Peircing an infants ears...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What do you guys think about peircing baby's ears when she is an infant? Do you think it is wrong? Personally, I plan on peircing my daughters ears when she is a baby. Why? Because I think it is pretty, and I have little diamond studs that I wore as baby that I would like her to wear as well, she's my child, and I don't see what the big issue is ((ducks thrown tomatoes )) I will have her pediatrician do it, and make sure that everything is sterile and that the piercings are taken care of and do not get infected.

So, wdyt??
July 7th, 2006, 11:50 AM
mrobinson
NO because she get to choose it. I had a wonderful experience of it being a step forward into "big girl" status and I'd like that for my girl(s) too.
July 7th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My mother had my ears pierced at birth and I really wish she hadn't. I don't like wearing earrings (and never have as far abck as I can remember) and it really annoys me that so many people (esp in the family) buy me earrings and constantly ask me why I don't wear them, despite my constant explainations. My holes never closed, jsut grew with my ears, so they are very visible.

I think it's my daughter's choice. If she wants earrings, she can have them. But, at birth, she can't convey her sentiments on the subject, so I will wait until she can (and when she can fully understand the decision).
July 7th, 2006, 12:05 PM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom had my ears peirced at 6 months old and I still wear earings. I added more holes later in life, but I was never upset that she did it. I will get my daughter's ears peirced when she is very young also. Well, assuming DH and I agree on it. I wouldnt just go out and not tell him about it and do it, so, whatever we decide together will be what we do. But, yes, I would do it.

casey

July 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't have a daughter but I wouldn't personally. I'd like it to be her choice, not mine.[/b]

July 7th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't because of the pain factor. If you have a toddler or small child and they want their ears peirced than you can tell them that it's going to hurt. They might cry but they know what's going on. A baby just knows it hurts but doesn't understand why. It doesn't matter that they "won't remember".
July 7th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I wouldn't because of the pain factor. If you have a toddler or small child and they want their ears peirced than you can tell them that it's going to hurt. They might cry but they know what's going on. A baby just knows it hurts but doesn't understand why. It doesn't matter that they "won't remember".[/b]
Honestly, it only hurts for a split second and then it's over with. You could say the same thing about shots, I don't think they get traumatized from it. I think it can be much scarier for a toddler...my sister, for example, has always wanted her ears peirced. My mom didn't peirce hers as a baby for some reason, and she's deathly afraid of needles now and wont get it done-she has to wear clip on earrings. She wishes she had it done when she was a baby. I think, if they get older and they don't want to wear earrings, they don't have to-the holes are so small you can barely notice anyways.
July 7th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think, if they get older and they don't want to wear earrings, they don't have to-the holes are so small you can barely notice anyways.[/b]

Unless you happen to have my skin tone The holes also grow with the ears...at least mine have...
July 7th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Super Mommy
I see all sides of this debate...and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do when Kailey is born. I thought my mom had my sisters peirced as an infant and I was always jealous because she had them and I didn't. I finally got them when I was 7 because I worked up enough courage. Come to find out about 2 wks ago...my sister ASKED to have them done around age 2 1/2 -3...wow. So...I'm not sure. I would love her to have them because they are "cute". But I also want it to be her choice. I just don't want her to want it soooo bad but be so terrified of getting it done (like I was), that she waits and waits and waits....

Hm...I think I'll just wait. Let her decide. (Now that I've battled it out with MYSELF lol!!)
July 7th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think personally it is each parent's decision. My mom had my ears pierced when I was 9 months old and later on I decided I didn't want my ears pierced so I took the earrings out and let the holes close up. IMO, if she doesn't want them later on she can always take them out. We're having a daughter in October, but we really haven't discussed ear piercing yet.
Amanda
July 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
*waits for Cheryl*

I was always against infant ear peircing until I found out I was having a little girl. Now I have plans on getting her ears peirced a few weeks after she is born. I don't see the big deal in it, I see a lot of my friends babies with ear peircings and none of the babies mess with it or anything. I would prefer for her to just think of her peircings as a part of her thats always been there, it makes for less infections. And it's cute!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM
nat81
I'm probably going to turn this into a whole other debate but I wanted to get my DD ears peirced and my fiance said NO! He said he wanted her to decide and that it would be painful...and so on.

He was the one who wanted our baby boy to be circumsized before we knew we were having a girl SO I said "then why couldn't we give our son the choice of being circumsized and THAT would hurt WAY more than ears being peirced!" hahaha

Anyway, my point isn't all that good, I know, but it makes sense in my head ! So I guess if you're all for letting your child decide and don't want them to experience pain then hopefully you agree with keeping your sons "au natural" as well !
July 7th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I'm probably going to turn this into a whole other debate but I wanted to get my DD ears peirced and my fiance said NO! He said he wanted her to decide and that it would be painful...and so on.

He was the one who wanted our baby boy to be circumsized before we knew we were having a girl SO I said "then why couldn't we give our son the choice of being circumsized and THAT would hurt WAY more than ears being peirced!" hahaha

Anyway, my point isn't all that good, I know, but it makes sense in my head ! So I guess if you're all for letting your child decide and don't want them to experience pain then hopefully you agree with keeping your sons "au natural" as well ![/b]
Makes sense to me! Your body, your choice!
July 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:

Anyway, my point isn't all that good, I know, but it makes sense in my head ! So I guess if you're all for letting your child decide and don't want them to experience pain then hopefully you agree with keeping your sons "au natural" as well ![/b]
Heh...this popped into my head too..but I was afraid it would interfer with the thread and take it OT.
July 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm fixing to have a little girl in a few weeks and I plan on having her ears pieced when she's a couple months. I agree it just depends on the parent. I think little babies with their ears pierced are adorable and I agree the pain is only for a second.

Of course its something I would discuss with my Dr. and make sure he thinks its ok but long as he gives me the 'go ahead' then I'll do it. And I'm sure my husband wouldn't mind. He's extremely easy going on things I want.
July 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Well maybe for some it might hurt for "only a second" but for some it might hurt more! I got my done in my twenties and it hurt MORE than my labret peircing. It's not like a shot, its a bigger needle and it goes right through.

Besides I would not let the Dr give my baby unecessary shots because that's unecessary pain (let's ignore the vaccination debate for now ) Earrings serve no medical purpose.
July 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think its up to the parents to decide. Who am I to say what you shoud or shouldn't do? I had mine peirced at about 11 I think. Well, I can't wear earrings now because one of my holes ripped. I don't think that would be different if I was a baby when they were peirced to begin with.

July 7th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally posted by Surprise Mama
Well maybe for some it might hurt for "only a second" but for some it might hurt more! I got my done in my twenties and it hurt MORE than my labret peircing. It's not like a shot, its a bigger needle and it goes right through.

Besides I would not let the Dr give my baby unecessary shots because that's unecessary pain (let's ignore the vaccination debate for now ) Earrings serve no medical purpose.

I agree that there is no medical purpose Its completely a personal choice which goes back to the 'it depends on the parent thing.' And I understand that it may of been more painful to you when you got yours done but maybe you just don't take pain very well. When I had both of my holes done in my ears I didn't flench at all. Everyone is different. I think its one of those things that boil down to 'its a parents decision' I"m sure there are things you might do with your child that I'd disapprove of and things I'd do with mine that you would. Normal thing in life. Everyone can't always agree.

But I plan on having my baby girl's ears pierced period.

Also its none of my business but being that you're 11 weeks pregnant aren't you due in 2007? Your signature says January 26, 2006?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search