Plastic Surgery on Minors

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2006, 08:35 PM
Veteran
Would you let your child get plastic surgery(boob job, nose, etc.) just because they want it?
What about for a physical imperfection(I.E. 15 year old has a very large nose, would you let her get it corrected?)?
Would you take a young child(not old enough to 'want' it) in for plastic surgery to correct something minor?

Or do you think that a child should stay the way they are, and learn to accept their physical imperfections??

I would never sign for my child to get it for non-medical reasons. However, if they had a problem such as a very large nose, or totally flat chested, I would consider letting them have plastic surgery. I would want my child to lead as normal of a life as possible, and I don't want them to have to deal with the snickers of other children.

If it were an infant or very young child, I would probably consider it also--so that my child can lead a 'normal' life.
July 8th, 2006, 08:38 PM
chlodoll
For medical reasons yes and for issues that would greatly effect their self esteem probably yes.

I dont think being completely flat chested is a reason to get breast implants though. They can wait till they are old enough themselves for that.
July 8th, 2006, 08:42 PM
Veteran
Yeah, I was debating whether I should have put that I would be ok with breast implants for a completely flat child. Because I know sometimes you cannot breastfeed after them, and I don't know that I should let my minor child decide something like that.
July 8th, 2006, 08:46 PM
chlodoll
^ That is true! I think that would be a decison that she really couldnt comprehend at the time. A 14 year old might want bigger breasts and not care about breastfeeding at the time but she might care when she is pregnant and finds out it may not be a possibility.

I think something like breasts may become more acceptable over time. Once you are out of your teen years, and start getting into serious relationships/marriage you may feel differently about your breasts. I think its an issue of acceptance and once you see that other people have no problem (other people other then teenage boys) then you may feel more confident and maybe even like that you dont have to much up front.
July 8th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Veteran
I agree with you. I change my mind then, I probably would not let my child get breast implants.

Nose job, correcting an ear deformity, things like that--yes.
July 8th, 2006, 08:50 PM
chlodoll
My friend got her breasts reduced when she was 16 because she was tired of the comments about them. Honestly we couldnt go out without someone making totaly uncalled for and unwelcomed comments. Guys would always approach her to talk to her and guys of all ages. It was like people immediately assumed she was easy. She couldnt wear the shirts that she liked and when she did it would look inapropraite on her when it would look normal on someome else. She never even knew what size she was because she hated them so much, she always just wore sports bra's. After she got them reduced she was so much more confident. She could wear what she wanted, buy the cute bra's that she liked and she is very pretty and her boobs are still pretty big so she still gets mens attention but it was nothing like before. I mean when she was 12 she would have grown men hitting on her.
July 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Veteran
My friend had the same problem and just recently got them reduced. She is 100% more confident now. I don't think breasts have finished growing until you're at least 18, so they say not to have a surgery before that time.

Do you think that allowing your child to get plastic surgery would somehow affect them mentally? Like make them think that they aren't pretty 'really', and somehow have lower self esteem, or feel fake? Or maybe they would feel like they can just have a surgery or the like to correct problems in life instead of doing things the hard way?>
July 8th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would not do it for nonmedical reasons (or possibly a case where the surgery is only available before a certain age..that would be a case by case basis decision). My cousin had a boob reduction done, and I would probably agree with doing that. I remember her constant back pain..it was horrible...especially for such a young teen.

I have a lot of reasons for this, but the first and foremost is that I want our children to be confident in themselves, and confidence based on outside perception is not confidence at all. They have to at peace with their skin, but I do not bleieve this means altering it before they can fully comprehend the decision (aren't done growing yet, are angsty teens, etcetc).

My daughter has a birth mark on her face. I would never dream (if its even possible- I don't know really) of having it removed if we could. Instead, I hope to instill confidence in who she is and understanding about skin and perfect imperfections (her "love mark" she calls it).

Even things like large noses aren't the end of the world. You don't know how your face will grow until you've gotten past those growth spirt years.
July 8th, 2006, 09:31 PM
chlodoll
Quote:
My daughter has a birth mark on her face. I would never dream (if its even possible- I don't know really) of having it removed if we could. Instead, I hope to instill confidence in who she is and understanding about skin and perfect imperfections (her "love mark" she calls it).[/b]
I have a portwine stain on my forehead. Its not super noticeable but when I was young I hated it! I always said I would get it removed. But now that I am older it doesnt bother me really. I think I noticed it more then other people did. Now I would never bother getting it removed. Plus with all the different types of makeup out there its pretty easy to cover up.
July 8th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only thing I will consent to is a medical reason, a deviated septum, which is also plastic surgery. Besides for that, no not until my child was old enough to consent to it herself.

Big noses run on my mom's side of the family. I got my father's genes and was given a smaller nose. But none of my mom's side of the family has had cosmetic surgery for it.

My sister has small breasts but never considered a boob job, even at 24. She wears the water bras and if it is good enough for my snobby spoiled sister (loong story but let's just say she has sugar daddies), I think that will be good enough for my DD.

July 9th, 2006, 01:24 AM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope - no plastic surgery for my kids unless it is corrective surgery.

I have a shocking story to tell - at least shocking in my book. I have a very cute cousin & when we were in high school her dad got a nose job. After he was done - he was so "pleased with the outcome" he decided to tell her (as she had his nose, but a smaller version) that if she wanted to correct her nose, he'd pay for it. WTH??? She was okay with it until then & then he made her self conscious of it & to this day - she will occassionally make bad comments about her profile or hating her nose & I NEVER remember hearing that before then. She opted for no surgery - but I wish she could have put it out of her mind as well!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 9th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
True valid medical reasons I have no problem with for a minor. A friend of mine in High school, and the same problem and got a reduction. She had alot of back problems, and had a hard time playing sports and such.

Any plastic surgury has risks, and the less the better.

{I personally don't think I could ever have a cosmetic plastic sugury! My mom used to work in that field, and i'm totally freaked out knowing how the surguries are done!]
July 9th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
For medical purposes, I would allow it. Anything purely cosmetic, they will have to finance on their own.

I, also, had a friend in HS who had a breast reduction. She was small, size 0/1 and had 34DDs , she had constant back pain. Finally, when we were 16 she had the reduction surgery to a 34C she looked and felt much better.

July 9th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Saigon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My cousin has Turner's syndrome. It causes a webbing of her neck. Basically, a muscle on each side of her neck attaches beind the ears and goes down to the shoulder. Looking at her it was quite obvious something was different. However, it doesnt affect her physically at all. And her self esteem is fine (right now) my Aunt and Uncle decided to have her in for plastic surgery to fix this. (the muscle tissues were cut then reattachedto different areas) My cousin didn't care either way (she was 11) But with all she has to deal with from the Turner's syndrome this was a small correction they could make. And I am sure in a few years she will be thankful for it.

They have also considered breast augmentation. Because of the Turner's syndrome, she will never develop an adult's figure. And it causes her to have a barrel shaped chest.(due to the bone growth) And breast augmentation (either inplants or fat redistribution) will help her appear more... her age(they are considering doing this at 16-17) I don't see a problem with this at all in her situation.

However, this isn't medically necessary. And I don't like to refer to it as a deformity.

I think it depends on the situation and what they want to do, and why.
July 9th, 2006, 04:37 PM
mrobinson
<div class=\'quotetop\'>QUOTE(chlodoll @ Jul 8 2006, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class=\'quotemain\'>I have a portwine stain on my forehead. Its not super noticeable but when I was young I hated it! I always said I would get it removed. But now that I am older it doesnt bother me really. I think I noticed it more then other people did. Now I would never bother getting it removed. Plus with all the different types of makeup out there its pretty easy to cover up.[/b][/quote]
I know a girl who had a big black birthmark around one of her eyes. I looked like someone punched her in the face or throw balck mud on her. She covered it up with makeup when she was older but when she turned 18, started getting it removed, or lighter...
OT: the type of mark I described and you described, well some people think things like that are from other lives.

Quote:
I think it depends on the situation and what they want to do, and why.[/b]

If I have an incredible sensitive child, I might consider it more.. If I think my child has a strong sense of self, I hope I can convince them to love it. Not every child is going to be emotionally the same.
July 9th, 2006, 04:48 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
My cousin has Turner's syndrome. It causes a webbing of her neck. Basically, a muscle on each side of her neck attaches beind the ears and goes down to the shoulder. Looking at her it was quite obvious something was different. However, it doesnt affect her physically at all. And her self esteem is fine (right now) my Aunt and Uncle decided to have her in for plastic surgery to fix this. (the muscle tissues were cut then reattachedto different areas) My cousin didn't care either way (she was 11) But with all she has to deal with from the Turner's syndrome this was a small correction they could make. And I am sure in a few years she will be thankful for it.

They have also considered breast augmentation. Because of the Turner's syndrome, she will never develop an adult's figure. And it causes her to have a barrel shaped chest.(due to the bone growth) And breast augmentation (either inplants or fat redistribution) will help her appear more... her age(they are considering doing this at 16-17) I don't see a problem with this at all in her situation.

However, this isn't medically necessary. And I don't like to refer to it as a deformity.

I think it depends on the situation and what they want to do, and why.[/b]
I think I would categorize much of what you describe as corrective...it is something that is different becasue of a syndrome. Others might disagree & I don't know that much about Turner's - but it seems to me that it is to enhance her appearance so that she doesn't look like she has a condition.

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

July 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Super Mommy
Medical reasons: Yes
Breast Reduction: Yes
Breast Implants: No, due to the possibly not being able to BF..yadda ya...
Large Nose: No...I have a large nose, and it used to bother me A LOT. Now, I don't notice it really...it still "bugs" me...but if I didn't have my nose to bug me I'd be complaining about my thighs or my butt...or my stomach...or something...And my dh tells me all the time he absolutely loves my nose. He thinks it's a cute piggy pug nose..."Nice Babe..Nice" *sigh* LOL!!
July 9th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Unless it was for a medical reason my answer is NO. I consider a breast reduction medical, because big breasts can really hurt your posture now and later on in life. I would never let my daughter get a boob job or any other cosmetic surgery until she is out on her own and paying for it herself. IMO, someone is always going to find something wrong with themselves. I think it just takes understanding that nobody is perfect and that some of those physical "differences" are what make you so beautiful.
Amanda

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search