I loves my gun....

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Should every American own a gun?
Yes 4 9.30%
No 34 79.07%
Other 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 9th, 2006, 07:34 PM
mrobinson
Ok... I think 99% of the problem in the US with violence is the fact so many own and use guns.. The mentality has bred so much fear.. I just wish instead of every person owning a gun, they just protected themselves differently...

But I'm not an American so here's your gun platform...
July 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would not advocate "every American should own a gun."

Instead, I would say that "every American should take a self defense class" Maybe insurances could give incentives to take a class (like they give incentives for going to the gym- with ours, you get 150$ rebate kinda thing for joining and staying with a gym).

We do own guns, but they would be useless in self defense as they are stored in a safe without bullets. But I do like the meat they bring in
July 9th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I definitely do not believe every American should own a gun, there are people that should not be allowed to weild a spoon.
However, there is such a thing as responsible gun owners. I never touched a gun until I joined the military, and never owned one of my own until DH bought me one before leaving for the Middle East the first time.(I did grow up around them...I am from Texas, most of my family owned hunting rifles. ) During my Air Force training I received gun handling and safety training, and I have expanded on that education since.
As with Isabellamom, my gun would be fairly useless in an emergency, self-defense situation, as it is locked away in a safe and unloaded...if the need arose, I could get to it pretty quickly though.
The key is education and safety, there should be more stringent training and education classes associated with gun purchases.

July 9th, 2006, 09:41 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, absolutely not! I think there are too many ignorant gun owners out there as it is. I own a gun and fully support the right to bear arms. However, my father put me & my siblings thru a hunter's safety course when we were teenagers and we were taught how to be safe & responsible gun owners. I think a safety course should be mandatory for anyone who wants to buy/own a gun.

July 9th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't think that every American should own a gun, but I agree with Jess that those that do should be put throught a gun safety course first. I have been around guns as long as I can remember and I learned gun safety when I was 5 years old and then had a more advanced course when I was a teenager. Some people (my parents) don't buy guns for protection. They are in the NRA, and compete in gun tournaments and such. However, it is scary to think of some crazy people out there having a gun.
Amanda
July 9th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I would not advocate "every American should own a gun."

they would be useless in self defense as they are stored in a safe without bullets.[/b]
I have no problem with owning guns, especially for hunting. I do however have a problem with handguns. I would not feel safe with a gun in my house. Maybe if I didnt have kids..

July 10th, 2006, 12:19 AM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
No, absolutely not! I think there are too many ignorant gun owners out there as it is. I own a gun and fully support the right to bear arms. However, my father put me & my siblings thru a hunter's safety course when we were teenagers and we were taught how to be safe & responsible gun owners. I think a safety course should be mandatory for anyone who wants to buy/own a gun.[/b]

god I hated that class... it bored me but I also think it's a good idea!

July 10th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Super Mommy
I don't think anyone apart from the police service or people in the army should have guns. That's the way it works here and we dont live in fear because we dont have guns. Theres other ways of protecting yourself. Owning a gun is a bit extreme.
July 10th, 2006, 08:43 AM
kadydid
I don’t think “Every” person should own a gun. That is a pretty broad statement. I do think that law abiding citizens should be able to own a gun if they choose. My husband has a gun, it is not mine. I don’t think I have ever seen it. I have seen the case that it is locked in though LOL And it is in a locked closet. It is really locked up.

I would say that all gun owners should take a gun safety class. I did when I was a kid and my kids will when they are smidge older. My husband has and he was in the military.

I honestly think that we would have had more attacks on the United States if our forefathers wouldn’t have had the foresight to add that to the constitution. The more I think of it, I don’t think that right should ever be taken away. I think that right protects us from other countries and it also protects us from our own government in a way. YAY FOREFATHERS!!
July 10th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think America would be much safer if every sane, non-criminal person owned and was trained in the use of guns. But the question was "everyone," so I had to answer no. I think some people should NOT own guns, like criminals or people of questionable mental capacity, but it seems like those people are the ones who DO end up having guns, despite laws that say they can't. In order to protect ourselves, the rest of need to have access to firepower too.

I guess some places have a 10 second police response time, but we live in an area that does not. If I were to call the police and tell them I was about to be murdered, it would be at least 20 minutes before they got here. For that amount of time, me and my children would be at the mercy of a criminal, and I refuse to let that happen.

July 10th, 2006, 10:10 AM
mrobinson

(Well Stacey, I guess every girl owning a gun isn't going to be a reality anytime soon!)

I wish everyone would take courses and update them too!
July 10th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Quote:

(Well Stacey, I guess every girl owning a gun isn't going to be a reality anytime soon!)

I wish everyone would take courses and update them too![/b]
Yes, broad statement, but I didn't mean it literally.
I did vote NO, and for those that do own guns I absolutely, unequivocally advocate education!! Gun ownership is a HUGE responsibility and not one that should be taken lightly.

July 10th, 2006, 10:37 AM
mrobinson
I think it's awesome people think education is the key to having one.

If the choice was a gun (with education) or self-defense classes what would you choose?
July 10th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The chance of hitting a knowing target (that is, you aren't stalking the target and don't have the element of surprise) is very low. In addition, I feel like bringing out a weapon will probably cause the person breaking in to do the same. In our case, the criminal would have to make the choice to enter a home with a security system (which is blatantly advertised on all windows and doors), in a neighborhood that advertises their nightly criminal watch and I am thinking, that in order to take that risk, we are probably talking about a desperate criminal who would probably be armed.

I firmly believe that if someone entered our house, the best chances of survival for our family would be to utilize one of our escape plans. The chances that we could get ahold of a weapon and prepare it for fire and actually hit the target without succombing ourselves is low. Fleeing or creating a situation in which the cirminal would not pull their weapon would probably be our best bet.

I've tripped our alarm a few times and police response has been swift. Coupled with escape plans and a neighborhood watch, I feel safe without a defense weapon.

I also feel that I am prepared to do hand to hand combat (and hand to knife ) if need be as I have taken 6 years of classes and, once this pregnancy is over, I hope to teach a class myself
July 10th, 2006, 11:55 AM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I have a really ignorant question because I've never been around handguns. We always had hunting rifles in the house stored safely while I was growing up but they were only out once a year.

For those that use handguns for self-defense, if the guns are stored safely and properly then how are they used for self-defense? By the time you get to the gun's safe place then go get the bullets out of their safe place and load the gun, a lot could happen... couldn't it? I've just always wondered this and have never met a handgun owner to ask them.[/b]

Girl it takes me less than 10 seconds to get into my safe Honestly I'm a good shot... those criminals don't stand a chance if they ever tried to hurt anyone in my family. I could get the job done before the police could ever respond

July 10th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I have a really ignorant question because I've never been around handguns. We always had hunting rifles in the house stored safely while I was growing up but they were only out once a year.

For those that use handguns for self-defense, if the guns are stored safely and properly then how are they used for self-defense? By the time you get to the gun's safe place then go get the bullets out of their safe place and load the gun, a lot could happen... couldn't it? I've just always wondered this and have never met a handgun owner to ask them.[/b]

Girl it takes me less than 10 seconds to get into my safe Honestly I'm a good shot... those criminals don't stand a chance if they ever tried to hurt anyone in my family. I could get the job done before the police could ever respond
[/b]
Ditto that! I have practiced lol

July 10th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a little late replying about the hand gun thing, but I wanted to tell you how it works for my family (meaning my parents lol). Both of my parents have handguns not only in their home but in their vehicles also. (They didn't put the ones in the cars until we were older). The handgun that is in the house sits in a locked gun case inside their headboard. They put the key next to the case only at night, so during the day my step-dad carries it on him. If someone were to break into their house it would only take a matter of seconds before he could have his gun ready. (Hope that made some sense lol).
Amanda
July 10th, 2006, 12:57 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
I'm Canadian so I grab my hockey stick. I'm not kidding, I have done it![/b]

Quote:
I'm a little late replying about the hand gun thing, but I wanted to tell you how it works for my family (meaning my parents lol). Both of my parents have handguns not only in their home but in their vehicles also. (They didn't put the ones in the cars until we were older). The handgun that is in the house sits in a locked gun case inside their headboard. They put the key next to the case only at night, so during the day my step-dad carries it on him. If someone were to break into their house it would only take a matter of seconds before he could have his gun ready. (Hope that made some sense lol).
Amanda[/b]
Anyone seen Pulp Fiction?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search