Belly shirts

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Belly shirts, Do you let your kids wear them?
Yes 1 6.25%
No 10 62.50%
Depends 3 18.75%
other 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2006, 11:29 AM
mrobinson
Do you let your kids wear belly shirts? When is it inappropriate to wear? Age limitations? Your thoughts, platform and a poll!
July 11th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont have a girl, but if I did she would not be allowed to wear them. She can do what she likes when she is 18 I hope my boys dont want to wear them, lol

July 11th, 2006, 11:36 AM
mrobinson
Even the babies never wore one?
July 11th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope never! I hope when she is old enough to make these choices on her own that her Daddy and I have instilled enough self respect, morals and values that she doesn't look for attention in that way.

</div>
July 11th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
My DD has a few shirts that would be considered belly shirts, but she is only 4 (5 in a couple of weeks!)
I think they are cute and she looks cute in them!

As she gets older, I hope that she will make good choices and her grace and self esteem can be a reflection of our job as her parents. I don't want my daughter dressing in bustiers at 15, but I also don't want to "lose it" if a little mid-section is exposed. I think the way a person carries themselves speaks more of their values and esteem than what they are wearing, KWIM? I cannot guess what the style of dress will be in 8-10 yrs , but I hope to instill in my DD character and dignity so that her outward appearance does not have to define her inner person or hide a large sense of insecurity. (can't tell if that makes sense)

July 11th, 2006, 11:52 AM
mrobinson
I put other because I have no kids.

I completely plan (especially when they're little) to have belly shirts.. They're so bloody cute! I also am very used to being on, in or close to a beach so when they're at Grandma's they'll being wearing lots of beach clothes.. Playing in the sprinkler at home, beach clothes... (I need to have kids!)

As they get older.. For those of you who have boys, back in the eighties, boys (who weren't gay) did wear belly shirts. That style will return sooner or later.

Like what's already been said, I hope my kids form of self-expression is filled with self-control, self-respect and self-worth. Their clothes should be the issue. That said, I know that there are limits for me personally. I think belly shirts at school (unless on the beach) isn't proper. If it's winter, belly shirts are not tolerated. (I hope they're brains tell them that one, though.)
July 11th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I voted for depends because my DD does have belly shirts but either has to have her bathing suit on underneath or wear a button-down top over it. She has a couple of cute ones. But she is not allowed to wear the belly shirts and show excessive skin.

When she was younger and always with me, I used to let her wear them but since she is older and her body is developing, I don't anymore. We usually don't have a problem with it though.

July 11th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
oh no no no. I see too many clothes that would fit my four year old and would make her look like a hoochie. I am very conscious of her clothing, I want to instill the stylish, good girl look in her! If she rebels, later in life, so be it. My kiddo loves to go shopping and has never asked me to buy her anything that I would deem inappropriate. Bathing suits are another thing. I cant believe some of the suits they have for babies and toddlers. I just feel like, if I wouldn't wear it, neither are they!
July 11th, 2006, 12:54 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
If she rebels, later in life, so be it.[/b]
PPSSTT... Here's my plan. I'll dress my little girls in pink and lace.. they will hate it by the time they're 8. Then they will go goth. (Goth's cover up! They dont like the sun.)
July 11th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think i have to answer yes. Whenever we go visit relatives in Central America or Brazil, our family has a lot more skin showing...I'm not exactly sure what a "belly shirt" is (like if it's a specific style or just a shirt showing the area below the boobs) But since we sometimes show that area, I think I'm a "yes." It's freakin hot! Unless we are in the city or going shopping/inside, my husband is usually without a shirt as well.

Here I don't think I've ever let or dressed our daughters in one in my memory. Maybe that's a societal thing? Like I have this idea that it's not ok in the eyes of people here and they don't want to see it while back in CA no one cares in the villages we are from. Hmm...never really thought about it until just now
July 11th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would have to say hell no! If I had a girl there is no way. I hate when I go to the pool and a 8 yr old girl is wearing a bikini. That really bothers me because there is so many perverts out there. I am sure my dh would feel the same way if we were to have a girl.
July 11th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
If she rebels, later in life, so be it.[/b]
PPSSTT... Here's my plan. I'll dress my little girls in pink and lace.. they will hate it by the time they're 8. Then they will go goth. (Goth's cover up! They dont like the sun.)
[/b]

LOL that is too funny! Maybe that is why my sister is a goth queen right now. My mom would not let her wear stuff like that, put a ponytail on top of her head (like Pebbles) and dressed her in lace and frills till she was about 10.

July 11th, 2006, 01:59 PM
mrobinson
See? It works!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search