Children "working out" with parents

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2006, 07:27 AM
cbrmommy's Avatar Veteran
I posted this here because it got a little heated in one of my other groups. Every night, my daughters and I go to a friends house and walk - usually 2 miles, sometimes more. We walk the first mile, take a break, then walk the second mile, then take another break. Then we either so an aerobics/yoga/pilates workout or engage in a kickboxing training routine. My girls go with me and walk and work out with us. I was quite literally attacked on another forum because a few ladies felt it was wrong for me to take my girls to work out at their ages. I was informed that Im givign them the impression that its wrong to be fat or out of shape. What happens if puberty hits and they put on an extra 50 lbs...what will that do to their psyche. Apparently, allowing them to go with me and workout, and get in shape is wrong. I always thought it was best to start them young, to get them in a healthy body healthy mind mentality, so weight/body stuff wont become an issue later. Kind of - its easier to start early and stay in the habit than it is to develop the habit years later, KWIM?
So what do you ladies think? Is it wrong for 8-10 year old girls to engage in walks and workouts for fitness? Should they not be allowed to work out with us? I do want to add that my girls go walka dn workout by their own choice. Im not forcing them to go. They look at it as an activity we can do together, and if it makes us all healthier in the process, Im all for it.
July 11th, 2006, 07:31 AM
mrobinson
Nope I don'tthink it's wrong and you're a great mommy for it! I don't believe most 8-10 year olds get enough excerise anymore. Most gym classes have been so reduced and kids (well their parents) are too afraid to really let loose and to play.
July 11th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Ashes78
My 10 year old boys work out with me. I don't see anything at all wrong with it. The boys love it. If your kids enjoy it and it is keeping them in shape and healthy, I don't see why someone would think it was a bad thing.
July 11th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I htink what you are doing is AWESOME!

You are engaging them in community awareness of health! They ren't going to a gym all alone or following a preset strenuous workout schedule; instead, they are engaging in a community walk (which I am sure is full of socialization as well as exercise!) then they are doing something less mainstream that opens their minds to other fun ways to keep your body healthy (kickboxing, yoga, etc).

A healthy body contributes to a long, healthy, happy life...and, as a parent, that's your job to help foster!

to you!
July 11th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it is great that you are allowing your kids to work out with you! You are teaching them how to be healthy and stay in shape. And IMO the younger they learn it the better!
Amanda
July 11th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
gosh i'd hate to think about what they would say to families 100 years ago that had kids.... doing physical labor on the farm! i mean oh no!

kids are tough, they are resiliant, and they need physical exercise like we do! you aren't feeding them protein shakes and putting weights in their hands, you are teaching them great skills. and shhh i grew up on a farm dont tell them i did manual labor

July 11th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think its a good thing. My 5yr old will try to mimic me when Im doing my exercise dvds, lol. I think kids are not as active as they were when I was younger. So, the more active the better!

July 11th, 2006, 08:27 AM
CBMS
I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all! Before I got pregnant I was working out 6 days a week at a gym and walking, and the girls would go with me for the walks. And I am constantly telling them to go outside and run and play so that they can get some exercise...

Far too often in today's society, we breed the "it's okay to be chunky and immobile" attitude by placing children in front of the TV so we don't have to be 'bothered.' They have taken the normal, go outside and play hard every single day, PE at school, so our kids are getting less and less exercise, and there is quickly becoming a chunkier and chunkier population--myself included. I sit around FAR too much, and I know I shouldn't, but I do it anyway...sigh. In addition to them getting chunkier, there is more ADHD--perhaps, although I know that's a different debate, that's tied into it as well. All the pent up energy... of course they're going to be hyper! There's just too much energy in them! They need to learn how to use it up and come back down to a normal level. (as I said... I do know that's another debate entirely... I just had to say it )

Hopefully by adults/parents encouraging children to be active (I never had that advantage--our TV was our babysitter), they won't turn out like me... someone who's fingers (for typing and playing computer games) get more exercise than the over-sized butt and legs...
July 11th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its great and I plan on doing the same when my son is born.

How could it be negative? You look good, you feel good. Then, when they get older and have the option to do it on their own, they make the healthy choice!

BRAVO!!!

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 11th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I don't think there is anything wrong with it at all! Before I got pregnant I was working out 6 days a week at a gym and walking, and the girls would go with me for the walks. And I am constantly telling them to go outside and run and play so that they can get some exercise...

Far too often in today's society, we breed the "it's okay to be chunky and immobile" attitude by placing children in front of the TV so we don't have to be 'bothered.' They have taken the normal, go outside and play hard every single day, PE at school, so our kids are getting less and less exercise, and there is quickly becoming a chunkier and chunkier population--myself included. I sit around FAR too much, and I know I shouldn't, but I do it anyway...sigh. In addition to them getting chunkier, there is more ADHD--perhaps, although I know that's a different debate, that's tied into it as well. All the pent up energy... of course they're going to be hyper! There's just too much energy in them! They need to learn how to use it up and come back down to a normal level. (as I said... I do know that's another debate entirely... I just had to say it )

Hopefully by adults/parents encouraging children to be active (I never had that advantage--our TV was our babysitter), they won't turn out like me... someone who's fingers (for typing and playing computer games) get more exercise than the over-sized butt and legs... [/b]

July 11th, 2006, 08:55 AM
kadydid
That is some really backwards thinking.....I think you are doing a great job. Exercise and taking care of yourself only gives you self esteem not take it away.
July 11th, 2006, 09:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh please The people who are saying that probobly just have unhealthy, inactive kids and they feel guilty about it, so they try to make you feel bad for promoting a healthy lifestyle.
July 11th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I thought this was going to be about people who really pressure their kids to stay thin or work out excessively (like the little Hercules boy--he is cute but I think his parents went WAY too far.) I think what the OP is doing is GREAT. I try to walk 3-4 days a week myself and take the kids out and they play on their playground or in the yard while I walk (we have a small walking trail on our property where I'm in sight of the kids playground.) They walk with me sometimes, but they're still little and can't really keep up over long distances. When I'm done walking we kick a ball around the yard and they run and chase it. We're not as in shape as we should be, but I think exercise for kids is WONDERFUL and I can't believe anyone would discourage you from it.

And P.S., it may not be WRONG for someone to be overweight or out of shape, but it certainly is unhealthy and I think most of us want to have healthy kids. Some parents are just more pro-active about making it happen.

July 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I think it is great! I walk a couple of times a week and Macey walks with me, she loves it. She also loves to do my pilates work-outs with me (I do have to send her away when I do my Carmen Electra strippercise videos ).

I have an elliptical machine that I workout on and a couple of times a week Macey will get on it and "work-out" for a couple of minutes...just like mommy (and I mean by working on it for a couple of minutes ).

I think we should include our children in a somewhat active lifestyle. So many kids today are obese and sentient, they would rather play video games than go play. I want my children to enjoy being active and be healthier because of it.

Good for you!

July 11th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone here. I think it great! Kids NEED exercise! Raine "works out" with me, or at least thinks she is

</div>
July 11th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Walking and such is great, and as long as the kids wnat to do it, go for it!

I never thought about the ADHD thing. But its logical. When I worked at a daycare, the longer you were inside, cooped up, the harder it was on us. Going outside for even an hour, to let them run around and just get the energy out was a very wise idea!
July 11th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DD works out with me, she watches what she eats. She doesn't starve herself or anything. She knows mommy has issues with weight so she is taking measures now and working with me on it. I see nothing wrong with your kids working out with you. A lot of kids now are overweight and big time couch potatoes.

July 11th, 2006, 12:51 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Walking and such is great, and as long as the kids wnat to do it, go for it!

I never thought about the ADHD thing. But its logical. When I worked at a daycare, the longer you were inside, cooped up, the harder it was on us. Going outside for even an hour, to let them run around and just get the energy out was a very wise idea![/b]
I've been looking for more research about the ADHD thing.. Do you guys watch Dr.Phil? He says that junk food and lack of excerise effects our brains chemically.. I know through training that more people who are a little more prone to adictions have like a 60%-80% change of a mental health issue. So.. if we are unhealthy, it makes sense to me that this would happen... However real doctors need to come out with some studies for us!

Hey cbrmommy.. check out the soda thread (and btw, it's pop, my American friends) and you'll know your doing things is way better than giving your kids pop. (Not that I think anyone in that thread is neglectful or anything.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search