soda for babies

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2006, 05:57 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This came from my playroom but the post was promptly closed

Anyway do you give your baby/toddler soda? why or why not?
July 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Super Mommy
A baby???? No. I would never.

My nephew (2 1/2) gets soda every now and then....and it's VERY little. It's also usually something that is caffeine free.
July 5th, 2006, 06:02 PM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't give my baby soda and I don't plan to. I don't know when he'll be allowed to have soda.. My first thought is never but I know that's not realistic so I honestly don't know, we'll see when he starts asking for it.
July 5th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Our babies and toddlers do not get soda.

Why?
-empty calories
-bad habit
-ph bad for teeth
-sugar bad for teeth
-waste of money
-fills up the tummy with wasteful substance that adds little to their daily diet

When they get older, they can have soda on very special occasions.
July 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Give soda to a BABY? No way.

My kids who are 3 and 5 get Sprite when we go out to eat--BUT, only if the place doesn't serve milk. Maybe twice a month at most.

July 5th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no I am very against giving my son soda. Others can do what they want, but I dont want it for Cohen. My sister has been DYING to give him soda becuase she gave it to all her babies and thinks the face they make from the bubbles on their tongues is just hilarious and she thinks I am the sillyest most paranoid overprotective mom, but I dont care. Also I am pretty sure I read that caffeine is bad for babies so I would certainly not give him any caffinated beverages. I realise one day he will have soda, but I want to prevent him even getting a taste for it for as long as I can.
I am also one of those mommies who is postponing juice till 1 year and I dont want him having ice cream either. My sister fully aware of how I felt, snuck him some ice cream last week and that upset me, I thought I could trust her... I know a tiny bit wont hurt him, BUT the next day his eczema broke out like you wouldnt believe and I am sure it was because of that. I just get really mad when ppl do things like that behind the parents back, but hey thats a whole other topic.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

July 5th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Why?
-empty calories
-bad habit
-ph bad for teeth
-sugar bad for teeth
-waste of money
-fills up the tummy with wasteful substance that adds little to their daily diet

When they get older, they can have soda on very special occasions.[/b]
I agree!

July 5th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Quote:

Why?
-empty calories
-bad habit
-ph bad for teeth
-sugar bad for teeth
-waste of money
-fills up the tummy with wasteful substance that adds little to their daily diet[/b]

But I did let Kae have a taste of my ice cream yesterday
July 5th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Shhhhh...Isa had ice cream last night, too! I justify this by telling myself there is more nutrional value in ice cream than soda!
July 5th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Veteran
I wouldn't give Elizabeth soda ever, maybe when she is older occasionally.

Actually, one of the playrooms was talking about giving Crystal Light to babies too earlier... It has aspartame!! I wouldn't..
July 5th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Ashes78
No, never. My 10 year olds only get it once in a while.
July 5th, 2006, 07:51 PM
I don't even buy anything that has aspartame in it. that stuff is so bad for you. yuck!
July 6th, 2006, 05:48 AM
Brandy81
When they hit 1 1/2 I see no problem with it. I gave it too my oldest and she has had no teeth problems due to it. She will drink it on occasion when she wants too. Usually though it is Gatoraid or Milk.
July 6th, 2006, 05:59 AM
chlodoll
I never use the word soda so I will replace soda with pop just so you know LOL!

No pop untill they are school age here. Once they are going to other childrens birthday parties and that I am sure it will be unavoidable and thats fine. As long as its a special occasion. And preferably sprite. The last thing kids need is caffiene! I drink pop occasionally. If my DH buys it I'll drink it but I never go out of my way to buy it. My SIL gives her daughter (20 months) sips of pop sometimes. One time we were having dinner and DH thought he had a glass of water and his niece was coughing on some food so he gave her a sip and it was sprite and she made the funniest face!! It made her start coughing more though
July 6th, 2006, 06:53 AM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK... I am going to admit that my baby gets a sip of soda every now and again. It's usually just enough to tickle her mouth and make her shiver and laugh and then we are done with it.

She doesn't get it as a snack. She doesn't get it in a bottle or sippy cup. She doesn't get it as her own little drink. She doesn't get it with meals. Usually I am just holding her and she fights me for my can, takes a teeny tiny sip. I'm not even sure she gets enough to even consider it a sip.

Ayden might get a little bit of sprite when we are out to eat.

Having said that. I am diabetic so I don't even buy soda of any kind for my house. Not even diet. So, Ava's sips are very few and far between and I actually don't remember the last time she even attempted to have a sip.

Yes, soda doesn't have any nutritional value - but it's no better than ice cream, chocolate, icing on cake, candy. And I know most people on here can not deny that they have given their infant a little taste of this stuff. It's fun and gives them something new. Hopefully no one is giving it to them as a main part of a meal or anything, but I don't see the problem with a little taste every now and then.

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
July 6th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ice cream has a lot more nutrition than soda does.

The back of a Coke can:
calories: 140
sodium: 50 mg
carb: 39g
Sugars: 39g
Protein: 0g

includes high fructose corn syrup

The back of our vanilla ice cream:
fat 11g
carb 23g
fiber: .7 g
sugars 13g
protein 3.5g
calcium 128 mg
potassium 199mg

buy stoneyfield ice cream and you also get:
Vitamin A 15%
Calcium 10%
Thiamin 2%
Riboflavin 8%
Vitamin B6 2%
Vitamin B12 6%
Pantothenic Acid 2%
Phosphorus 8%
Magnesium 2%
July 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will not be giving my baby soda at all. Well, unless it is like the last poster (becca) said, just a sip once in a great while. I think all babies are curious and if they see their mommy or daddy eating or drinking something new they are going to want to try it and that is ok, as long as it is a little taste and thats all. Except for if it is alcohol of course, but that is a totally different debate. Hahaha. But I will not allow it as a drink with or without a meal for them until they are much older. My DSD is allowed on glass of soda a day when she is with us, but she always drinks root beer or sprite or fanta, something like that when she gets her one soda. And the only reason she is aloud that much is because that was already DH's rule with her when I came along. LOL. She is 10 years old and ADHD so we hardly ever let her have anything with caffiene in it. And the only time she really gets her one soda a day with us is if we go out to eat because I hardly EVER have pop in the house. I am a Coka Cola ADDICT and so I try really hard not to ever buy any for home or else I would be drinking it all the time. LOL. So, if we go out to eat she can have one glass of whatever soda she wants and then after that she drinks water or milk the rest of the time and when we eat at home, if there is soda in the house she can have a small glass of it with a meal and then that is her pop for the day and she cant have anymore for the rest of the day. Ok, that got a little longwinded. haahha

casey

July 6th, 2006, 09:39 AM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Yes, soda doesn't have any nutritional value - but it's no better than ice cream, chocolate, icing on cake, candy. And I know most people on here can not deny that they have given their infant a little taste of this stuff. It's fun and gives them something new. Hopefully no one is giving it to them as a main part of a meal or anything, but I don't see the problem with a little taste every now and then.[/b]
Not only has my baby not had any of these things, but neither does my 3-year-old! I know, I'm definitely the exception. He has had cake icing twice-his 2 birthdays, never had soda, icecream, cake, or candy. He is allowed to have homemade oatmeal cookies occasionally (not even once a month). BUT-I did start potty training him about a week ago and I bribe him with Altoids when he goes peepee on the potty, but that's it. I don't give my children juice either as I just see it as empty calories. I do tend to be a bit of a health nut tho. My son can drink water, decaff unsweetened ice tea, or soy milk-that's it.

July 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok.. let me get this straight so no one is confused. I in now way give my children soda just to drink. Ava doesn't even get a full drink when she tries the soda.

There is nothing wrong with giving them a little taste of soda, or icing, or ice cream. The problems arise when you just hand them their own cup and just let them shovel away at it.

They want to know what all the fuss is about with what you are eating. A taste is usually enough to sooth their curiosity. Plus, if my kids can't have it, I usually don't eat it in front of them. Ava doesn't taste soda every day, or even every month. But I am not going to sit here and say she never has done it before.

And I think it is silly to argue the nutritional values of soda vs. ice cream. They are both bad and doctors are not going to recommend either. No matter if they have all kinds of vitamins added to all the other junk or not. Its kind of like arguing which evil you would rather give your child. It boils down to the fact that both are ultimately not beneficial in any way as far as health is concerned.

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search