"Cougar" is now offensive.

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Linzie's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Linzie Send a message via Skype™ to Linzie
New school can’t be Cougars because middle-aged women might be offended

*bangs head on desk*

Is it just me? Or is this whole PC thing going a little too far?

January 19th, 2012, 09:59 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup. So tired of living in a tip - toe, walk on eggshells, PC culture that requires us to coddle every precious person and their precious feelings. People need to quit being so freaking offended over every freaking thing in the world. So over it...
January 20th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
PC my ***

People are just whacked these days. Everyone wants everyone else to be sensitive to them and their issues. In some cases, it might be warranted, but in the grand scheme, most of the time it's not.

Personally I think it's high time people grow a thicker skin and start worrying about more important things. Like, oh, I don't know, the children, for example, and the kind of world we will be leaving behind for them.

People disappoint me, a lot, these days. Always expecting so much of others (even little stuff adds up), but rarely do they give a crap about anyone else, or how their own actions/words could affect someone else.

Wonder if these people realize just how many names, and things, COULD be found offensive, by someone, somewhere. Guess it's easier to be offended than work on your own issues, demons and skeletons.
January 20th, 2012, 06:24 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HA! I can 10000% guarantee this has nothing to do with not wanting to offend middle aged women or being politically correct. I graduated from BYU, the nearby college in the article also called the cougars (and the cougar in the picture) and I can tell you exactly why they don't want to be known as the cougars. This school is located in Salt Lake county, home of the University of Utah - the bitter rivals of the BYU Cougars, which is located in the next county over. I know beyond a doubt that the real story is that while 23% of the student body voted to be cougars, 77% are die hard Ute fans and had an aneuyrism at the prospect of sharing a mascot with BYU. So the school board had to come up with a "valid" reason to change the name and the best they could do was this bs. It has absolutely nothing to do with political correctness or offended old ladies. They should have just stated the real reason, because that looks far less asinine than the one they invented!
January 20th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Too funny and yes, its PC gone too far.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
January 20th, 2012, 06:52 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL

I'm betting on Tiffany's explanation.

January 20th, 2012, 07:26 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
None of this made sense to me until I read Tiffany's post, and i will bet she's nailed this one.

i'm personally over the mascot controversies (and they are everywhere)...pick an animal and move along people...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
January 20th, 2012, 08:26 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
HA! I can 10000% guarantee this has nothing to do with not wanting to offend middle aged women or being politically correct. I graduated from BYU, the nearby college in the article also called the cougars (and the cougar in the picture) and I can tell you exactly why they don't want to be known as the cougars. This school is located in Salt Lake county, home of the University of Utah - the bitter rivals of the BYU Cougars, which is located in the next county over. I know beyond a doubt that the real story is that while 23% of the student body voted to be cougars, 77% are die hard Ute fans and had an aneuyrism at the prospect of sharing a mascot with BYU. So the school board had to come up with a "valid" reason to change the name and the best they could do was this bs. It has absolutely nothing to do with political correctness or offended old ladies. They should have just stated the real reason, because that looks far less asinine than the one they invented!
Now that makes more sense than the bs they tried to feed to the media.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I can totally understand Tiffany's reasoning, and I REALLY hope that's it. I would have to assume so.

Otherwise...are you SERIOUS!? My high school changed mascots the year after I graduated due to racism. We were the Redskins, though, and our mascot was an Indian cheif. I completely understand that. However, the cougars? Really? I sort of thing their argument is making them look really idiotic. I think they should have just come out with the real reason. People understand serious college rivalry.

January 20th, 2012, 09:56 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tiffany's explanation makes sense. I don't get what is so wrong with saying that. It is perfectly fine to not want to have the same mascot as another school. I can't think of anyone having an issue with it.
January 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bet it's Tiffany's explanation. The Cougars here (the ladies) actually like that term, so... What are you called if you're a younger woman who likes older guys?
January 20th, 2012, 04:46 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
rofl, this is the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

Tiffany probably hit it right on the head there. It's rather silly to try and say you're being PC about something that's pretty much unimportant and trivial. And I don't know a single "Cougar" who isn't proud as hell about her "title".

January 20th, 2012, 07:00 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
I bet it's Tiffany's explanation. The Cougars here (the ladies) actually like that term, so... What are you called if you're a younger woman who likes older guys?
Sugar baby if the older man has money that they spend on you.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 20th, 2012, 07:23 PM
Keepin' it real!
EVERYTHING is offensive. EveryONE who is offended easily ALLOWS themselves to be as such. BIG WHINY Babies and I'm really tired of it. Pretty soon, we'll all be censored and no one will be allowed to say anything at all.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
January 21st, 2012, 10:50 AM
Veteran
Cougers go by different names. If the name was such an issue why not just call it a puma or a mountain lion? I think the school board just wanted to choose the mascot and made up some BS excuse so that they could have their way.
January 21st, 2012, 11:20 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
Sugar baby if the older man has money that they spend on you.
Ah yes, I guess I should have known that since the man is called a Sugar Daddy, which is kind of gross to me (the name is gross, not the action, don't care who people marry).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search