Ladies, we are now truly capable of doing anything a man can...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Scientists grow sperm from stem cells
By Roger Highfield, Science Editor

(Filed: 11/07/2006)

Scientists have turned stem cells from an embryo into sperm that are capable of producing offspring, it was announced yesterday.

The advance in reproductive science raises new opportunities to treat male infertility and the possibility that women could make sperm.

The professor behind the research believes that, when safe, the advance could help men with certain types of infertility to become fertile, to remain fertile for longer and, controversially, could even one day enable a lesbian couple to have children that, at the genetic level, are truly their own.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../11/nstem11.xml[/b]

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
July 12th, 2006, 11:22 AM
mrobinson
Holly cow! That's incredible! Anyone seen Alien 4?
July 12th, 2006, 12:10 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
WOW!!

<div align="center"></div>
July 12th, 2006, 12:59 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is just sick. Poeple should stop screwing with nature like that.
July 12th, 2006, 01:08 PM
mrobinson
Why is it sick?
July 12th, 2006, 01:33 PM
kadydid
I'm not sure why, But I don't know if this is such a good idea. LOL Plus I like men
July 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I shutter at the "abnormalities" they generalize in the mice. I know research on animals is necessary for many things, but I feel like they knew that would happen because of what hey have already witnessed with cloning. Guess they still had to try, but I a for the next animals they try this on after mice.
July 12th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Fascinating... It speaks volumes about the POTENTIAL of stem cell research.

but really, why is this particular application useful? In case we need to repopulate the world someday? Not likely..

Agatha Christie</span>
July 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Fascinating... It speaks volumes about the POTENTIAL of stem cell research.

but really, why is this particular application useful? In case we need to repopulate the world someday? Not likely.. [/b]
I think being able to treat some forms of male infertility, allowing couples to have a child that's genetically their own is pretty cool. And, the possibility of lesbians also being able to have a child that is genetically their own is really exciting too.

And, if some mysterious disease wiped out all the men on earth...there'd still be hope for the continuation of the species, lol.

The article also said...

Quote:
Harry Moore, Professor of Reproductive Biology, University of Sheffield, said: "This latest finding is exciting, as it is the first indication that germ cells [immature sperm cells] produced in this way have the full potential to create an individual. This opens up many important possibilities for research related to genetics, cancer and cell reprogramming."

It could shed light on how abnormal development of germ cells in men may lead to testicular cancer and infertility...[/b]

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
July 12th, 2006, 03:13 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
[/quote]

I think being able to treat some forms of male infertility, allowing couples to have a child that's genetically their own is pretty cool. And, the possibility of lesbians also being able to have a child that is genetically their own is really exciting too.
[/quote]

That is VERY interesting! I didn't think of it that way. Great point!

July 12th, 2006, 03:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That is um...interesting!
July 12th, 2006, 07:26 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
I think the thought behind it is nice but we will have to see where it goes. I'm sure there are a lot of things that could go wrong.
July 12th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just read this to hubby and said "watch out buddy soon I wont need ya no more LOL" thats soo neat thanks for sharing!

July 12th, 2006, 09:17 PM
It is sick becuase it is unnatural. Man and woman should create babies. I am not agaist homosexuals having babies or sperm banks or IVF but this is wrong and little to freakish for me.
How exactly would lesbian couples be able to have biological babies anyway? Wouldn't they need at least one of the lesbians embryo's?
July 12th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Quote:
It is sick becuase it is unnatural. Man and woman should create babies. I am not agaist homosexuals having babies or sperm banks or IVF but this is wrong and little to freakish for me.
How exactly would lesbian couples be able to have biological babies anyway? Wouldn't they need at least one of the lesbians embryo's?[/b]
I assume to do this process you would have to go through IVF so I assume, if they need an emryo, they would use one that would have been discarded after the procedure anyway.
July 12th, 2006, 09:28 PM
kadydid
Just think about it, you would be able to make a child that came from you completely. You could have your own sperm and your own egg.
July 12th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Just think about it, you would be able to make a child that came from you completely. You could have your own sperm and your own egg.
[/b]
But I would think that woul lead to major genetic problems. If there is a risk of problems if someone would have a child with their brother, could you just imagine the the genetic problems if you had a child with yourself. Actually if they had to use stem cells from an emryo it would be more like having a child with your child. and if they needed an embryo for the stemcells to make the sperm, wouldn't you first need a man to makes sperm to make the embryo that you use to make your own sperm?

Wow this is making me dizzy!!!!!
July 13th, 2006, 09:43 AM
^^^
Exactly
So now you get into the issue of creating an embryo just so that you can use it to create sperm for a lesbian couple (single mothers or anyone) to have a baby???? Is killing the first child really worth having a child that is geneticallty theirs?
July 13th, 2006, 09:54 AM
Quote:
^^^
Exactly
So now you get into the issue of creating an embryo just so that you can use it to create sperm for a lesbian couple (single mothers or anyone) to have a baby???? Is killing the first child really worth having a child that is geneticallty theirs?[/b]

That is not what i ment. I don't feel that using an emryo for stem cells, that would have been detroyed anyway, is wrong. I just think it is crazy that you might need sperm to make an emryo to make sperm. It just kind of makes me dizzy.
July 13th, 2006, 11:30 AM
nat81
Well... now we really don't need men!!!!

jk

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search