Age Limit

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Super Mommy
Anyone heard of the 59 year old woman who just had twins (she turns 60 on aug 11)? And she also has a toddler? What do you think? Do you think there is an age where you are just "too old" to have kids? She said she had just wanted her toddler to have a brother/sister....

I don't agree with this. I think she was too old, and she probably won't be there to see her children grow up, which I find is sad.

Anyone have links? I don't, and I wouldn't know how to put them in here anyway LOL!!
July 6th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will never say that I agree with regulating anyone's reproductive rights. It will never seem ok to me, regardless of the circumstance.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 6th, 2006, 09:10 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
I will never say that I agree with regulating anyone's reproductive rights. It will never seem ok to me, regardless of the circumstance.[/b]

Besides, "healthy" thirty year olds die daily from cancer.
July 6th, 2006, 09:23 AM
syncere
I honestly cant say one way or the other.. I mean the older you get the more chance you are taking into problems that can occur during pregnancy with the baby and the chance of not being around to see them fully grow up.. But then again there are some women who are 40-50 who have perfectly normal healthy babies.. There are women who are 20 or younger who develop cervical cancer or breast cancer who just up and die and dont get to see their babies grow up either.. I guess as long as you are in relatively good condition as a older woman why not..
July 6th, 2006, 09:33 AM
chlodoll
Menopause is the age limit. My Dad was almost 50 when he had me. Should he not have? Men are forever fertile so women should take advantage of their fertility and have children whenever they please.
July 6th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Wendy's Avatar Super Mommy
What if that mother was the grandmother who ended up having to take care of her grandkids? Would it be diiferent. Grandparents get stuck raising grandkids all of teh time. Really IMO there is no difference.
That 60 year old could die tomorrow but so could a 25 year old mother of twins.

July 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay do I think their should be a legal age limit. No way. Do I personally think certain people shouldn't be having children, yes. But it's not so much age as it is reasons...Like if a woman had been trying to have children for years and finally got pregnant at age 50 (either naturally or with medical intervention) then I'm okay with that. I could not imagine have young children that old but it wouldn't be me having them! However, a woman who never wanted children and decides to have children late in life for "selfish" reasons (she wants someone to look after her when she's old, or her current bf/dh wants children so she has them for him) I think that's wrong. But i think it's wrong at any age.

On another note I think someone would be CRAZY to have kids at 59! Man, imagine being in your 70's dealing with teenagers. Exhausting!
July 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think there is anythign wrong with it. I know if I get pregnant at 60 it will be a BIG surprise.. But I would deal with it.

It might look a little strange to others but the parents and the child will make it through. There are worse things that could happen to a family.

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
July 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Okay do I think their should be a legal age limit. No way. Do I personally think certain people shouldn't be having children, yes. But it's not so much age as it is reasons...Like if a woman had been trying to have children for years and finally got pregnant at age 50 (either naturally or with medical intervention) then I'm okay with that. I could not imagine have young children that old but it wouldn't be me having them! However, a woman who never wanted children and decides to have children late in life for "selfish" reasons (she wants someone to look after her when she's old, or her current bf/dh wants children so she has them for him) I think that's wrong. But i think it's wrong at any age.

On another note I think someone would be CRAZY to have kids at 59! Man, imagine being in your 70's dealing with teenagers. Exhausting![/b]
July 6th, 2006, 10:54 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wonder how a legal age limit would or could be enforced. I dont want to think of the legal/ethical/moral ramifications of an age limit.
July 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Super Mommy
I should have reworded the "question". Not a legal age limit. I guess I was wanting everyone personal opinion on the matter.

I don't think there should be a legal age limit either and I don't see how that would be enforced if there was.
July 6th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Menopause is the age limit.[/b]
DITTO!

Isn't the average life span 70-80 years old? If you have a child at 60, chances are, they'll still be young when you pass away. I know people can die at any age, but being that kid, I don't know.
July 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
To me it really doesn't matter. People find it acceptable for 70-year-old men to father children more than they find it acceptable for a 60-year-old woman to have children.

July 6th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
To me it really doesn't matter. People find it acceptable for 70-year-old men to father children more than they find it acceptable for a 60-year-old woman to have children.[/b]
OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry King anyone? Hugh Hefner? Where's the hullabaloo over those relic's fathering children at their 'Advanced PATERNAL Age.'

Agatha Christie</span>
July 6th, 2006, 02:54 PM
mrobinson
No kidding eh?
July 6th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
[/quote]

OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry King anyone? Hugh Hefner? Where's the hullabaloo over those relic's fathering children at their 'Advanced PATERNAL Age.'
[/quote]

Exactly who I was thinking!

July 6th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
To me it really doesn't matter. People find it acceptable for 70-year-old men to father children more than they find it acceptable for a 60-year-old woman to have children.[/b]
Hmmmm I never thought of it that way. Ty
July 6th, 2006, 09:19 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Menopause is the age limit.[/b]
DITTO!

Isn't the average life span 70-80 years old? If you have a child at 60, chances are, they'll still be young when you pass away. I know people can die at any age, but being that kid, I don't know.
[/b][/quote]

Yes - but being that kid...you would even be here - is htat a better option somehow. If I had to choose between a mom that was 60 when I was born or jsut not beingborn - I'll take the old mamma anyday.

Would that kid like a younger mom? Probably. If asked (particularly as teenagers) we pretty much all could have written a 10 page report on all the small & big things we would have liked to see different in our parents (prehaps even just on mom alone). Kids never think everything was perfect & nothing ever is. AS long as someone has reasonably good health I don't see the big deal. There are no guarantees in life. Dh's dad died in a car wreck when he was a kid...no one could have known his young dad wasn't going to be here - it's all chance.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will just speak from personal experience, my DHs father is 64 and my sister in law is only 13! I have seen the struggles they both go through, him not having the energy to deal with her teenage girl drama, he also grew up in a totally different society today and is having difficulty understanding the issues, I also notice how embaressed she is at school and such when her dad is around. Not because he is old but because of his views etc dealing with the war etc. He expresses them very outwardly if that is even a word! I think after a certain age you should call it quits but I dont think it should be forced. A personal choice.

July 7th, 2006, 06:43 PM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My grandfather had 12 kids and the youngest ones being younger than me. I have a 16 yeard old aunt, an 18 year old aunt and more but they are the youngest ones. My grandfather died 7 years ago and I felt really bad bc the youngest 4 all being under 18 at the time, the youngest one being 9 had to deal with his parkinson disease for 2 years and it was very hard on them. We all love my grandpa of course! But I feel like my youngest aunts needed a dad as they were still very young, and sadly for the last 2 years of his life it was more like they (with their mom) were taking care of him. I think its a personal choice, but me personally, I rather be a young mom.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search