Sons and Daughters

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Super Mommy
The majority of males are born with more muscular/stronger bodies. I have no clue as to why...but it's clearly obvious. They are taller stronger blah blah blah. (yes yes, not all the time, but the majority).

Boys get molested, raped, kidnapped etc...But females....gosh, females seem to get it 10x's WORSE than the boys do!! Every time I turn around it's this girl got kidnapped and raped, or this girl is molested...or this girl is murdered and raped...etc etc...

Would I be scared to let my 14 year old son walk alone at night (like evening, not 1 am or anything like that lol)? Yes, of course I'd worry. What about my daughter? I'd BE TERRIFIED!!!

It seems like crimes are committed more often on females than males!!! So, yes, I probably will treat my daughter differently because she would be more in danger than my son (if I ever have one) would be.
July 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree I was a wild teen-ager and I know I have more to worry about when it comes to my girls than my boys.
July 5th, 2006, 08:03 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
There's a really great book titled, "Why Gender Matters" by Leonard Sax, M.D., PhD. I think you would enjoy reading it.

~Nay
July 5th, 2006, 10:12 PM
mrobinson
I don't think I understand the question?
July 6th, 2006, 05:53 AM
Brandy81
This might offend...but my dad used to say...With a boy you have to worry about one penis with a girl you have to worry about them all.
July 6th, 2006, 06:08 AM
chlodoll
^ LOL! I think thats a good saying!
July 6th, 2006, 06:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That is a good saying!

Bad things seem to happen more often to girls, then boys.
July 6th, 2006, 06:30 AM
chlodoll
I think they need to be treated differently in that sense but boys need to be taught to respect themselves and women better. I think sometimes boys are forgotten. Like they can take care of themselves. If
July 6th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would probably worry more and have stricter rules on a daughter then I would a son. I know that sounds bad, but I just feel like girls are a little more vulnerable and susceptible to being victims then boys. Not that boys aren't, but I just feel like I would be more protective of a girl then a boy. Hopefully my daughter won't be as wild as I was growing up. I always tell my fiance "I know what teenage girls do behind their mom's back." LOL.
Amanda
July 6th, 2006, 07:37 AM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
This might offend...but my dad used to say...With a boy you have to worry about one penis with a girl you have to worry about them all[/b]

LMAO!!!
July 6th, 2006, 08:44 AM
mrobinson
Bad things happen to girls because we oppress them in the first place. We don't believe they are capable of taking care of themselves ~ we certainly don't arm them the way we do boys.. Hence the issue. By raising our boys differently we even reenforce women to be weaker.
July 6th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Bad things happen to girls because we oppress them in the first place. We don't believe they are capable of taking care of themselves ~ we certainly don't arm them the way we do boys.. Hence the issue. By raising our boys differently we even reenforce women to be weaker.[/b]
I don't really agree with that. Boys are born physically stronger~~in the face of danger...it's everyones natural reaction to do whatever means necessary to protect themselves whether they are male or female. But a male would have the upper hand because they are stronger. Also, being female, we wear different clothes than men do. We show more skin due to skirts and low cut shirts etc etc... it makes for the physical attraction to be pulled more towards the females.
July 6th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not ready to debate yet b/c I just got back from the Dr's and I'm in a good mood But I just wanted to say this scares the crap out of me cuz I just found out I'm probobly having a little girl!! And I will be the most protective mommy ever, because I know firsthand what it's like to be a victim and I never want my daughter to go through that....
I'll be back
July 6th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If we all focused on raising our boys to be more respectful and in control of their bodies maybe, by default, "the night" would become equal again. I know you can't count on other parents to do this; thus, you have to include a more "defense minded" strategy with girls; however, you can furhter the cause by focusing on your boys as well and try to ge them to go against the perceived grain.

_________

"You can control anyone one handed if you know what to do with that hand"- motto of my self defense instructor. I'd definitely encourage our girls to take the course with me
July 6th, 2006, 11:18 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Boys are born physically stronger[/b]
Are they victims as newborns?

Quote:
~~in the face of danger...it's everyones natural reaction to do whatever means necessary to protect themselves whether they are male or female. But a male would have the upper hand because they are stronger.[/b]
Are you sure? Even the US army uses tanks, ships and planes before they send in troops for hand to hand combat. If we are going to fight, we use our brains first. Bruce Lee taught me that.

Quote:
Also, being female, we wear different clothes than men do. We show more skin due to skirts and low cut shirts etc etc... it makes for the physical attraction to be pulled more towards the females.[/b]
This is exactly what I'm talking about.. We let ourselves be sexualized and teach our boys it's ok to sexualize. We actually have the power to curb this thinking. When I read your words, I see ~ girls get raped because they ask for it. Do you say that? no but how far from it is that thinking?

Quote:
If we all focused on raising our boys to be more respectful and in control of their bodies maybe, by default, "the night" would become equal again. I know you can't count on other parents to do this; thus, you have to include a more "defense minded" strategy with girls; however, you can furhter the cause by focusing on your boys as well and try to ge them to go against the perceived grain.

_________

"You can control anyone one handed if you know what to do with that hand"- motto of my self defense instructor. I'd definitely encourage our girls to take the course with me [/b]
July 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM
pixie_styx's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it is our natural "protective" instinct to hold our girls closer. But you can get to a point where you are endangering your child's ability to learn how to stand up for herself or how to protect herself. It reinforces instead that the girl needs someone to look out for her, and when that girl is in trouble her first instict will not be to to "whatever is necessary"....she will instead be looking for someone to help her.
Regarding physical strength, like previous posters have said; you can be taught to defend yourself against a stronger opponent. There are many martial arts that were specifically formed with this as their basis. So instead of "protecting" our daughters why don't we empower them?
Regarding boys, I think Isabellamom hit it right on the head. Maybe too often we just let boys be boys and let them have too much rein.
That said all of this is a theory that is difficult to walk the walk.
July 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I think it is our natural "protective" instinct to hold our girls closer. But you can get to a point where you are endangering your child's ability to learn how to stand up for herself or how to protect herself. It reinforces instead that the girl needs someone to look out for her, and when that girl is in trouble her first instict will not be to to "whatever is necessary"....she will instead be looking for someone to help her.
Regarding physical strength, like previous posters have said; you can be taught to defend yourself against a stronger opponent. There are many martial arts that were specifically formed with this as their basis. So instead of "protecting" our daughters why don't we empower them?
Regarding boys, I think Isabellamom hit it right on the head. Maybe too often we just let boys be boys and let them have too much rein.
That said all of this is a theory that is difficult to walk the walk.[/b]

July 6th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Super Mommy
Bad things don't happen to girls because we treat them differently. Bad things happen to girls because of the sickos out there. My parenting choices has no effect on a mans (or womans) will to want to rape/kidnap/murder etc...my daughter.
July 6th, 2006, 01:16 PM
mrobinson
If you don't think you're way of treating boys and girls differently contributes to this issue of "sickos" then that's why it can't ever change.
July 6th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hmmm lets see ... I have one of each ....

they are treated differently cause of gender with MINOR things but I have tried to instill in BOTH of them the right values.

I try to teach my son to respect not only himself but also his own friends and members of the opposite sex

I try to teach my daughter to respect her body and also her friends and members of the opposite sex

I try to teach them to be street smart by reading about what happens to kids in the newspapers .... if it can happen to ppl we dont know it can happen to anyone

Both kids so far look out for each other's back and so far I am pleased

keeping fingers crossed that it can stay that way so that I dont have to turn into an over fussy over bearing parent.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search