Ethics time!

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2006, 11:47 AM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
"No one person should have the right, or authority, to have any amount of normal and healthy tissue removed from another person."

Why or why not?

I would appreciate everyone who responds taking the time to respond directly to this original post.

Please give your answers in complete sentences. (Just kiddin' )

~Nay
July 10th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Every human, no matter how young or how mute, has the right to bodily integrity. We even extend this right to animals in some places now. In the "west", we value the inalienable rights of "life, liberty and property" (property is translated to "pursuit of happiness" in the USA). The removal of body parts without medical reason from a nonconsenting individual is a violation of

A) Life. We are free to choose the life we wish to lead and face any consequences that arise from unethical action. Cutting of a body part of another deprives them permanently of that body part and the effect it would have on their life.

B) Liberty. The freedom to choose to alter one's body is seen throughout the world in tatoos, earrings, and even plastic surgery; however, consent of the body in question, the body to be altered, is necessary. YOu have the right to bodily integrity that no one but yourself can take. Looking at this in reverse, humans have the liberty to act upon themselves up until their actions affect another in a negative way. YOu have the cut to alter your own body but not another's without their consent.

C) Property. Your body is your own, and no one is permitted to take any part of it without your consent.
July 10th, 2006, 09:25 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Okay, I know Isabella gave a top notch answer, but surely there are some others on here with an opinion?

~Nay
July 11th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Revamp's Avatar Super Mommy
Great idea!

I would agree with that statement: consent is a vital part of existance. Your body is your own property and thus for others to tamper with it unless you have requested them to is a defiance of free choice.

http://www.observer.org.sz/main.asp?id=182...mp;Section=main
July 11th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Of course there are exceptions. When looking at, say, medically necessary amputation for a mute individual (whether its an infant or adult), we have laws in place to take care of these circumstances. The guardian is endowed with the power to consent in the hopes of preservation of life and liberty (liberty in this case may be the freedom to die- such as a DNR).

Thus, you have the right (and the duty) to make choices when medically necessary (or even just life bettering by way of medical action) for your children. These choices, however, must be made with "life, liberty, and property" in mind. Which is why a mother may choose to do surgery to fix a malformation to create better function without violating these values.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search