Changing diapers in resteraunt booths

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2006, 05:54 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DO you do it? I thought it was pretty much universal thought that you don't do it.On another board I post on they were talking about it being unsanitary and a LOT of people said they do it. I have a friend who will change her kids on her lap in resteraunts and I can't stand it! I get so emabarrased.
I just think it is completely gross to change your child's diaper in place were you eat never mind where other people are going to eat.
July 5th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Super Mommy
I don't think it's sanitary. I think it's rude to do it in a restaurant.
July 5th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any kids yet (I'm pregnant with my first) but I think that it is a big no-no. I would never think of changing my child's diaper at the dinner table at home, much less at a restaurant table. There are restrooms for that people lol.
Amanda
July 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It depends. A few months back we were at nice place that didn't have changing tables in the restroom (a kids menu but no changing tables!! grrr ). To make matters worse, there were no counters between the sinks (just free standing sinks) and, having a huge preggo belly, the floor wasn't a great option even with the sanitary mat I carry in the diaper bag.

I asked the manager what I should do, as we had walked to the place from our hotel, so the car wasn't even an option. He suggested that I use a booth and brought me to one. He said he would have the bus boy sanitize the booth when I was done.

I had no problems with that. I used my sanitary mat and got the job done.

Grnated, it would never be my first choice (or second or third) but if worse came to worse, I would (and did!) do it. I think I would always inform the staff if it was the last resort so that they could sanitize the seat. E-coli isn't a fun thing
July 5th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think that would be a valid reason IMO. It's not like you really had a choice.
Amanda
July 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm also fixing to have my first and I would never..

That discusting for others who are trying to eat none the less its unsantiary to change a diaper where someone else is fixn to eat. I hate to think my child was fixn to sit where someone had just changed a diapers. Accidents happen and some can come out of the diaper onto the seat or the baby could use the restroom while changing them.

Absolutley not. I think it would be extremely rude unless there is some kind of situation in which you have to and you sanatize the area after you use it. But other than that it shouldn't happen.
July 5th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
It depends. A few months back we were at nice place that didn't have changing tables in the restroom (a kids menu but no changing tables!! grrr ). To make matters worse, there were no counters between the sinks (just free standing sinks) and, having a huge preggo belly, the floor wasn't a great option even with the sanitary mat I carry in the diaper bag.

I asked the manager what I should do, as we had walked to the place from our hotel, so the car wasn't even an option. He suggested that I use a booth and brought me to one. He said he would have the bus boy sanitize the booth when I was done.

I had no problems with that. I used my sanitary mat and got the job done.

Grnated, it would never be my first choice (or second or third) but if worse came to worse, I would (and did!) do it. I think I would always inform the staff if it was the last resort so that they could sanitize the seat. E-coli isn't a fun thing [/b]
I understand in this situation. This is an exception as there simply was NO OTHER CHOICE. I would do the same thing to...well...I'd HAVE to...lol!!
I think she meant willingly, like just doing it just because. KWIM?
July 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm guilty of changing a diaper (with pee only) in a mc donalds booth one time. We were on a road trip and stopped in the middle of nowhere to eat something and that was the only place to eat, and the bathroom was locked and we had been driving for hours and it was the only place I could change him. I didn't want to do it but that was my only choice. Other than that time, I always change him in the bathroom and would never do that again unless I was in a very similar situation.
July 5th, 2006, 06:18 PM
chlodoll
i always see people doing it at mcdonalds, yet i have never seen a mcdonalds without a change table in the washroom. why not just use it.
July 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yea I meant just doing it for no reason Ican see if you have no chnagin table , no access to a bathroom or even if the bathroom is just plain disgusting. lol
July 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM
proudmom3's Avatar Wait for it....
i have never done this, most resteraunts these days have changing stations in them, why cant you walk a extra few steps and change your lil one in private, personally i think it is gross and disrespectful. not to mention just how many pervs may be "looking" at your child in a perv way!! never i would never! i woul dwalk to my car first. JMO

Jessica: 18
Jordan: 11
Shaelyn: 7
Drake: 3

MeMe to Caleb: 23mos

TS to Lynsey: 9
July 5th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I would never do it in a booth by choice.

One thing I wish I saw more of is clean changing tables. Is it jsut around here or does it seem like they get neglected in the cleaning of the bathroom?
July 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm gagging just thinking about this!

I either take them back out to the car or go into the bathroom and change them on the floor. Not directly on the dirty floor--I usually carry disposable changing pads and lay them down on that and change them on the floor. I hate to use public changing tables because they are usually filthy, so with DS who is very big (3y4m) but still wearing diapers I either use disposal changing pads or spread a LOT of paper towels on the floor and change him there.

DH and I were on an airplane once (pre-children) and a couple with kids--3 or 4 ranging from about 6 months to 6 years--got on and sat down right across the aisle from us. The mother plopped the baby down on the seat, and proceded to change his nasty filthy diaper about 18 inches away from my poor DH. It was appalling.

July 5th, 2006, 08:58 PM
beckii's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ITA with what everyone else is saying. I think its rude and disrespectful (unless there is no other option), and I just don't like the thought of people I don't know seeing my daughter half naked, but that's just IMO.
July 6th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Brandy81
Have I done it? Yes. Sorry but some of those changing tables in resturants get neglected and I have a small changing pad. I refuse to lay my childs head down in waste for anther persons sense of propriety. Plus when I have done it a person whould have had to get right up behind me and look over my shoulder to see anything. I only did it after we ate and informed management that the seat needed to be cleaned as did their changing table.
July 6th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If its a last resort I understand. Some bathrooms around here, I wouldn't consider using myself, much less change a diaper in their! And maybe its an art I haven't mastered yet, but changing a diaper in the car [or mine anyways] is difficult - not a whole lot of room!

Do airplanes even have changing areas? I've never seen one on a plane before [then again, I haven't been on a plane with somebody in diapers either].
July 6th, 2006, 06:45 AM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It depends. If they have a changing table in the restroom I will lay a blanket down and change her in there. I have been to places though, where we just get our food, sit down to eat, and she....poos big time. There were no changing tables, it was cold and pouring the rain down outside so I couldn't go to the car.

I did my best to change her so no one could see, but I wasn't about to drag her out in the rain - the was NO WAY I would even lay her on a blanket on that bathroom floor.

It's time resturuants all put changing tables in their bathrooms. It is really emberassing to have to change your child in front of everyone at the tables, probably a little gross for everyone else, but then again - it's very inconsiderate of businesses in my opinion not to have changing tables.

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
July 6th, 2006, 07:20 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unless I had no other option, like stated before, I would not change my child at a restaraunt booth. Not only is it unsanitary, but what about the poor people sitting at tables around you? Ugh, how offended would you be if someone were sitting across the aisle from you and and changed a stinky diaper right there while you were trying to eat? I would be very offended! The way I feel about it is this........BF women are all time complaining about being expected to feed their children in restrooms (I totally support BF in public, so dont misunderstand me here, just trying to make a point) But it is always argued that the restrooms are not for eating, they are for restroom use.......well, wouldnt that be the same as changing a diaper where people eat? You shouldnt be eating in the bathroom and you shouldnt be changing diapers where people eat. It is the same arguement as far as I am concerned. JMO

casey

July 6th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Brandy81
Quote:
If its a last resort I understand. Some bathrooms around here, I wouldn't consider using myself, much less change a diaper in their! And maybe its an art I haven't mastered yet, but changing a diaper in the car [or mine anyways] is difficult - not a whole lot of room!

Do airplanes even have changing areas? I've never seen one on a plane before [then again, I haven't been on a plane with somebody in diapers either].[/b]
OMG! Here is a story! First plane trip for DH and DD#1. SIL gives DD APPLEJUICE!!! She pooped herself on every plane...we had 3 changeovers...bathroom is the size of my closet but has a changing table. I feel like a 400lb man in a pinto. To this day almost 4 years later I am gun shy of applejuice.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search