An Exploration of the LLD

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Revamp's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I think we should let each other know this.

[1] Is your son circumcised? If so is your husband?

[2] Is your son not circumcised? If so is your husband not circumcised?

I think regardless I would go against it, for my own reasons, but since my husband isnt I believe that is why my son is not. Alot of my friends I have talked to they follow the fathers foot steps.

[3] what is your thought on this?[/b]
In response to [1] and [2] I shall say this: circumcision is a form of body modification. Personally I would say that it fufills the criteria of classification for mutilation but that is contested.

As body modification is a piece of cosmetic surgery and cosmetic surgery is wholly subjective in nature and should thus be only ever performed upon the consenting. As an infant can not consent by children, be they boys or girls, will be left intact.

This is not so much a decision as leaving the default: if they wish for a circumcision later then they may have one. At time of birth however their own wishes are towards the negative (hence they squirm, struggle and protest when the operation proceeds, unless they have been heavily drugged-up beforehand) and accordingly that should be respected. If at a later date it shifts to the positive then, as their body is their own, they may do what they please with their genitals.

I currently have no spouse.

The notion of father-son genital similarity being of great import is a rather curious one to me. My father was circumcised, I am intact and that never really caused any problems at all. In fact I can not recall noticing. The prominent discrepancies are always going to be size and hair and they are so substantial that other features are unlikely to be noticed unless the parental penis is being examined in great detail, which is something that I find unlikely.

As reasoning I find the ubiquitous "Look like daddy" rather irksome, inadequete and insufficient, I have no received evidence of these genital discrepancies really causing any difficulties. Contrastingly, what I do no can cause damage to the developing mind-set with regards to the aesthetic of genitals is any one of the numerous complications circumcision can cause.

A webbed penis, hairy shaft, skin bridges, bent erection or any other of the multitude of unsightly mishaps that can befall the circumcised penis are certainly complications I can imagine affecting esteem. More than a glimpse of a paternal penis with a good deal less skin? Undoubtably.

I have yet to hear of an actual instance of this difference any trauma or distress. Usually it is not noticed or viewed worthy of remarking upon at all but when it is a simple explanation based around the basic template of "Your father had an operation to make it look that way, you didn't." with perhaps some concession of reasoning along the lines of believing it to be cruel and mentioning its descent in popularity seems to be totally suffecient in calming all curiosity.

And curiosity it is, please note. I have yet to see any evidence of this difference causing anything more sinister anywhere but delusional fantasy.

But have I viewed immense pleasure being suffered from circumcision itself? Have I seen those squirming, squalling forms writing and rippling with agony and heard their pitiful wails? Have I seen the grotesque consequences of misjudged growth? Have I read the forlorn accounts of those who have had their sexualities damaged deeply by this vile operation? Have I seen the death certificates of those unfortunate few whose actual lives have been lost through no neccessity?

Yes. With my own eyes.

It is, therefore, merely another logic-devoid, irrational piece of would-be reasoning made to justify a highly cruel operation that robs an innocent infant of consent and pleasure irreperably.

http://www.observer.org.sz/main.asp?id=182...mp;Section=main
July 6th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:

I think regardless I would go against it, for my own reasons, but since my husband isnt I believe that is why my son is not. Alot of my friends I have talked to they follow the fathers foot steps.

My DH is circumcised; his father was not, though we didn't learn this until just a few years ago (DH and his brother were both VERY surprised).

My Dad and brothers were all circumcised.

We live in a region with a high circumcision rate.

Our sons are intact.
July 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Revamp's Avatar Super Mommy
No other takers?

http://www.observer.org.sz/main.asp?id=182...mp;Section=main
July 10th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No one in our family history has ever been circumcised as far as we know, on either side.

In my husband's words:
"Where we are from, people are more likely to be arrested for child abuse for attempting to cut off a peice of their son's penis than to find a doctor who will perform the operation without medical reason." While this is an exaggeration, it sums up my thoughts pretty well.

If we cannot explain to our children why they are different from their family, how can we hope that they will accept and respect differences between cultures, races, or even their friends?
July 10th, 2006, 11:24 AM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:

[/b]
Our son is intact. My husband is circ'd.

~Nay

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search