Airplanes and being Overweight

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it is wrong to make someone overweight buy an extra ticket, especially if the flight is not booked. Now for a booked flight, the only solution there is to put them on the next available flight to the destination. But I think it would be humiliating to have someone at the ticket counter say I needed to buy an extra ticket because I am too overweight.

July 7th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I am going to be unpopular here, but here goes...
If someone is overweight to the point that they do not completely fit in one seat, then YES they should be required to purchase two. If they are spilling over into another passengers seat and personal space then how is that fair for the offended passenger?
I can imagine it is embarrasing, but I would hope that the discussion would be done discreetly and that no one else would be aware of the request to purchase another seat.

July 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Super Mommy
*ponders for a moment*

I think it's upsetting for the overweight person But if they are going to take up two seats then I see the point there as well. They wouldn't be able to sell another ticket and let someone else sit there. So...I guess what Holly said, about if they aren't booked, then no...but if they are booked then yes.

BUT, how do you know if the flight is booked or not when you buy the ticket?....

*ponders some more*
July 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
I am going to be unpopular here, but here goes...
If someone is overweight to the point that they do not completely fit in one seat, then YES they should be required to purchase two. If they are spilling over into another passengers seat and personal space then how is that fair for the offended passenger?
I can imagine it is embarrasing, but I would hope that the discussion would be done discreetly and that no one else would be aware of the request to purchase another seat.[/b]
ITA

why should i be incomfortable for hours to save someone from being embarassed. if someone isthat obese then they should find this stuff out beforehand.
July 7th, 2006, 04:47 PM
And after posting my above post, I was talking about it with my DH. SOME people can't help being overweight. We have a really good friend who is considered obese due to a severe kidney problem. Her weight fluxuates (sp?) because of this. For someone with a medical condition, should they also have to pay for a second seat?
I do know a majority of them CAN help their weight issues but what about the ones who can't?

July 7th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Super Mommy
QUESTION!!!

Do they have handicapped seating on Airplanes? I wonder if these seats are wider/larger due to wheelchair access and things of this nature. Perhaps if it is a medical condition they could have one of these seats? If they even exist that is....
Platinum Supermommy
My stepmother is very overwieght (almost 300 lbs) and they made her buy an extra ticket because she couldn't fit in just one seat...they were very rude and public about it and absolutely humilated her in front of everyone I think it's unfair...it's a form of discrimination. Obesity is a disability, self inflicted or not, and I believe that they shouln't be treated any differently...maybe they could make a section of the plane with wide seats for the bigger passangers, thats the only solution I can think of!
chlodoll
most people can help being overweight and even if its amedical problem that doesnt change the fact they dont fit in the seat and someone else will be squished
July 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Quote:
*ponders for a moment*

I think it's upsetting for the overweight person But if they are going to take up two seats then I see the point there as well. They wouldn't be able to sell another ticket and let someone else sit there. So...I guess what Holly said, about if they aren't booked, then no...but if they are booked then yes.

BUT, how do you know if the flight is booked or not when you buy the ticket?....

*ponders some more*[/b]
You don't know if the flight is booked or not usually when it is booked but when you arrive at the ticket counter, they have a final count.

Oh and to clarify I have nothing against overweight people in general. Being 5'1" and 175 lbs. I am also overweight, just I know I don't need to buy a 2nd seat.

Quote:
My stepmother is very overwieght (almost 300 lbs) and they made her buy an extra ticket because she couldn't fit in just one seat...they were very rude and public about it and absolutely humilated her in front of everyone I think it's unfair...it's a form of discrimination. Obesity is a disability, self inflicted or not, and I believe that they shouln't be treated any differently...maybe they could make a section of the plane with wide seats for the bigger passangers, thats the only solution I can think of![/b]
Actually that is an EXCELLENT idea, just wish the airlines would get on board with that idea!

July 7th, 2006, 04:52 PM
chlodoll
Well what if no obese people were in the plane? Who would get those seats? Is it fair that those people would get to be more comfortable then everyone else!?

I dont think planes should be accomodating americas ever growing waistband.
July 7th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
QUESTION!!!

Do they have handicapped seating on Airplanes? I wonder if these seats are wider/larger due to wheelchair access and things of this nature. Perhaps if it is a medical condition they could have one of these seats? If they even exist that is....[/b]
Reposting this because I think it got missed
July 7th, 2006, 04:55 PM
chlodoll
but if there was someone who was in a wheelchair and actually disabled then they would need that seat. then what?
July 7th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Quote:
QUESTION!!!

Do they have handicapped seating on Airplanes? I wonder if these seats are wider/larger due to wheelchair access and things of this nature. Perhaps if it is a medical condition they could have one of these seats? If they even exist that is....[/b]
By law they have to have handicap access on planes. But it's just a way for airlines to get more money from people who sometimes can't help their weight issues.

July 7th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Quote:
My stepmother is very overwieght (almost 300 lbs) and they made her buy an extra ticket because she couldn't fit in just one seat...they were very rude and public about it and absolutely humilated her in front of everyone I think it's unfair...it's a form of discrimination. Obesity is a disability, self inflicted or not, and I believe that they shouln't be treated any differently...maybe they could make a section of the plane with wide seats for the bigger passangers, thats the only solution I can think of![/b]
I am sorry that happened to your SM, and if I were her I would have gone up the chain with complaints. I don't think that the person should be publicly humiliated.
However, there are other passengers on the plane who have paid to have their small amount of space all to themselves. If someone cannot fit within the seat then they should have to purchase the additional space .
(I have heard there are certain airlines that offer the additional seat at a reduced fare for overweight passengers. Perhaps with a doctor's note or something of the like airlines would offer at least a fare reduction)

July 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
but if there was someone who was in a wheelchair and actually disabled then they would need that seat. then what?[/b]
I dunno...make more than one seat?? I wouldn't think there would be too many ppl that would need those seats all on the same plane...
July 7th, 2006, 04:58 PM
chlodoll
you make the seats bigger and someone fatter will just come a long and complain
July 7th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Well what if no obese people were in the plane? Who would get those seats? Is it fair that those people would get to be more comfortable then everyone else!?

I dont think planes should be accomodating americas ever growing waistband.[/b]

A flight doesn't necessarily have EVERY seat filled anyways, and I'm sure people wouldn't mind sitting in wider seats if they weren't obese...besides, with said "Ever growing waist band" I'm sure there is sure to be some overweight ppl on the flight who would probobly find those seats more comfortable...
Yes, most people are obese because of their own actions-many people are disabled because of their own actions (i.e. a person who has lung cancer because he smoked, someone who is in a wheelchair b/c they drove drunk) they are still human beings, and they are still disabled and the disabled need to be accomadated!
July 7th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Excellent point Blondie!

Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search