Should parents ride motorcycles

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Should parents ride motorcycles
Yes 21 70.00%
No 6 20.00%
Unsure 2 6.67%
Let me explain 1 3.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2006, 12:52 PM
mrobinson
Should parents ride motorcycles? Ones who have kids? Dicuss...
July 6th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say yes..

IDEALLY they have some sort of 'in case' stuff... like life-insurance and the like. Helmet wearing is a must as well..

its ok for any ADULT to ride a motorcycle , IMHO

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 6th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I said NO! DH wants one, I am putting my foot down, they are dangerous! I have had 2 friends die in motorcycle crashes and 1 other who was paralyzed from the waist down. I don't want want my family owning one, I don't want my children riding them....my answer will always be no!

July 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM
mrobinson
What about full safety courses and gear? Full face helmets?
July 6th, 2006, 01:23 PM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say yes. My parents have riden motorcycles since I was in grade school, I love them. I still get nervous getting on the back of one, but if DH and I had the extra money I would get one for myself. The key is taking safety classes and wearing helmets and things like that. You cant ever get too comfortable riding a motorcycle because that is where the trouble comes in. I have also had a family member die in a motorcycle accident. She was not wearing a helmet and flew off the back of the bike when it hit a pothole and crashed. Simply wearing a helmet would have saved her life. But, the fact is, an adult can make their own desicion and I say, if they want to ride a motorcycle and they are being safe, why try to stop them? Just because they are parents doesnt really have a lot to do with it. Motorcycles are no more dangerous than cars if the person operating it is fully educated on HOW to operate it! JMO

Casey

July 6th, 2006, 01:29 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just because you are a parent doesn't mean you need to live in a bubble. Our life doesn't end when we have kids. Every day you risk your life numerous times. You could get hit by a car crossing the street, get into a car accident, fall down the stairs...ect. You can't eliminate everything that could potentially be dangerous and you shouldn't. so I voted yes.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 6th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think yes they can. Before becoming a parent they are sometimes more reckless but after becoming a parent they are usually more responsible.

July 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM
greenjeans's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I said yes. to frgsonmysox. I would never dream of making dh give up his bike just because we had a kid. He has been to advanced riding classes and learned to ride from a retired motorcycle cop. He not only knows how to ride, but knows how to fall. Because he drives a truck and flies a plane he is naturally a very defensive driver.

July 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes
of course with helmets, I think it is crazy that it isn't law everywhere to wear helmets.

July 6th, 2006, 05:48 PM
baccalynnwv's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I voted yes. I don't know why they shouldn't be allowed to.

<div align="center"></div>

<div align="center">Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6</div>
July 6th, 2006, 06:07 PM
Ashes78
Yes, why not? My dh has one and I have been looking into getting one for me. When my mom found out I was thinking about getting one for me she flipped out.
July 6th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Quote:
What about full safety courses and gear? Full face helmets?[/b]
They were wearing helmets and had attended the courses. Even if the motorcycle rider is perfectly cautious, there are other drivers on the road, and those helmets do not protect that much. You are basically on a small piece of metal capable of reaching high speeds and nothing to stop you or absorb the blow but the riders body if something were to happen.

July 6th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
They were wearing helmets and had attended the courses. Even if the motorcycle rider is perfectly cautious, there are other drivers on the road, and those helmets do not protect that much. You are basically on a small piece of metal capable of reaching high speeds and nothing to stop you or absorb the blow but the riders body if something were to happen.[/b]
Well when I'm in my car here in Calgary (it's a small car) I would likely be killed if I got in an accident becuase the traffic here is either transfer trucks, large pick-up and SUVs (it's a city based on the oil industry)and on a lot of roads people travel at highway speeds. Doesn't mean I won't drive my car! (which is essientially a small peice of metal incapable of absorbing the impact caused by a much large vehicle).

Now as someone who rides a bike I CANNOT IMAGINE not wearing helmet. It is the law in Canada. Just like a seatbelt. I don't wear shorts either, and if we're riding somewhere with higher speeds (i.e, not through the downtown or inner city) I wear the whole gear.

Of course I still refer to them as donorcycles sometimes (bad habit learned from EMS cousins). Many people drive their bikes dangerously and end up in accidents. (driving in poor condtions, too fast, no gear, driving at night with sufficient lights, etc)
July 6th, 2006, 10:17 PM
irishxrose

Last edited by irishxrose; January 5th, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
July 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM
mrobinson
I think I should have been clearer.. Lots of people just wear minimal head protection. A full face helmet is the difference between a broken jaw or not. (I have one!)
July 7th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Quote:
They were wearing helmets and had attended the courses. Even if the motorcycle rider is perfectly cautious, there are other drivers on the road, and those helmets do not protect that much. You are basically on a small piece of metal capable of reaching high speeds and nothing to stop you or absorb the blow but the riders body if something were to happen.[/b]
Well when I'm in my car here in Calgary (it's a small car) I would likely be killed if I got in an accident becuase the traffic here is either transfer trucks, large pick-up and SUVs (it's a city based on the oil industry)and on a lot of roads people travel at highway speeds. Doesn't mean I won't drive my car! (which is essientially a small peice of metal incapable of absorbing the impact caused by a much large vehicle).

Now as someone who rides a bike I CANNOT IMAGINE not wearing helmet. It is the law in Canada. Just like a seatbelt. I don't wear shorts either, and if we're riding somewhere with higher speeds (i.e, not through the downtown or inner city) I wear the whole gear.

Of course I still refer to them as donorcycles sometimes (bad habit learned from EMS cousins). Many people drive their bikes dangerously and end up in accidents. (driving in poor condtions, too fast, no gear, driving at night with sufficient lights, etc)
[/b]
Sorry, but you are still far more protected than riding around at 50-100 mph on a 100lb piece of metal between your legs.
Would you let your child tie their bycicle to the back of a truck and ride through traffic, it is no different to me.

July 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My friend'ss husband got a one and she nicknamed it "The Widow Maker". He had it for about 3 years and then sold it because he couldn't find the time to ride it anymore.

I think there's risk in everything we do but if live in fear than we fail to live. Just my 2 cents.
July 7th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
My friend'ss husband got a one and she nicknamed it "The Widow Maker". He had it for about 3 years and then sold it because he couldn't find the time to ride it anymore.

I think there's risk in everything we do but if live in fear than we fail to live. Just my 2 cents.[/b]
*gasp* ooooh good quote
July 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Quote:

I think there's risk in everything we do but if live in fear than we fail to live. Just my 2 cents.[/b]
Yes, risk in involved in life, but I refuse to see the logic in participating in something that is all risk and no necessity. There is no necessity in motorcycles, people own them and ride them because they are "fun", they are also very dangerous. There is no necessity to flinging yourself off of a cliff with a piece of material to prevent your body from plummeting into the earth, I fail to find the necessity of jumping off a building with a giant rubber band strapped to my ankle. These are all "fun" things people do, they are risky and that seems to be the reason poeple attempt them.
Motorcycles fall into this same category to me. Again, would you tie a bycycle to the back of a car or truck and ride it through traffic at high speeds with your loved one on the seat? Motorcycles offer NO protection in the event of an accident (yes, a helmet...so they will be able to identify your loved ones head after the accident). My mother is an ICU nurse, and aside from my personal experience with friends in MC accidents, I hear enough stories from my mother.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search