Should everyone be forced to stay in school until...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Super Mommy
They either graduate or turn 18? Should dropping out be illegal (even with parental consent)???

I do not think that dropping out should be illegal. I think it should be kept the way it is, with the child being able to drop out if they have parental consent.
July 6th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Brandy81
Naw don't change it...the world needs people to work at McDonalds.
July 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have mixed feelings!

Some people, going and sitting in classes is not benifical. For example, my brother at 4th grade had 11th and 12th grade levels in all core subjects. He'd whiz threw work [in high school], in no time. Going to class, and sitting there fustrated him, and going over the same material over and over again didn't help for days and days - even in advanced placement classes'. If he was socially/emotional/behavioral "at grade/age level", I could understand him wanting to drop out and get his GED, and go on with life [but 6 months away from graduation isn't a smart idea, might as well wait it out...].

If you have a good reason for dropping out, then fine. But if your just dropping out cuz you don't like to go to school, or whatever I do'nt get that.
July 6th, 2006, 06:26 AM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I taught for 5 years and my school did everything they could to get students who had dropped out to come back. Unfortunately for me, they put 5 of them in one of my classes and it was a nightmare--I couldn't control them, they didn't care....I had our Security officer come down one day to do a talk on gangs and when he saw my class, he went straight to the principal and said 'That's completely unfair to her--you have to get some of them out. No teacher could handle those 5 together'. I think most kids belong in school, but there are definitely some that would be better suited getting their GED and finding a job or going to a trade school or military. 5 of these 4 were smart as could be--just had no interest in learning or being in such a structured environment. I don't promote dropping out, but don't make it illegal.

July 6th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think they should be allowed to drop out with parental consent. IMO, some people just aren't cut out for high school. They could always go and get their GED.
Amanda
July 6th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think everyone should be forced to stay in school until they reach a basic minimum level of intelligence and common sense--at least able to read a newspaper, add and subtract, be able to make basic decisions and differentiate between smart and dumb behavior--sometimes that happens in a couple of years, some people graduate from college without gaining those skills!!

Just kidding of course, but how do you make someone stay in school that doesn't want to? Should there be armed guards posted at the door to keep everyone in? Maybe I am old-fashioned, but "education" is not for everyone. Some people are better off getting a job at a younger age and not staying in school. This is not true for everyone--I personally think that you cannot replace a good education, but some people drop out of school (or are thrown out) and end up just fine. One notable example--Thomas Edison was thrown out of school several times (I don't know if he actually graduated, and that was a long time ago) but he did turn out all right. Some people don't benefit from structured education, although most people do. And some people drop out because they are bums, but keeping them there would just disrupt school for those who do benefit. So bottom line, I vote let people drop out if their parents say so.

July 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Bakerybrat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Naw don't change it...the world needs people to work at McDonalds.[/b]
Last I heard you need a master's degree in fryology to work at McD's All joking aside, it's getting harder and harder to find decent jobs with a high school diploma let alone no diploma at all. I don't think it should be illegal but something needs to be done to help these kids get some kind of certification or training. I read an article in Newsweek recently that the Gov of NC is trying to get something going with the community college system there to do just that. They still do the GED testing but they also get training in a tech skill of their choice, like auto mechanics and even nursing. From what I've read some of the kids going through the program are even thinking about going on even further with schooling. Most of them had never even thought about community college let alone a university. Give em and inch, and maybe they will take a mile.

July 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it all depends on the person. I have mixed feelings really.

My brother was in the 10th grade when he withdrew from school with my mom's consent. He was always getting into fights and he has a big mouth and a hard time keeping it closed so he was getting detentions and suspensions left and right. Finally he decided to turn it around and just try to get through school, he stopped hanging out with his old friends and everything and was doing farely well. And then a kid started messing with him, and my brother told him to just stop or else they were gonna fight. And the kid kept going. So after class was over, my brother got up to leave and the kid started in again. My brother turned around and knocked him down with one punch to the face. Even though everyone in the class backed my brother and even the kid that got hit stood up for him........he was arrested and put in juvenile detention over night and then put on probation until he was 18. After that he went to his guidance counselor (for the millionth time) and the dean of boys at the school and told them he wanted to leave school......the BOTH told him that they thought that was best. My mom went in the next day and took him out of school and told the counselor and dean what she thought of them and the counselor had to nerve to tell her that my brother would never ammount to anything. It has been about 3 years since that happened and he went on to graduate from home schooling that he took on his own over the internet, he is working a VERY well paying job where almost all the men in my family work and he is attending college. In that case, no, no one should have forced him to stay in school. He was 16 years old, but he knew what he was doing and he did it all on his own.

Now.............the flip side of that is.......my cousin was only in the 6th grade and decided she didnt want to go to school anymore. She was having alot of trouble with homework and paying attention. My aunt took her out of school and decided to home school her instead of getting her a tutor or having her checked for adhd or anything like that. The very first day that she was to homeschool her, she emailed her ex-teacher 5 times asking for work ideas and what to teach her and cirriculums. Then she got upset when the teacher told her that she had 28 other students to teach and did not have time to teach my aunt and her daughter at the same time as the other students who were still in school. In this case, I do feel that there should have been some kind of rule or law or something to make sure my cousin stayed in school. My whole family is trying to convince her to send my cousin back at the start of the new school year. She is already soooo far behind the other kids that were in her class, I just hope she doesnt have to repeat a grade.

Those are my thoughts, I just cant make up my mind. LOL

July 6th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it should be the way as-is. There is the option of getting a GED thankfully.

July 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think it should be a decision not made lightly of course. And the student shouldn't make the decision alone (they need parent consent). But first I think the school should do what they can to try to bring the student up to speed. Maybe the student needs glasses but can't afford to buy them, therefore they are falling behind in class and feeling discouraged. This happened to a 5th grade girl I know.

Parents should be more involved with their kids' schoolwork and keep track of how they're doing. Maybe before we let these kids slide so far downhill, we can do something to prevent the need to drop out. Now of course there will be health issues and whatnot that might force a kid to drop out...those are individual cases and should be looked at as such.

I admire people who go back to get the GED. My mom is a GED teacher and she gets frustrated for her students because many of them can barely read (I just don't understand how this happens...Im reading to my 4 month old already). But, honesly a GED does not hold the same value to most employers as a high school diploma does. Some may argue and I agree it shouldn't matter...since they went back and GOT IT! But the reality is...it doesn't hold the same value. It's really unfortunate. That's why I would do everything in my power to find the real reason behind someone wanting to drop out.

July 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I read an article in Newsweek recently that the Gov of NC is trying to get something going with the community college system there to do just that.[/b]
The only thing I know of with the community college, is that they allow you to take courses while still in High school. But, you have to have some sort of approval, not sure exactly what though. I haven't heard anything recently though. The community college I go to, offers certificate programs, that take 18 wks or so for different fields. And credits transfer to the university. But i'm not sure if its like that all across NC.
July 6th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Bakerybrat's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's still in the experimental phases. As always, Gov. Easley is trying it out in the Triad and Greensboro area. Do you go to CP? I'm from Charlotte but I'm currently living in Texas.

July 6th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I Got my GED and it was the best desition of my life. I COULD NOT stay in class for more then 10 minuets without getting completly parinoid and agravated. I had stop attending school unless I had in-school-suspention. I had no "educational" resion to be there (I had college scores) I just had to complete my 300 hours. in that time I learned to trust, talk, and built my self-esteem. I relized that I was smart enough to go to college. My parents didn't even thought I could read or do math. I was given the tools I needed to acually help succed that there is no way I would if I stayed in school.
Honestly I think the Drop out age should be 16.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search