Religion and Circumcision

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Revamp's Avatar Super Mommy
Religious circumcision is unacceptable. For boys or for girls.

The reasoning for this is fairly simple: the religion of the child might be contrary to that of his parents or he might have no faith at all.

Accordingly as no consent is given there is no case for the proceedings to occur. The child's body is damaged irreperably and their sexuality stunted in an irreversible fashion. See The Pleasure Thread for more on that.

It seems that when this is argued many of its proponents are accused of "Forcing their views onto others". This is not the case at all. The opposition of circumcision is wholly directed towards precisely that: people forcing their views onto newborns at the end of a knife.

Should adults wish to have themselves circumcised for their own religious or spiritual reasoning then they are free to, their body is their own and they can do precisely what they please with it. When it comes to infants however there is no form of consent available and it is utterly unnacceptable for the decision over amputation of healthy body parts to be made by any other than the owner of that body.

http://www.observer.org.sz/main.asp?id=182...mp;Section=main
July 5th, 2006, 07:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are some aspects of religious tradition that are harmless to an unconsenting child: water on the head, dresses, mass/whatever your church meeting is called, etc. In many cases, the child is given a choice later in their religious life to accept the religion or not (confirmation, for example).

It seems that religions that have practices such as confirmation HAVE an understanding that consent cannot be achieved at a young age, since these religions wait until much later to have the person in question fully accept the religion.

I do not understand, therefore, why religions such as Judaism, which seems to have the understanding that young children are not ready to consent based on their bar mitzvah and (in some sects) confirmation, will continue to irrevesibly slice off a piece of their infant's genetalia.

I would love to hear what the explaination for this is. I would also love to ask a question. If your child no longer wished to be Jewish, would you force him to remain Jewish? If the answer is no, then how could you possibly force the cutting off of a piece of his body before he has the chance to make a choice in what religion he wishes to be?

Another thought...

Why is there such a double standard on this? There are religions that hold to female circumcision, yet we don't need to walk on egg shells when being disgusted with this tradition. What makes religions that request male genetalia to be sliced different than female? How is a religion that demands the removal of the clitoral hood different than one that demands the cutting off of the foreskin?
July 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM
nette's Avatar Super Mommy
I am against circumcision. I am also not religious.

I think when done for religious reasons its different rationalizing.
Its not about if you child wants it, or will apreciate it, its about making them more acceptable for God.
Parents are sadly under the impression that if they raise thier children with the faith then there will never be "why did you cut me?", They likly feel they are doing a service to their child by getting it done early.

I don't think the choice of the child has anything to do with it, because parents that are firm believers also think that if they parent right, thier child will see the "truth" in thier faith. Thus apreciating the 'not so tough choice of circumcision' the parents made towards thier child.

So get it done early to avoid the trama later. This will never to be an issue, because your child will believe in the true religon.
So they feel what they are doing is right.

I feel that if they are strong is thier faith thier is almost no reasoning with them. A case of the "Horse blinkers"
July 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I would also love to ask a question. If your child no longer wished to be Jewish, would you force him to remain Jewish?[/b]
I remember one of our regular Jewish pro-circ'ing mothers commenting that a child born Jewish is always Jewish, no matter what. He could become the Pope and still be Jewish (paraphrasing). This to me suggests that Judaism is much more than simply a religion. I'll try to find the thread and post a link.

~Nay
July 5th, 2006, 04:36 PM
kadydid
I have heard this too. It is not just a religion it is a race of people. I believe it is the same with Hindu’s. I *believe* that they are more than just a religion, and that people from certain parts of India are referred to as being Hindu.
July 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...5&#entry1588745 read post 40

~Nay
July 5th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I don't fully understand it either but there is definitly a faith component to it, going to temple, observing the holidays and celebrations, that a child may either take or leave later in life, just like the faith my Mom was brought up in which was Catholic. She chose not to rause my family and me in that faith particularly after the way she was treated after the divorce but has mentioned to me that because she was baptized she is and always will b Catholic.

However does that justify a permnant physical change done to her as an infant? Of course not. Even if the child believe's "once Jewish, always Jewish" if he rejects the faith when he gets older will he want to have an outward sign of the faith? I would say no.

I agree with the OP--if an adult wantts to get circ'd for religion go ahead, but don't do it to a baby.
Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search