Unsportsmanlike conduct

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This thread was inspired by the World Cup Soccer final in which a French player, the captain and team "hero", purposefully headbutted an Italian player and got himself ejected.

What are your thoughts on actions like this in professional sports? Are professional sports players really role models, is there a standard they need to hold? What do you plan on telling your children if they happen to view something like this World Cup incident? Is it ever ok for someone to get "heated and out of control" like this incident...do we all get this way at our "job" sometimes? Or are professional athletes exempt from this?

What about in nonprofessional sports like Little League or the school team...have you had to deal with unsportsmanlike conduct from players or parents?
July 10th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I saw that last night. First of all, their adults - act like it! I'd expect something like that from a kid.

I've played sports my whole life, and there have been times where a player on the other team, really did something to bother me, but you have to just let it go. Or if there is a problem discuss it with the coach who can discuss it with the refferee *sp*.

Everybody gets upset about something "on the job", but at a office job or otherwise, you can't just go and headbutt somebody or whatever. Your probably get fired, or a very nice warning.
July 10th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
To extend your debate a little (if that's okay ) what do you think the punishment should be in cases like this, especially if another person is hurt seriously? Should the law be involved like it would be between 2 citizens on a street? (Michelle, I think you know where I'm going with this.)[/b]
That's a good question!! I know some leagues will fine players and take away their "job" for a few games. But it is interesting that two people on the street would be fined and possibly jailed in addition to having a criminal record if convicted while sports players can do it on national television and, while they do get fined sometimes, there's really no long lasting punishment (except maybe to have a "reputation" as a goon or whatever).

My 3 year old was watching the game with my husband over at a friend's house; he said that she just reacted the way she always does when she sees people getting cards...she gasps and puts her hand over her mouth and says "uh oh!" so I don't really think she totally understands yet but, when she does, I would definitely want to make sure she knows that that type of behavior is not tolerated on or off the field.

Another aspect of this when looking at local community/school sports is teaching our kids the role of the referee. They are a human aspect of the game and, because of that, they make mistakes. I fear the day when our kids are on teams and parents in the stands are yelling at the refs. It's hard to try and teach that everyone makes mistakes, including refs, when you have tons of parents yelling horrible things from the stands!
July 10th, 2006, 09:57 AM
mrobinson
((Rubbing hands... thank you Lord for this opportunity. Jode, hold on to your pants!))

Ok, the the French dude ~ this was his last time at this so I think he did it because he thought there would be no reprecussions.. I think it's tastless but this post pretty much covered it!

Quote:
As for other professional athletes, I think any violent behaviour either during play or in their personal lives is unacceptable. Any professional athlete (just like a celebrity) knows they will be in the spotlight and media so with that comes sacrifices. The same goes for illegal behaviour. It does set a bad standard for the young children who idolize them. Whether they like it or not, they ARE role models.

I'd like to think that any parent watching yesterday explained to their child that behaviour like that would be unacceptable. If my child did it, getting kicked out of a championship game would be the easy part of his punishment. There is never an excuse to intentionally hurt another human being, no matter how heated a situation is.

To extend your debate a little (if that's okay ) what do you think the punishment should be in cases like this, especially if another person is hurt seriously? Should the law be involved like it would be between 2 citizens on a street? (Michelle, I think you know where I'm going with this.)[/b]
((evil grin)) I think being Bertizzuied constitues charges. This is supposed to be just a game.

(jumping on lecturing platform) What is really sick about how idolized sports people are is that they get away with things a common person would never. That's why I'm glad when the police actually charge a player who gets crazy. I really think there is a sick sub-culture that creates some horrible human beings due to lack of punishment and boundaries the rest of us have. Jode ~ Eric Lindros.. Did you know most sex offenders can't cross the border? Eric Lindros can because he's always been able to reduce the (mulitple) charges (with the help of law inforcement fans) after rapes. The excuse? You and I know there are girls that want to be the trophy wife of a sport's superstar. So does law enforcement. So legitament rapes get brushed aside. AARRGHHH!!!!
July 10th, 2006, 11:50 AM
mrobinson
on the drug/rape charges.

I will agree that singling out Bertuzzi was wrong.. Do you have an issue about the hooting, hollering and cheering when hockey fights happen? I do.

There is nothing more devasting than seeing a person you know fall on their face and the pool of blood starts pouring around the player's head... those stupid fans go quiet then cheer when the player gets up.. So in a second it goes from die, player die to good fight, and a tough player takes his lumps to glad you're ok.

Quote:
As for Zidane (the French soccer player), I think it's sad to think that he will now be remembered for his cowardly headbutt instead of a wonderful playing career now that he's retiring.[/b]
That is so sad.

(Oh I forgot to tell you I read the Sheldon Kennedy book.)

How did he get away with crossing the border?
July 10th, 2006, 12:53 PM
mrobinson
Kennedy was using.. I should have paid closer attention to the charges ~ you know when people find out who you are, they downplay things..

The goon thing? ((head shakes)) I know a clean fight helps the moral of the team. (Well, you know I'm a Flames fan!) I just wish they'd <strike>hit</strike> check each other instead. I can see getting frustrated with being held and the refs not calling it but from minor hockey we are teaching these boys to solve it with fists.. I don't like it.
July 10th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, the tape shows the two of them talking after it seems the Italy player grabbed his shirt by the goal. Then they continue talking away from play and he said something in Zidane's ear and then walks off and Zidane head butts him. THis is second hand as I haven't seen this video yet but my husband has.
July 10th, 2006, 01:26 PM
mrobinson
I haven't been in the arena's for the minor hockey in about 10 years.. I thought Hockey Canada has been really putting a stop to parents acting like that? (Have you seen those commericals of kids imidating their obxnious parents?)

DH hasn't heard why the head bunt took place.. I'll go surfing and find out!

I found this. Was this really his 14th red card?
July 10th, 2006, 01:47 PM
mrobinson
I've heard two rumors.. One that he said something racist. (That doesn't seem to work, eh?) and that he "proved" his head was indeed hard enough to aim the ball into the net after being told he couldn't..
July 11th, 2006, 01:53 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think professional sports players are the worse role models. I have been around sports all my life, even helping my dad coach his wrestling teams (yes I am female and know how to wrestle!). I have seen both players and parents who act unsportmanlike. When asked what got into these kids, they say they saw it on TV

July 11th, 2006, 09:33 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
Michelle, I thought you would find this funny. I post and moderate on a hockey forum geared towards junior players. In talking about this incident, it came up that Zidane was called a "dirty terrorist". One poster had the nerve to post this:
"how many times does a hockey player get beaked and called names. and do they react like that? no"

Hahaha, I replied with this:
"Yes, because hockey is a good clean sport to compare it to. There are never sticks to the head and face or players punching from behind, etc."[/b]
What game of hockey are they playing? My DH who ref'd for years used to laugh at how unoriginal hockey players were with their "insults." Maybe they haven't heard what a dirty terrorist is yet?

You know Sheldon Kennedy used to be called Graham James wife on the ice.. He didn't go bersek on ice, just off.
July 11th, 2006, 10:38 AM
mrobinson
Burns are always the solution!

The Sheldon Kennedy thing is sick. After reading that book I got from it how upset he was. He felt like everyone knew but noone would do anything about it. (How helpless, eh?) I really feel like the biggest point to his book was that he didn't think shame and guilt could conquer him because he was a hockey player (a big tough guy) not just a sex abuse victim.. He's right that it doesn't matter if he's a hockey player. Sex abuse's shame is the same for everyone but unfortunatley for years I think he just assumed everyone thought he was weak. (Well and that he was a ****.) *Yes I hate that word too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search