Do parents play favorites?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I'm having a lot of issues with my mom and wanted your opinion on this: do you think (as a parent or as a daughter) that parents play favorites between siblings?
Amanda

ETA: By favortism I don't mean love one child more then the other.
July 11th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My parents did. My sister was the princess who could do no wrong (the all-round favorite), my brother was the lovable rascal who never had to do anything at all and still doesn't (my mom's personal favorite), and I was the rebel, great-big pain in the butt who would argue with a stop sign (I think they just put up with me until I eventually got the message and hit the road.) I do think they tried to love us all the same and treat us all the same, and none of ever really got anything the others didn't get, but I do think my parents like my brother and sister more than me because they were "easier" to raise than I was.

I'll never play favorites with my own children however-

July 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Here's my story (guess I should have put it in the OP lol). I am 20 and my sister is 23. My sister moved out to go to college right after she graduated high school and my parents paid her rent, car payment, and insurance. She moved to go to a university and moved in with her fiance so my mom started paying half of her rent (her fiance pays the other half). I moved out right after I turned 19 to go to college closer to where my fiance lived at the time. My mom paid my rent and I paid my car payment. Well we moved and I started going to a different college and my fiance and I got our own apartment together. My mom stopped paying my rent and and paid my car payment (which is half of what my sister's is). Well my fiance got transferred for work so I had to drop my classes which brings us to where we live now. My mom still pays all of that stuff for my sister and pays just my car payment for (which I am grateful).
Okay, now that the background is done with here's the deal. I was working until I got put on bedrest. My fiance works 12+ hours a day and we literally live paycheck to paycheck. Well my sister works part time and her fiance works part time. My mom still pays all of that stuff for my sister, and refuses to help us. My sister literally goes out to eat at nice restaurants at least 3-5 times a week, while my fiance and I get by on what we have. I just feel that my mom is definitely playing favorites so I just wanted to see if all of you believed that parents to indeed do this.
Amanda
July 11th, 2006, 09:46 AM
mrobinson
This is a tough one.. I've analized my parents and I can't figure out if it's just pure favoritism or something more? I think my half brother (the youngest) is by far treated the best but
~ I want that for him
~ I know my (step)mom can't help but love him more and I can't resent her for it
~ I know being last and "the baby" makes it easier because M&D have already been through it twice...

My younger brother was a boy and where in your families that may not be a big deal, in mine it meant he could be REALLY be "spanked." (In my world spanking means beatings.) I think my (step)mom didn't like him either.. He has it really hard.

Me? I was a girl therefore not worth much but loved.

I dunno.

I do think they make mistakes.. we all do.. so as long as they're trying the best they can then that's all we can ask for.
July 11th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is my take on it. My parents loved us all the same, but we were treated differetnly. To me it seemed like a personalitly thing. My mom seemed to get along better with my younger siblings personality wise. My dad and I got along better. I think in some cases it just has to do with personalities meshing better. And also some kids just need more attention than others.

July 11th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes I think some parents do. My aunt uncle have 3 kids. Girl, boy, girl... Well when my cousin Joel was little his big sister was always provoking him. She would purposley do stuff to tick him off and he would hit or push her. He is always the one to get spanked and not her. I was thinking my god are you people blind. I used to push my sister around but when my sister got bigger she did the same thing and I stopped. They still hold the oldest up on a pedistool.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search