its just done here to everyone and no one questions it". The more I read about it the more I feel conflicted with what was always presented to me as the norm. I broached the subject a few days ago with my husband and he is adamant about having his son (if we have one) circ'd (he is jewish, circ'd, and as I stated it's very much the norm here). I have never been with an intact man so I can't say whether I prefer it one way or the other but personally I think that's irrelevant here. It shouldn't matter what I prefer. It should matter what my child prefers... and since he can't tell me what he prefers until he is a bit older I am inclined to think I'd like to leave him "intact" and let him decide for himself someday if he wishes to remain that way. Maybe its my hormones but after reading much of these debates I am horrified to think that we will circ him and in 20 years when circ'ing isn't the norm anymore he will resent me for it. I am worried about how I am going to convey this to my husband....[/b]
Thank you for posting, pudrow2!

I'm sorry that you have to worry about this, and I understand your concerns. Here is web site that might provide some help for you:
http://www.jewsagainstcircumcision.org/

Congratulations on your pregnancy, and best wishes to you for a healthy baby!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
July 11th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Revamp's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Troy
Posts: 542
Best of luck to you Pudrow!

You clearly care about what impact this decision will have upon your child himself later on in his life and if you bear that in mind I am certain you will make the right decision.

Thank you for posting.
__________________
When the cat befriended the mouse, there wasn't a dry eye in the house!

http://www.observer.org.sz/main.asp?id=182...mp;Section=main
Reply With Quote
  #9  
July 11th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 644
I don't post a whole lot mainly because I find the general tone of the posts to be negative and borderline abusive. I know it's a debate forum but some things I've read are just mean and hurtful.

I did have my son circumcised. And yes, I regret my decision. I would not have any future children circed. However, there is nothing I can do to take back this decision. And to be honest, I feel no need to have other women judge me and tell me how wrong, irresponsible & unloving I was to have done so.
I try and share my our experience with new or to-be mommies in a not so hostile environment in hopes that they will make a much more informed decision than I did.
I wonder in & out occasionally and if I come across a well put point I chalk it up to good information I can pass on to someone else in a non hostile manner.
My intentions are not to offend anyone as I 100% understand that this is a very passionate topic and rightfully so. But I think it's a very IMPORTANT topic to talk about and educate people about. Because I feel that way I truly don't think an argumentative approach is the best one.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #10  
July 12th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 558
Quote:
I don't post a whole lot mainly because I find the general tone of the posts to be negative and borderline abusive. I know it's a debate forum but some things I've read are just mean and hurtful.

I did have my son circumcised. And yes, I regret my decision. I would not have any future children circed. However, there is nothing I can do to take back this decision. And to be honest, I feel no need to have other women judge me and tell me how wrong, irresponsible & unloving I was to have done so.
I try and share my our experience with new or to-be mommies in a not so hostile environment in hopes that they will make a much more informed decision than I did.
I wonder in & out occasionally and if I come across a well put point I chalk it up to good information I can pass on to someone else in a non hostile manner.
My intentions are not to offend anyone as I 100% understand that this is a very passionate topic and rightfully so. But I think it's a very IMPORTANT topic to talk about and educate people about. Because I feel that way I truly don't think an argumentative approach is the best one.[/b]
Thank you for posting, mia!

I appreciate your feelings, and I admire you tremendously for admitting that circumcising your first son was a mistake. It takes a very brave person to to that, and we have seen many, many parents who refuse to look past their own ego to see what really happened to their son.

Your voice, and others like you, are the loudest and strongest in this debate. Your objection to circumcision is going to carry a lot more weight with undecided parents (or even those who want to circumcise) than mine.

I applaud you for bringing what you've learned to other parents, and I wish you the very best.

Ann
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:32 PM.