Throwing trash out of the car--why do people do this??

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
This weekend, DH and our little DD went down by the highway in front of our house (in 90+ degree heat) and picked up 5 large garbage bags full of trash that people had thrown out in the past month. While they were actually standing there, still picking up trash, some of our neighbors pulled up in their car and threw out some more trash, and drove off. WTH??? I suggested that DH take the 5 bags of trash he had gathered up and dump them in the neighbor's yard, but he's a lot nicer than me and didn't do it. Also, you wouldn't have been able to tell anyway because their yard is so trashed already. And yesterday someone backed up near the end of our driveway and threw out a refrigerator-sized metal toolbox and some furniture, among other assorted garbage.

Why do people do this--can anyone tell me? We have regular trash pick-up in our county, is it really easier to load up your trash and take it somewhere else and leave it? Why do people feel the need to trash their own "neighborhood?"

July 7th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A lot of people don't care about anything outside of their own little bubble. Apparently if they want to throw cigarette butts or whole bags of garbage from their bubble they can because, as long as it doesn't affect THEM, who cares?
July 7th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Super Mommy
Because they are lazy bums? I can't stand it either!!!!! When I have all my windows down and something flys out I feel sooooooooooooooo bad. I NEVER throw things out the window unless it's a french fry here or there.... In that case...it's for the birdies Oh, and bread.
July 7th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It's illegal there too right? If I saw someone do that I would write down their liscence plate number and call the cops. It's a big fine!

What I want to know is where are you going that they have no trash cans???????
July 7th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If we could catch the ones the ones that are leaving the big things, we will report them--they usually leave things at night so we just get a big surprise when we leave to go somewhere. It's hard to believe the kinds of things people have thrown out. We live on a side highway off a really big highway, and I think that people just pull in and throw stuff out because they think no one lives here so why not. We live way back off the road, and it's not actually on our property, but we have to drive by and look at rotting animal carcasses of all sizes and species (and living pets too-one of which I picked up and took to the shelter), old appliances and furniture, household garbage and bags that I don't even want to think about what's in them. The county comes by every few weeks and picks the really big things up, but the small garbage gets left. I don't think they'll do anything to the neighbors even if we reported them because they only threw out a relatively small amount and they were sitting at the end of the driveway where it joins the main road and it's considered "private property," even though no one really owns or maintains it.

July 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't agree with it either just someone dumping trash but in our area we have unlimited trash pick-up. But where my IL's live (diff city, same county), they do not have unlimited pick-up. They get to throw away 2 cans of garbage and anything after that, they use these bright orange tags to staple on the extra bags. They buy the tags through the city. When Xmas time rolls around, we have take the bags with the wrapping paper back over to my house for our garbagemen to pick up here since we have unlimited pick-up and they don't. It's the least we can do for them. About 2-3 times a year they have unlimited days where they can throw out all they want for free.
Just thought I would let you know why maybe people do this. Do I agree with it? No. But in some areas trash removal service isn't free and the people think it is a good idea to take their trash and dump it in someone else's yard. I can see where this is frustrating.

July 7th, 2006, 02:27 PM
kadydid
Quote:
This weekend, DH and our little DD went down by the highway in front of our house (in 90+ degree heat) and picked up 5 large garbage bags full of trash that people had thrown out in the past month. While they were actually standing there, still picking up trash, some of our neighbors pulled up in their car and threw out some more trash, and drove off. WTH??? I suggested that DH take the 5 bags of trash he had gathered up and dump them in the neighbor's yard, but he's a lot nicer than me and didn't do it. Also, you wouldn't have been able to tell anyway because their yard is so trashed already. And yesterday someone backed up near the end of our driveway and threw out a refrigerator-sized metal toolbox and some furniture, among other assorted garbage.

Why do people do this--can anyone tell me? We have regular trash pick-up in our county, is it really easier to load up your trash and take it somewhere else and leave it? Why do people feel the need to trash their own "neighborhood?"[/b]
OMG I would be livid if I were you. I liked your idea about dumping it back in their yard! Makes me glad for once that my neighborhood has a home owners association! I would seriously consider calling the police with their plates.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search