Moove over Milk

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Veteran
Can someone please explain why exactly humans drink milk? Or any animal products for that matter?

Cow milk is meant for baby cows, as human milk is meant for baby humans. Monkeys don't drink milk from lions, why should we?

Milk carries so many disease causing organisms and studies have shown that it increases your risk of getting leukemia and a number of other things.

I do use milk in cooking and stuff, but I would like to be vegan. I'm vegetarian though.
July 5th, 2006, 07:26 PM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
We dont drink cows milk. In our house, its soy milk only! But both of my girls are allergic to cows milk and Im lactose intolerant so soy milk is best for us. I never much understood the attraction to cows milk anyway
July 5th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I read a really good book on this a while back! and for the life of me I can't remember the name...

Anyway...there was a section about evolution of man and milk that argued that the ability to digest raw milk from grass fed animals gave an evolutionary advantage and, because of this, humans with the ability were more able to reproduce. Instead of eating bone for calcium, they could drink milk.

These humans domesticated grass fed animals and used the milk for many products besides just the raw milk itself.

fast forward thousands of years...

With modern diets to take the place of milk, many societies no longer consume it while others still prefer it as an easy way to obtain calcium and good fats.

On the subject of infants drinking the milk of another animal...
Human milk is prgrammed to fulfill the evolutionary capacity of humans. Our milk is higher in the nutrients our infants need; for example, the human brain requires a lot of fat and fatty acids, which our milk has in abundance over cows milk. Protein and carb levels vary greatly because our bodies require different concentrations for optimal development than cows.
July 5th, 2006, 07:57 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so now that milk is super processed and pasturized and cows are pumped full of antibotics and growth horomones would that still apply? lol

I could give up milk but never ice cream.

hoorayfly- kinda OT but this is what iwas flipping back and forth form Jm to
http://meatlesszone.blogspot.com/

It has some yummy pics if you figure out how to make them let me know cause I ccan't figure out how to get to the actual recipies. lol
July 5th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Veteran
I would definately have trouble giving up ice cream also, Tofutti is a really good sub though.

I couldn't find the recipes either! Some of that looks really good, my friend used to make the veggie sushi, I LOVE that stuff!
July 6th, 2006, 07:47 AM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
I would definately have trouble giving up ice cream also, Tofutti is a really good sub though.

I couldn't find the recipes either! Some of that looks really good, my friend used to make the veggie sushi, I LOVE that stuff![/b]
You dont have to give up ice cream! The girls eat this kind - Soy Delicious - They have a TON of flavors and varieties and most of them actually taste better than regular ice cream. Id definitely recommend trying it.
July 6th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like the way it tastes... that's why I drink it.

If poo on a stick tasted good, I would probably eat that.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 6th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love milk lol. I guess I drink it because I like it and it's always been considered "the norm" where I grew up. If Soy milk or any other form of milk was "the norm" growing up I would be drinking that instead lol.
Amanda

ETA: "The norm" meaning my family and our way of life. I didn't mean it to say that other forms of milk aren't normal lol.
July 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Can someone please explain why exactly humans drink milk? Or any animal products for that matter?[/b]

I like milk.... I like meat... I suppose I could live without them, but I don't wanna.

I know, I am not profitable to this debate in any way.. lol

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
July 6th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I argue this with people all the time! I still eat dairy (mmm cheese) and I eat some meat products but its because I like the taste or am to lazy to read labels/make something else. I like sugar too but i don't NEED it!
July 6th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I like the way it tastes... that's why I drink it.

If poo on a stick tasted good, I would probably eat that.[/b]
I LOVE this response! Hahaha!

And it especially tastes good if you add chocolate to it. Mmmmm!
Many people these days don't get enough calcium in their diets and dairy is a great source of easily digestible calcium.

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

July 6th, 2006, 11:09 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Count me as one of those silly people that 'likes' to drink milk. Like stated before, it is a great source of calcium. Why SHOULDNT we drink it? Dont answer that, because I really dont want to know. I have a really big problem with people coming along and telling me all the horrible and/or disgusting reasons why I shouldnt be consuming something that I like and that is not causing me any harm. So, really, please dont answer my question because I dont want to know. I like milk, I like meat and I dont plan to stop consuming them any time soon. Animals such as cows, pigs and chickens were made for us to eat and therefore I shall eat them! Cows produce milk that is good for us and there for I shall drink it!

casey

July 6th, 2006, 01:35 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
mm I love milk. My husband has actually asked me to slow down on my milk consumption.. I like it because it tastes good. I love Dr. Pepper too, I know it isn't good for me but I drink it because it tastes good. Milk does do the body good.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 6th, 2006, 01:51 PM
mrobinson

Robyn.. you're too funny!

I can't decide on this one.. Dh doesn't like milk anymore because he thinks it makes him break wind. I've always liked milk and dairy. Since becoming vegetarian, I have thought about dropping dairy but I just really like dairy for now.
July 6th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Hahah Michelle! That is funny about your DH. In my house there is just DH and myself and DSD one night a week for a few hours and everyother weekend. I go to the grocery store every Friday and buy groceries for the week and in a week where it is just DH and myself and no DSD for the weekend I buy 2 gallons of milk and if we have DSD for the weekend I buy 3. We are BIG milk drinkers but we go through all that milk and I maybe have a total of 5 large glasses of it that whole week. Between putting it in my coffee and drinking small glasses with dinner every other night. So, saying that, you can see how much milk my DH consumes in a week! I think that I would be stoned if I told DH that we were no longer going to drink milk because it was only for baby cows.

casey

July 6th, 2006, 04:40 PM
kadydid
Just thought I would throw this into the mix since the calcium part was brought up.
http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicle/96/1...teoporosis.html
Quote:
"This phenomenon could explain why Americans, who ingest much higher levels of calcium, have much higher rates of osteoporosis and hip fractures compared with many Chinese and other Asians who consume few dairy products and ingest low amounts of calcium," Campbell said. Hip fractures in the United States, for example, are approximately five times more frequent than in China.[/b]
I still eat dairy but am trying to let go of that too. I am sure it will take some time, because I love me some cheese! And soy cheese is just not the same to me at this point. I don't eat flesh though.

Also I have a friend who worked in Africa (and even donated her own breast milk to a mom with AIDS to give to her baby) and she learned that Donkey Milk is the closest milk to humans...........YUCK! If that doesn’t sound gross I don’t know what does! LOL I bet formula companies would go out of business if they started using Donkey milk!
July 6th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
**le sigh** I think I'll just stop eating and drinking altogether.

Agatha Christie</span>
July 6th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
**le sigh** I think I'll just stop eating and drinking altogether.[/b]
LMAO!
Amanda
July 6th, 2006, 10:23 PM
irishxrose
I don't like milk... except in my cereal.

My DF on the other hand drinks three to four glasses a day.
July 7th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Just thought I would throw this into the mix since the calcium part was brought up.
http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicle/96/1...teoporosis.html
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
"This phenomenon could explain why Americans, who ingest much higher levels of calcium, have much higher rates of osteoporosis and hip fractures compared with many Chinese and other Asians who consume few dairy products and ingest low amounts of calcium," Campbell said. Hip fractures in the United States, for example, are approximately five times more frequent than in China.[/b]
I still eat dairy but am trying to let go of that too. I am sure it will take some time, because I love me some cheese! And soy cheese is just not the same to me at this point. I don't eat flesh though.

Also I have a friend who worked in Africa (and even donated her own breast milk to a mom with AIDS to give to her baby) and she learned that Donkey Milk is the closest milk to humans...........YUCK! If that doesn’t sound gross I don’t know what does! LOL I bet formula companies would go out of business if they started using Donkey milk!
[/b][/quote]

Ok fine, forget the calcium then........Milk is good. I like it. Is that a good enough answer? I like it, DH likes it and DSD likes it. It is doing more good than harm so therefore we will continue to drink it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search