Banning of certain breeds of dogs

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hear all the time on the news how cities/counties are trying to ban certain breeds of dogs. Namely the pitt bull. I just want to know what everyone thinks of this.

My opinion is this...NO. I have a pittbull/boxer mix who is protective of his family...but not in the least bit aggressive. Plus he's an "inside" dog.

While I know that usually the news stories you hear will be about a pittbull biting someone, but don't poodles bite too? What about German Shepards? But the ban seems limited to pittbulls.

In my state, if someone is an owner prior to the ban, they can keep their dog with special licensing.

so...what do you think....for or against?

July 7th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Super Mommy
Against. My sister has a half pit half chocolat lab...he is the SWEETEST thing ever. He thinks he can climb up in your lab and fall asleep like a baby. He is SUCH a scaredy cat....

There are plenty of dogs out there of all breeds that are agressive. I don't see why it's centered on pit bulls....should we all just reserve a state and throw all the pit bulls there since they are such a problem to society??

I believe if taken care of properly, then the dog won't be agressive.
July 7th, 2006, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Here is a good study on this subject demonstrating that it's not just pitts and rots that bite and kill:

fatal dog bite study

Better breeding control, enforced dog laws (ie, leash), and maybe safety programs in school could really help this problem. Ya know how they do the "dont talk to strangers" or the "bus safety" kind of stuff in school...I don't see why "dog safety" can't be something talked about or presented. Those kids are usually the victims; in addition, they are also the future owners.
July 7th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
There are plenty of dogs out there of all breeds that are agressive. I don't see why it's centered on pit bulls....should we all just reserve a state and throw all the pit bulls there since they are such a problem to society??[/b]

It's because so many irresponsible dog owners have dogs like pitbulls and german shepherds. Think about it. The idiot who wants to leave his dog outside, encourages it chase cats and other small animals, teases it meanly. They don't get a fru fru dog, they get a "tough" dog.

Same reason a lot of small dogs are thought of as yappy. It's because the majority of owners baby them, spoil them.

So certain breeds get bad names and get banned. When really its certain dog owners that should get banned!
July 7th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Quote:
There are plenty of dogs out there of all breeds that are agressive. I don't see why it's centered on pit bulls....should we all just reserve a state and throw all the pit bulls there since they are such a problem to society??[/b]

It's because so many irresponsible dog owners have dogs like pitbulls and german shepherds. Think about it. The idiot who wants to leave his dog outside, encourages it chase cats and other small animals, teases it meanly. They don't get a fru fru dog, they get a "tough" dog.

Same reason a lot of small dogs are thought of as yappy. It's because the majority of owners baby them, spoil them.

So certain breeds get bad names and get banned. When really its certain dog owners that should get banned!
[/b]
Yea...that's why in my original post I said "If taken care of properly, they won't be agressive"
July 7th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Now while my pittbull is inside a majority of the time, he is occasionally outside. So, should I have to have him leashed even though I have a fence to keep him in? My feeling is that there are very responsible dog owners and very irresponsible dog owners. I can train any kind of dog to be mean. And what about the parent that doesn't teach their child to be wary of ALL dogs...becuase you just never know what they'll do? If someone comes into MY yard, and my dog bites them...oh well...guess you shouldn't have been in my yard huh?

July 7th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't blame the breed, I say.

I believe certain breeds are predisposed to certain characteristics - after all, they are classified as working, non-working, herding, etc... before dogs were companions, they had jobs to do...

Anyhoo, they aren't born bad. Its irresponsible OWNERS who are to blame for the actions of rogue dogs. Dogs require time and energy. They need exercise and affection. It's a responsibility, not a hobby.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 7th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I would vote NO to breed legislation, "punish the deed, not the breed".
There SHOULD be stricter legislation on breeders, they are partly to blame for these breeds maintaining their bad reputations, because they are not being bred for temperament, only for money. Too many irresponsible pet owners are wanting a "tough dog" and they track down the first backyard breeder or puppy mill and end up with a dog with poor conformation and unacceptable temperament, and then make it worse because they are ignorant on how to properly train and socialize these animals. Many people who own breeds such as pit bulls are seeking an aggressive dog, whether it be to fight the dog, or the belief that it will become a guard dog.
The truth is that the Pit Bull is a wonderful family dog, with a loving temperament WHEN bred and trained properly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEhak-Y0_bY

July 7th, 2006, 02:50 PM
mrobinson
I'm against it.. I'd rather see the irresponsible owner be put down.
July 7th, 2006, 05:10 PM
This is my Great Dane Tonka, he is not eating my face...he is giving me a hug! (and yes, those are gauchos! )

http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblog/2...0_most_dan.html

Quote:
Top Ten Most Dangerous Breeds

10. Criminal Dog Owners - They vary in size, shape, color and creed. Whether urban or rural, they thrive in environments where crime does pay.

This breed may deliberately train dogs to be human aggressive. This breed has been known to shoot dogs for fun it. They fight dogs and use sweet tempered dogs as bait. Here in the New York area - they've been known to feed dogs ground up glass and gun power to toughen them up - you know-In case the police kick the front door - they're out the back - and the dogs are in between.

9. Irresponsible and Ignorant Dog Owners

Characterized by a complete lack of common sense and or manners, these dog owners come in three distinct varieties - Dumb, Dumber and Plain Stupid.

However they do share the same breed traits, like

Complete disregard for local leash or pooper scooper laws
Stubborn, self-centered rudeness
The inability to see the potential consequences for their behavior
So here are the three types if I & I's:

Dumb- When Snowball whines to go out, they throw open the front door and let her out to wander the neighborhood. Snowball is free to poop and pee wherever she likes. And if Snowball should wander into my yard and my dog defends its territory, like many dogs .......we've got a problem.
Dumber - Easy to recognize, this genius nonchalantly walks their dog off leash in the neighborhood, like it's no big deal. WEll in my book - it is a big deal. How would you like it if I let my dog run up to your children off leash. Or run up to any person who may be afraid of dogs. (and BTW - I support off leash space - just not on the block). And it's not OK if your dog takes a dump in my flowerbed, got that?
Plain Stupid- Waaaaay short on common sense - they let their children play unattended with dogs, or let them run up to pet a stranger's dog or get in a strange dog's face.
8. Negligent or Abusive Dog Owners

Like sociopaths who lack basic the human trait of compassion - this all-too-common breed is well known for a lack of care or concern. They are, however, gifted and talented in the areas of neglect or cruelty.

These G & Ts routinely fail to give their animals even the basics of food, water or shelter or fail to provide vet care. David Owens, an employee of Child Services in New York, has been accused of leaving his dying Akita out in the cold for weeks.

Even beating the dog is OK for these people- it's only a dog. Even if it's not their dog! Kick it if it gets in your way, wants food or attention. OK - so cruel and unusual punishment is against law, so giving them the same treatment is out. Too bad.

6. Ignorant Shelter Workers & Rescuers

We give shelter and rescue workers big snaps for the great job they do on a daily basis. That said - they are some bad apples in this bunch. Who? These people are marked by their staggering ignorance, leaving the rest of the dog world stammering in surprise.

Statements from these so-called "professionals" include, "We don't adopt out Pitbulls - they have locking jaws", and "We don't adopt out Rotties or Dobermans - they're aggressive". Better yet, they hide a dog's health or behavioral history, thinking that all dogs can be saved, from adopters who may be in for a big surprise. Someone needs to teach this breed a lesson - and quick.

5. Ignorant Dog Fanciers

Nose and tail always in the air with, "Breed restrictions don't really apply to me - I own a PUREBRED dog". Oh, really ? Maybe you'd like to share you magical powers with the rest of us....or better yet ............

4. Arrogant Dog Fanciers

Not only are nose and tail always in the air, but his type will even dis their fellow dog fanciers with, "it's not my breed". Ain't that special? Now bend over ...........this won't hurt a bit....

Numbers 4 and 5 do a diservice to the many hardworking, ethical home breeders who care deeply about their dogs and the welfare of dogs in general.

3. Irresponsible News Media

They attack -unprovoked, when you least expect it. Out of the blue, and really just when those ratings are starting to take a dive. That's just the perfect time to lead with a dog story. These media outlets target large working breeds, they thrive on fear. And they are yellow to the core.

Yeah - I'm talking to you, Kathryn McIntyre of the Commerce City Journal for your lack of editorial integrity for publishing the street addresses of pitbull owners. Sex offenders have more privacy rights than dog owners.
And yeah - I'm talking to you all you local metro broadcast news outlets, like CBS Channel 2 News in New York that that invariably portray "dangerous" dogs as Pitbulls or Rottweilers. In journalism - we don't automatically portray stories of rapes with images of black or Hispanic men. Nor should we visually support dangerous dog news stories with pictures of Pitbulls and Rottweilers, by default - like the one shown here from the CBS News site:
And yeah, I'm talking to you, for any print or web media that shows that same doctored photo of a snarling pitbull with digitally elongated teeth.
This ain't news - it's titillating info-tainment designed to spike fear, ad circ, and ratings at the same time.

It's time to run these out-of-control puppies back thru the basics - you know, fair and balanced reporting, media ethics - all that stuff they swore by in journalism school.

2. Greedy Insurers

These insurers aren't dogs - they're pigs. And who's to stop them when...........

they can chow down of easy profits on the backs of good dog owners by denying, limiting or eliminating coverage of dog owners in 37 states?
they stuff so much of their piggy bank bucks into the pockets of politicians?
Then politicians, hoggin' up all that campaign dough , do the bidding of the insurance sector, blocking bills that would make it illegal for insurers to discriminate against good dogs and good dog owners.

There's a saying - pigs get fat, but hogs get slaughtered. I'd like to invite you all to a barbeque :-)

1. Opportunistic Politicians

These dogs will whine - they beg - they'll do anything for attention - and money - especially from those fat cats in the insurance lobby who ensure obedience with juicy campaign donations. These politicians breed fear, thrive on ignorance and count on apathy. Prime examples are :

Michael Bryant - Ontario's infamous "Puppykiller" for the province's sick and twisted breed ban. One must "prove" that a dog isn't a pitbull and the law requires all pitbull type puppies be shipped out of the province, sent to reseach facilities or euthanized.

Jackie Speier of California, AKA "The Breed Exterminator" , and notable author of SB 861, which is having a chilling effect on dog ownership in California

Paul Wesslehoft of Oklahoma - whose bill to ban certain breeds just went down in flames in the state legislature there.

Molly Markert of Aurora, Colorado's Town Council - that smiling Miss Prim (we hear she smirked to the audience when the breed ban passed) - and noted dog-hater, a leader in passing Aurora's 12 breed dog ban

I've got a message for you - kick these headline grabbing, egg-suckin', political opportunists of ANY political persuasian to the curb in the next local or state elections.

The Most Dangerous Breeds?

I'll tell you the most dangerous breeds - write these down!

#1 All Time Dangerous Breed:

The #1 most dangerous breed are media outlets that deliberately breed fear, spreading myths and lies about dog breeds and canine behavior through irresponsible reporting and reinforcement of undeserved and negative breed stereotypes

What You Can Do About It:

Call up the paper, the TV station or email the website and complain about the biased dog story
Ask for the Editor, Sales Manager and/or Program Director
Tell them you won't read, watch or visit
Tell then you won't patronize their advertisers until they stop their biased coverage
Tell them they have the opportunity to spread knowledge, not fear
Tell them My Dog Votes!
#2 All Time Dangerous Breed:

The #2 most dangerous breeds are the local and state politicians that feed on the fear created by the irresponsible media, and the public's ignorance. They are greedy for the headlines, campaign dough and do the bidding of the private sector instead of truly advocating for the public health, safety and welfare. They pass breed bans , weight or size restrictions, public space bans, and mandatory microchip laws, and other anti-dog legislation limiting the rights of responsible tax-paying citizens rather than deal with their criminal and social problems.

What You Can Do About It:

Call or write the offending local of state elected official and complain about the breed ban or other anti-dog legislation
Tell them you want the ban overturned in favor of breed-neutral legislation
Tell them you want any other anti-dog legislation stopped or overturned
Tell them you will vote them out in the next election
Tell them you will vote out any politician that supported the ban
Tell them you will rally every dog owner in town against them
Tell them they have the opportunity to educate instead of legislate
Tell them My Dog Votes!

#3 All Time Dangerous Breed:

The #3 most dangerous breeds are the apathetic dog owners who say nothing, or do nothing because they think they cannot affect change, or fight the sytem, or it doesn't affect them directly. Or maybe they just don't care - or won't care - that is - until they come for their dog.[/b]

July 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
GirLStaR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am totally against it. I had an 98lb pitbull and the worst he ever did to anyone was lick them too much! I love pits and nothing the media says will ever change my mind. The idiots that use them for dog fights, etc should be thrown in jail for a long long time.

Click here so you can see how pits really are http://pitbulls.iwarp.com/photo.html
July 7th, 2006, 07:22 PM
mommywannabe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am completely against it! My whole family is an "animal" family, we all love dogs and mainly big ones. I have been raised around great danes, mastiffs, sheepdogs, and muts. (Stacy, your dog is beautiful by the way! He looks just like my first ever dane only she was a female so just a bit smaller) Anyway, it has nothing to do with the breed. It is the OWNERS responsibility to train and take care of the dog. I have 2 miniature schnauzers and though they are not "known" to be aggresive breeds, they were both rescued as adults and one can become aggresive if she feels like someone besides her "mommy and daddy" are too close to her house or yard. She has never bitten anyone and I dont think she ever would unless she felt like she was in danger. But, it is all about how she was raised. You cant lock a dog up in a kennel with no human socialization and constantly have her pop out puppies for 4 years and then expect her to be people friendly and housetrained. It just doesnt work that way. Dogs have to be TAUGHT to obey and be housetrained and be socialized just like they have to be TAUGHT to be mean and uncontrollable and aggresive.

Ugh, people just make me so mad sometimes. This is one topic that I just get worked up about.

casey

July 7th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Stacey I just LOVE your dog!!!!!

On the topic though, I have a rotti (1 year old and 125lbs), and honestly as sad to say haha hes not very protective over us, he loooooves everyone that walks in the door regardless of how they act. Hes such a wimp. He looks scary but I know if someone broke in, he'd try and hug them.

Also I do homedaycare for the military and I am a licensed daycare under the ministry and hes around these kids all day! When we have clients come in, we introduce them to him and they are usually ok with him. The kids pull on him, throw things, steal his food and he just loves playing with them. Sometimes I do have to keep him in a seperate room for the babies who are beginning to walk because he easily knocks them over!

We also had animal control come in and test him for food agression, behavior etc etc and he passed with flying colors. Its all in the owner.

July 7th, 2006, 10:25 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Amber, this was a great idea for a topic.

I'm so glad to see everyone who has posted so far is against breed banning. And I know it's anecdotal evidence, but I will also go on record saying that I know a family who has raised several pit bulls and those dogs are sweet, wonderful, and even-tempered animals.

Kind of off-topic, but I read an article in a major dog magazine a couple of years ago that said pit bulls aren't an official breed, but rather a collection of breeds with similar characteristics. Am I remembering this information correctly?

~Nay
July 8th, 2006, 03:21 AM
First, Tonka thanks you all for the compliments! He is a giant baby!

These are listed as the top 10 most dangerous dogs:
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html
Quote:
Pit bulls
Rottweilers
German Shepherds
Huskies
Alaskan Malamutes
Doberman Pinschers
Chow Chows
Great Danes (I can't imagine Tonka hurting anyone, not even an attacker, unless I was being attacked by a giant stuffed animal!)
St. Bernards
Akitas[/b]
I am blown away by this list! I read somewhere before that the statistics for dog bites and the dangerous dogs associated are largely inaccurate, because the sources are eyewitnesses who, in many cases, are just guessing as to what type of dog attacked. I can see this being true, as I have had the police come to my door TWICE to discuss my skinny Pit Bull ....yes my 6ft tall 130 lb PIT BULL!!!
The statistics do say that the majority of biting dogs belong to the victim's family or friend, and the bites occur at home or a familiar place.

July 8th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Omg - those are two adorable pictures

Quote:
So certain breeds get bad names and get banned. When really its certain dog owners that should get banned![/b]
DItto

Any dog has the potential to bite. Its not just a certain breed. And it appears that most bitting cases happen due to irresponsible pet ownership.

Braxton, is a Lab/Rottie mix, he's very protective. Every time he hears Hailey cry, or make a noise he's up checking on her [or attempting to!]. Just cuz he's part rottie, doesn't make him the eviliest dog on the planet.
July 8th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I too am happy that everyone so far seems to be on the same page. Nothing gets my blood boiling faster than hearing about "evil" dogs. I swear, every time dh and I hear a teaser on the news "coming up...child bitten by dog", we just know it's gonna be about a pittbull or rottie. Makes us sick. I guess until you actually have one of these dogs...you just don't know how sweet and gentle they can be.

July 8th, 2006, 08:54 AM
koakoba's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a pitt - yes they are a breed, but there are 2 different kinds - American Pitt bull terrior, and Staffordshire terrior. Lots alike, but a few differences. Staffy's come from mastiff's and the American pitt has American bulldog in it's bloodline as well. Did you know it is impossible for a PURE bread pitt to have blue eyes?
Now, the reason dogs like pitts show up on "aggresive" lists, is that when they DO bite, it is a lot worse then say a poodle bite. So it gets reported, where as the little yippie dogs don't. It's just like if a dog steps on your foot, no big deal right? But if a horse stepped on your foot, you'd be a screaming (trust me ).
I have had soooo many breeds over the years, all the "popular" family dogs, labs, spaniels etc... Now that I have a pitt, I'll never have another breed. They are so wonderful. So wonderful. Capone is the biggest baby too - aggressive? HA!
I've been called a bad mother already because I will not keep 'pone away from my baby when she comes. ***?? Coming from a guy who owns a german shepherd
The whole issue gets me so worked up. I opened this thread ready to FIGHT about it - then ya all went and said the exact truth, it is the owner, not the dog, no matter what breed it is. K, guess I will save my fighting for breed legislation sharks.
Here is my baby, see, even when we try to make him look a little rough, he ends up looking like he is smiling

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search