Feeding Children Meat

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Come on, pick a side. You can't have it both ways.

I think meat is a good source of protein. If my kids want for some reason to be vegetarian, they can do it when they get old enough to think for themselves. I'll still be cooking meat, but they don't have to eat it if they don't want to.

July 12th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
If my kids want for some reason to be vegetarian, they can do it when they get old enough to think for themselves. I'll still be cooking meat, but they don't have to eat it if they don't want to.[/b]

July 12th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, the child would not be able to know if they had been permanently damaged as of right now (as there are studies on both sides that conclude what the other is doing causes damage - meat eating and abstaining from meat- and neither point to conclusive permanent damage, as new diets have a "purging" effect, etcetc). The best a parent can do is offer a variety of food and attempt to cover all nutrional bases with that VARIETY. This way, when the child is old enough, they haven't developed a distaste for any particular sect of food (green vegetables, cheeses, or whatever). They can then choose their own nutrional path. If at home your child has no meat, maybe you could let them eat it elsewhere if they seem interested.

Once the child chooses to be a certain type of eater, there should be some kind of understanding about it. A child choosing to be a vegen in a house where everyone else eats meat needs to be able to compromise or supply themselves with recipes, etc (there are two things conflicting here- the child's right to be a vegen and the parent's buying the food/preparing it/plus time to create two different meals). As long as the child has a voice, they should be welcomed in discussion on the issue and should not be ignored.
July 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
After all this talk about piercings and putting what we believe is right onto our children, I wondered if anyone will not give their children meat until they are old enough to request it themselves. What if your child wanted to be a vegetarian down the line and resented that you gave them animal products? Should we be witholding meat until they can request it themselves? Or from the other side, do vegetarian parents have the right to withold meat since one day their children may choose to be carnivores?[/b]
I'm a new vegetarian.. I live in beef country. My neice (10) was raised by her veggie momma. She says no to the in-laws about meat. (Around DH, before we turned, she would eat it.) She worships him.

I wouldn't say no to my kids.. I would even cook it for them and teach them how to. For dh and I it's part of our spiritual beliefs not to eat meat. I can't force my reason's on my kids. I jsut hope it makes enough sense to them to not eat it. If they become meat eaters, well, there could be worse things I guess.
(Fear leads to anger which leads to hate which leads to suffering.. I need to tell myself this as I think meat-eating leads to animal suffering.. which leads to veggie hate which leads to... I know I'm a dork!)
July 12th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually can answer both sides from personal experience. We are meat eaters in this house. My older DS's son is a vegetarian. We decided in my home he is going to eat meat and in his home he will eat vegetarian. It has worked out so far and decided to wait until he is older for him to make the final decision of whether he is going to eat it or not. He will have experienced both sides of eating.

Now there is another side to this. With my DS's bio father, he didn't decide to be a vegetarian. His mom forced upon him at a young age. He loves the taste of meat but when he eats it, he gets sick now. So that is why he was the one who approached me and said we will let JJ decide for himself when he gets older.

July 12th, 2006, 10:53 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
As long as the child has a voice, they should be welcomed in discussion on the issue and should not be ignored.[/b]

Obviously they can't eat meat for at least a year.. they would be eating veggie until they said so or a doctor told me they needed it.

Quote:
We decided in my home he is going to eat meat and in his home he will eat vegetarian.[/b]
Why can't he just have more pototoes and veggies instead of the meat?
July 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My house is meat free, and my DD wil be meat free until she is old enough to make that dissicion on her own. I believe eating meat is wrong, and I do not believe it's healthy, therefore I don't feed it to her. I hope she will learn the same compassion her Daddy and I have for animals, but if I fail at that, then she can make her own choices later in life. We can only do what we think is right for our kids, and hope that they learn to think before they eat, no matter what it is.

</div>
July 12th, 2006, 11:21 AM
mrobinson
Quote:
My house is meat free, and my DD wil be meat free until she is old enough to make that dissicion on her own. I believe eating meat is wrong, and I do not believe it's healthy, therefore I don't feed it to her. I hope she will learn the same compassion her Daddy and I have for animals, but if I fail at that, then she can make her own choices later in life. We can only do what we think is right for our kids, and hope that they learn to think before they eat, no matter what it is.[/b]
That's a wicked post!
July 12th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Brody will eat meat, as both his dad and I do. I can start giving him meats by the time he's 6 months if I want (pureed of course). Not sure that I'll do that though. If it looks gross enough that I won't eat it, I shouldn't make him eat it either. He hasn't tasted anything I haven't tasted. However, if he wants to become a vegetarian...I'll support his decision. However, he will be made aware that I will not alter menus for him. He'll just have to fill up on the veggies served.

July 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
However, he will be made aware that I will not alter menus for him. He'll just have to fill up on the veggies served. [/b]
This exactly what I tell family when we go over to their place.. I'll eat anything, just not meat. I think it works?
July 12th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I've never really given the vegetarian thing much thought since neither my fiance or myself or anyone in either of our families are vegetarians. If our daughter decides later on that she would rather be a vegetarian then we will support her decision. However, until then she'll be eating basically what we eat (when she's older lol).
Amanda
July 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM
kadydid
My kids eat meat and I do not. They all ate meat before I became a veg, and them eating meat does not bother me. But on the flip side, I being a veg have given them an opportunity to eat more vegetarian dishes than a lot of people do. I have not been a vegetarian for ages so I am still learning. And if any of my kids wanted to go veg I would fully support them. I would either way.

I think some things people have to do all by themselves and for their own reasons. Considering my family ate meat and did before I became a veg, it would be kind of like taking Christmas away from a Christian. It just wouldn’t be right and it is their decision to make.

Quote:
However, he will be made aware that I will not alter menus for him. He'll just have to fill up on the veggies served.[/b]
They can’t get the protein they need from just veggies. I think if any child evolves into a person who thinks meat is morally wrong a parent should be sensitive enough to their needs and try to make sure they are getting all that they need. An unhealthy meal for a night is okay now and then but on a regular basis people need protein (soy, nuts, legumes Etc.)
July 12th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will give my children the choice to eat meat or not eat meat. Ryan loves meat,he is a big meat eater. Emily will eat chicken and no other meats...sometimes ham,but not often. She is picky with her meat,as I am. There are other forms of protein other then meat...so if they decide not to eat meat...then we will find other means of protein.

</div>

</blockquote>
July 12th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't read the entire thread, so this is a response to the OP:

There are a wide range of healthy, ethical, and environmental issues surrounding where our food comes from, who produces it, where it's grown, what it's fertilized with, whether chemicals are used to keep pests away, artificially color, or preserve it. For some people, food choices may even have spiritual significance.

The difference between feeding your child a healthy variety of foods, including meat, even though they may later decide to be vegitarians (or, may decide follow some other alternative dietary guidelines) and circumcising or piercing your child is that children HAVE to eat. You have to feed them something, food is required to live. Feed them meat now, and they can eliminate it from their diet later if they so desire. If your family is vegetarian, the same holds true: They can always choose to eat meat later.

Also, it's difficult if not impossible to force children something they don't want to eat. My son eats very little meat, because he doesn't like it. The pediatrician suggested he may be a 'natural vegetarian', and not to force the issue but to encourage other protein sources, and consider a multi-vitamin if he continues to be a picky eater.

Children don't have to be cut or pierced. Circumcision or piercing can be done anytime in life. Those permanent cosmetic decisions can be left in their hands, as consenting adults. Same goes for tattoos, tongue-splitting, branding, metal implants, etc.

Jen

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
July 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think, as long as you are feeding your child a healthy balanced diet it should be an individual decision as to whether to include meat. If, at a later time, they decided they want to be veggies, they can change their eating habits then. It would be difficult to make any assumptions to what a child may choose for themselves in the future.

<div align="center"></div>
July 12th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've read that the longer you wait to introduce meat to their diets, the better. Dh and I eat meats. If hailey decides not to eat meat, thats fine by me. If you eating a well balanced diet, the protien intake shouldn't be an issue, meat or not meat.
July 12th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I offer a variety of all foods to my kids, even ones I don't like. Most of my kids like meat, but my son Nick hates meat, and I don't make him eat it. I talked to a nutritionist about other ways to include protien in his diet. I respect that he, as his own person, may not like the things I like.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search