Enough of the Breastfeeding threads!

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ok, I know I don't have to read them but I don't think I'm alone in saying the breast feeding vs. formula feeding debates monopolizing the board are getting annoying. Personally, I really don't think it's any of my business how another mom chooses to feed their child and these debates (from what I have read) seem very repetitive, basically the same people making the same points over and over again, not to mention they ALWAYS seem to turn personal and I fail to see how any of it is relevent-Ok, I'll stop. Here's what I'm proposing: Why don't we make a seperate forum for the BF/FF debates? We already have one for circumcision, abortion, and religion, why not a breastfeeding one???
July 7th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
UGH!!
I have said it before and I will say it again, if you are not interested in or do not wish to participate in a particular thread....then DON'T!! It is that easy! There is not a debate rule that you must read and respond to every topic, just pass by it and ignore it if you don't want to participate or have nothing to offer!

July 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
UGH!!
I have said it before and I will say it again, if you are not interested in or do not wish to participate in a particular thread....then DON'T!! It is that easy! There is not a debate rule that you must read and respond to every topic, just pass by it and ignore it if you don't want to participate or have nothing to offer![/b]
UGH yourself!! It's annoying to see the same topic discussed over and over again, I'm not saying you don't have a right to debate it I'm suggesting that we create a seperate forum so that those of us who are sick of seeing this topic don't have to look at it! This way the heated and hot hot topic boards can have a little more variety....KWIM?
July 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You know what? I was going to suggest that halfway reading your post and you beat me to the punch. I agree to making a subforum for breastfeeding/bottlefeeding debates.

July 7th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Super Mommy
I agree to making another forum too.
July 7th, 2006, 04:28 PM
chlodoll
I dont think it would make a good forum. There isnt enough to debate. Maybe a parenting choices forum would cover it but I dont think the point of JM is to bash each other parenting skills.

And I only see 3 breastfeeding topics?? I dont really think that counts as monopolizing.
July 7th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to ad that I also think it would be more condusive to bringing people into the debate boards...the breastfeeding threads often get so heated and so back and forth b/w 2 people, and when people are browsing the boards, they automatically click on the post that is the last topic posted in the forum (which seems to have been the breastfeeding ones all day!) If they keep clicking on this and witnessing these threads, esp with all the ugly personal attacks b/w people, they might vow to stay away from the board thinking that's all we really talk about, when there are sooo many things most people would rather debate. For most people, things like breastfeeding and circumcision are seen as personal choices they make for their children and not something they feel warrents a debate...

Quote:
I dont think it would make a good forum. There isnt enough to debate. Maybe a parenting choices forum would cover it but I dont think the point of JM is to bash each other parenting skills.

And I only see 3 breastfeeding topics?? I dont really think that counts as monopolizing.[/b]
Its not the topic numbers, its the fact that the thread NEVER SEEMS TO DIE and goes on for page after page after page...And the point is not to bash parenting skills, no, but it happens anyways so I actually do think a parenting techniques forum is a good idea! That way the co-sleepers and the breastfeeders and the Cry it out parents and whoever else can duke it out and we can all get back to discussing the important things....like Britney Spears
July 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:

And I only see 3 breastfeeding topics?? I dont really think that counts as monopolizing.[/b]
Well with the circumcision board it's about whether you do or don't do it.
With the abortion board it's about whether you don't did, agree disagree w/e.
It would be the same thing for FF and BFing, so why not?
July 7th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Quote:

Quote:
UGH yourself!! It's annoying to see the same topic discussed over and over again, I'm not saying you don't have a right to debate it I'm suggesting that we create a seperate forum so that those of us who are sick of seeing this topic don't have to look at it! This way the heated and hot hot topic boards can have a little more variety....KWIM?[/b]
First, how do I "UGH myself?"
Don't participate if it does not interest you or if you are sick of seeing it! Maybe we should also create a Britney Spears subforum or a spanking subforum, see my point? There are plenty of topics that don't interest me, I just don't participate and/or don't read them.

July 7th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
UGH yourself!! It's annoying to see the same topic discussed over and over again, I'm not saying you don't have a right to debate it I'm suggesting that we create a seperate forum so that those of us who are sick of seeing this topic don't have to look at it! This way the heated and hot hot topic boards can have a little more variety....KWIM?[/b]
Don't participate if it does not interest you or if you are sick of seeing it! Maybe we should also create a Britney Spears subforum or a spanking subforum, see my point? There are plenty of topics that don't interest me, I just don't participate and/or don't read them.
[/b]
Why exactly are you so opposed to it having its own forum ? If anything it makes the debate seem more valid, only people who are interested in the topic will respond and you wont have to deal with us annoying neutral people posting in your threads anymore!

I thought as a passionate BFer you would be happy to have your own forum....guess I was wrong!
July 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think the threads would bother me so much it's just that they are all the same. Basically it's the BFers vs. the FFers and they all end up the same way and go no where. Yes, I have the choice not to read them, but it's kind of hard to not respond when someone is calling you selfish and a bad parent in so many words. I would agree on having it be a seperate forum altogether.
Amanda
July 7th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
<div class='quotemain'>UGH yourself!! It's annoying to see the same topic discussed over and over again, I'm not saying you don't have a right to debate it I'm suggesting that we create a seperate forum so that those of us who are sick of seeing this topic don't have to look at it! This way the heated and hot hot topic boards can have a little more variety....KWIM?[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Why exactly are you so opposed to it having its own forum ? If anything it makes the debate seem more valid, only people who are interested in the topic will respond and you wont have to deal with us annoying neutral people posting in your threads anymore!

I thought as a passionate BFer you would be happy to have your own forum....guess I was wrong!
[/b][/quote]

OOOOHHH, now that you have challenged my position as a passionate BFer, I MUST have my own forum .
I am not opposed to it, I just see no point in it. There are only 3 debates on the subject right now, so a subforum would be a waste of space. There have been more Britney debates lately than FF v BF and if you look back in the history, there are still very few.
Having its own forum would not make the debate more valid, it is a valid debate if it is in the debate forum.
Again, you are always free to not participate.

July 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chlodoll @ Jul 7 2006, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>

Quote:
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

OOOOHHH, now that you have challenged my position as a passionate BFer, I MUST have my own forum .
I am not opposed to it, I just see no point in it. There are only 3 debates on the subject right now, so a subforum would be a waste of space. There have been more Britney debates lately than FF v BF and if you look back in the history, there are still very few.
Having its own forum would not make the debate more valid, it is a valid debate if it is in the debate forum.
Again, you are always free to not participate.
[/b][/quote]

What on earth are you talking about? I never challenged your position as anything, you are a passionate BFer you have a breastfeeding picture in your signature, you are always one of the top participants in these debates...I don't really understand why you are getting all defensive but whatever...I just don't see why we can't have a parenting styles debate forum, it's a good idea in my opinion...
July 7th, 2006, 04:56 PM
chlodoll
why dont you bring it up with patty and teresa??

i can see why some would think its a good idea but i personally thinks it just puts a bigger divide between us as mother and as women.
July 7th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its a good idea. I see many similarities in the BF debates and the circ debates, and circ has its own forum so why not?

True, there are not too many threads going on the topic now, but having a separate forum could open up many possibilities and sub-topics.

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 7th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
just my two cents but I find the more subforums there are, the less organization there is on the entire board as a whole. I already forget to visit so many boards as it is, and forget even more often to visit the subforums. The bf vs ff feeding debates used to irk me too, but now I find it all kind of interesting and enjoy them. I dont see what difference it makes where they are really, just that I know I personally would forget to go to any subforum and never participate myself.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

July 7th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I dunno...seems to me it would be like creating a "welfare debates" forum or a "illegal immigrants" forum ...both of these topics seem to garner quite a few threads that all say the same thing (the words "popping" and "English" come up a lot )
July 7th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Super Mommy
I don't understand why it's such a big deal to not have one. There is a circumcision board and an abortion board. They have their own forums because they are issues that women are EXTREMELY passionate about. I see BF vs. FF just as passionate.
July 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
chlodoll
There really isnt much to debate about breastfeeding though. Most people agree that breastfeeding is the best choice. I dont really know what could be debated. Abortion is completely different. I also think it has a subforum because some people are sensitive towards it and do not want to even see topics about it.
July 7th, 2006, 10:05 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
There really isnt much to debate about breastfeeding though. Most people agree that breastfeeding is the best choice. I dont really know what could be debated. Abortion is completely different. I also think it has a subforum because some people are sensitive towards it and do not want to even see topics about it.[/b]
.... really? You must have missed the 14 page debate going on in Hot Hot Topics. I see what you mean about the abortion one...so I'll give on that. But circumcising is still there...

I just think that it would keep the board more organized. I like the idea of BF and FF having their own section.

P.S. Things get debated about over and over and over again because there are constantly new studies. Also, there are new members joining here every day right? I want to read their opinions too!! And maybe someone changed their mind from one side to the other and so there is a new voice for whatever side of whatever discussion.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search