Navel Piercings at 12?!

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was recently appalled to learn a friend of my DD's has her navel pierced at 12 years old. I was further appalled when I learned her own mother took her underground to get it done since no respectable piercing place will not pierce a child until they are at least 14 or 16 (18 for genitals).

WDYT?

Oh and I wanted to clarify too I have tattoos and multiple body piercings (9). So in no way am I against piercings in general. I just think 12 is WAY too young for a navel piercing.

July 6th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Super Mommy
Wow... I have mine done because I liked showing off my tummy (when I WASN'T pregnant lol) in a bikini or to my dh. I thought it was "sexy" lol. But I am also an adult. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO would a 12 year old be showing that off to?? I think that is INCREDIBLY way too young. I got mine as an engagement present from my dh's sister.
July 6th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree that 12 is definitely too young of an age for piercings other then ears. My mom let me get my belly button pierced when I was a sophomore in high school (16). I just thought it was "cool" because everyone else my age was getting them done. I also have other piercings now and a tattoo but I was 18 before I got those done. IMO, if a tattoo/piercing parlor feels that 12 is too young that should be a red flag right there. And going underground places is a big no-no. JMO.
Amanda
July 6th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Yes she shows it off in belly shirts and stuff. That is how I realized it. When my DD told me about it, I thought it might be one of those magnets but nope it's real.

July 6th, 2006, 06:25 PM
chlodoll
16 is the legal age for piercings here so she can wait till then. I know all my friends got it done before then though. Most places dont card for piercings, only tattoo's.
July 6th, 2006, 07:43 PM
duality's Avatar Miss Mama
I had my navel pierced at 12 - I should have waited. I had it pierced by a professional in his own home and I took proper care of it, but because I obviously grew after having it done, it doesn't look so great and will need to be re-done.

Having BTDT myself, I don't think 12 year olds should be getting their navels pierced, and I DEFINITELY don't think they need to be showing it off with belly shirts.

July 6th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Super Mommy
My daughter wouldn't be wearing belly shirts in the first place. My goodness... LOL!
July 6th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have both navel piercing and tattoo but I got both of mine around 30 ....

I'm a fuddyduddy and if I see a piercing on my lil 13 year old kiddo .... I will soooooooooooooooooooo make her take it out until she gets old cause as someone else mentioned ... the body is still developing.

There's lots of time to be grown up when she is grown up ... why rush it?

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
July 6th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Quote:
I have both navel piercing and tattoo but I got both of mine around 30 ....

I'm a fuddyduddy and if I see a piercing on my lil 13 year old kiddo .... I will soooooooooooooooooooo make her take it out until she gets old cause as someone else mentioned ... the body is still developing.

There's lots of time to be grown up when she is grown up ... why rush it?

xxx Lisa xxx[/b]

I got mine first when I was 21, took it out when I was pregoo with CJ & just had it redone this last April. But I am an adult.
I guess what this mom does is she spoils her daughter and lets her get whatever she wants. Same thing with the son in this family, who felt it was his right to steal my son's skateboard and my DH had to chase him down the road to get it back. No doscipline for these kids from their parents.

July 7th, 2006, 07:33 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
her own mother took her underground to get it done since no respectable piercing place will not pierce a child until they are at least 14 or 16 (18 for genitals).[/b]
Underground?

What was she thinking?

Quote:
No discipline for these kids from their parents.[/b]
You know I totally get why you're not impressed with the parenting of these kids..
BUT,
I totally understand getting a piercing at 12. To me this is like make-up. Girls want them and you can take them out but I would only allow a real piercing place to do it. If she thinks she is responsible enough to take care of it, and follows some rules we have about it, like no belly shirts at school, then why not? It's just teaching her responsiblity. My body matured at 10 and I was done growing by 12. I was babysitting at 10 because people thought I was responsible enough and I wanted to. I can't imagine, if my daughter is mature enough, saying no based on her age..
July 7th, 2006, 08:48 AM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say no way. Ears are one thing, but a navel ring at 12? Around here you have to be 18 to get anything besides your ears peirced unless you have a parent with you. I had my navel peirced on my 18th birthday. I just wanna know who she feels she needs to show this to? Belly shirts? I think not! My darling daughter would be in SOOO much trouble if I caught her in a belly shirt with a navel ring! My dad took me on my 17th birthday to get my first tattoo and then after I graduate high school I went and got my other tattoo on my own. My mom refused to take me to get my navel peirced until I could do it on my own. She loved it after I had it done and even bought me a ring that matched my prom dress since the material on the stomach was sheer. But, she said that until I turned 18 and could go somewhere myself to have it done, that I could not do it. I think this is just plain silly. 12! To each their own I guess, but not in my house! LOL

casey

July 7th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
NOPE! Not in my house

I'm not against piercings, I have a few piercings and tatts, I had my navel done at 18, but I'd never let my 12 year old daughter have it done. It kind of has a sexual conotation to it, a 12yo has no need to be sexual.

</div>
July 7th, 2006, 11:18 AM
mrobinson
I guess I just don't see it as sexual.
July 7th, 2006, 11:22 AM
No Michelle, you may not see it that way.........but what about the teenage boys that see EVERYTHING as sexual? You dont think that them looking at a 12 year old girl's stomach and seeing a shiny dangling ring wouldnt make them see her as a little more then just a 12 year old LITTLE GIRL?? I think that in certain situations, no they dont seem sexual....but I really think that the majority of girls/women who get them, get them to feel more "sexy" or attractive and that helps. I know when I got mine, I wanted to show to everyone, and the type of shirts that show it off aren't exactly modest. LOL.

July 7th, 2006, 11:27 AM
mrobinson
This is why everything is so darn sexual.. I plan on raising my kids very differently I guess.

Quote:
but what about the teenage boys that see EVERYTHING as sexual?[/b]
It's called self-control..
July 7th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Tell that to a 14, 15, 16 year old boy. LOL. I know we can teach our kids self-control, I understand that. But we cant teach other people's kids self-control! We can show our children that everything is not of a sexual nature, but we cant raise other peoples children that way. The only thing I can do is raise my children how I see fit and try to protect them---the same thing you will do. And I feel that not letting my 12 year old daughter get her bellybutton peirced and walk around in half shirts is protecting her from unnecisary harm that may come because someone's parents didnt teach them self-control.

Does that make sense? LOL

July 7th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I have my tongue pierced and my naval pierced as well as a tatoo. DH (he has 3 tatoos) and I have talked about all this and the teenage what-ifs.
If, and when, DD comes to me and says that she wants her belly button pierced I would be willing to allow it after she turned 16. I don't see it as "sexual" at all, these days I don't think it is much different than having the ears pierced. It is a fashionable decoration, girls want to highlight their hair, have a tan, wear earrings, dress trendy and pierce their belly buttons. I had mine done when I was 19, my sis had hers done at 17 (I took her), it does not make a person "trashy" or "skanky". If DD wants one, then I would much rather be able to take her to a reputable salon and supervise the process to see that it is sanitary and that she is given proper instruction on care and cleaning.

ETA- 12 yrs old is way too young, not because of sexuality, just because I don't feel they are old enough to weigh the pros and cons of a decision.

July 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I 100% agree with Stacey. I am not against my DD getting body piercings. In fact, DH & I have discussed it & MAYBE when she turns 16-17 I might take her to get her tongue or eyebrow, nose or navel (all of which I have pierced, plus my ears and a couple of other piercings). But NO nipples or genital piercings until she is old enough to go by herself. But for me to take her to get something pierced before the age of 18, these things must apply:
*going to school and getting decent grades
*not doing drugs or drinking
*not running around all over the place
and other things will also apply. These are just the things at the top of my head right now.

But my main point of posting this is because I do not feel at 12 years old, a child is ready to get something like that pierced for many of the obvious reasons: her body is still growing, she does dress in belly shirts and where the boys will see her as a sex object, risk of infection, etc.
Yes I know girls at 12 want to grow up real quickly but they need not be in such a hurry. They will regret it later when they are older.

July 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM
kadydid
Quote:
Quote:
her own mother took her underground to get it done since no respectable piercing place will not pierce a child until they are at least 14 or 16 (18 for genitals).[/b]
Underground?

What was she thinking?

Quote:
No discipline for these kids from their parents.[/b]
You know I totally get why you're not impressed with the parenting of these kids..
BUT,
I totally understand getting a piercing at 12. To me this is like make-up. Girls want them and you can take them out but I would only allow a real piercing place to do it. If she thinks she is responsible enough to take care of it, and follows some rules we have about it, like no belly shirts at school, then why not? It's just teaching her responsiblity. My body matured at 10 and I was done growing by 12. I was babysitting at 10 because people thought I was responsible enough and I wanted to. I can't imagine, if my daughter is mature enough, saying no based on her age..
[/b]
ITA I don't see it as sexual either. I don't have any girls, but if I did I would let her get it done if she were responsible enough to take care of it.
July 7th, 2006, 02:36 PM
whitlovesoak's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
i did mine myself when i was thirteen and then again at 15. i so regret it i had the peircing kit and sterilyzer and it looked like it was a professional job. i just didn't take care of it or was as careful with it as i should have been. it ended up ripping and now there is only a tiny bit of skin there but since i had it so long it never healed. i want to get it done again but it would look funny now with the way it is. i don't think that an 12 year old girl would be responsible enough to have a navel peircing. why would she need one anyways? my daughter isn't wearing belly shirts anyways. so until i feel she is old enough to even be able to show it off i see no point in having it. i think atleast 16 or 17. dh and i have talked about peircings and things. we decided that pretty much anywhere on the ears is ok with us, the rest will wait till about 17 or when they can do it on their own. i have 5 peircings (six holes if you count my navel) and two tattoos. i love them but i realized if i would have gotten my tattoos before i was old enough to fully understand and comprehend they really will be on your body forever. i think i spent about a year and a couple months deciding what i wanted for the tattoo i just got on monday. i just think they should have some sort of meaning. i mean my first one i got right after i was eighteen and it turned out crappy. ya i have had it touched up but i was disappointed with it for a long time. i kinda got off the subject. well i guess my opinion is no i wouldn't let my daughter get her navel done at 12. that is too young.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search