Virginity

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Virginity
yes 12 11.21%
no 95 88.79%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2006, 01:53 PM
apples's Avatar Member
Since this came up on another topic....

How old were you when you lost your virginity and were you married? Where do you draw the line on when to lose your virginity? Does it have to do with age, religion, health issues, morality, or something else?
Also, do you think the media or other peer pressures affected when you lost your virginity?
July 12th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I lost my virginity to my fiance, which was a long time ago We have been married ten years now and the sex has indeed gotten a lot better LOL.

My thoughts on virginity loss...there's no line but I didn't want to have sex with a man I couldn't see myself having children with. My other thought on it is that sex is the closest you can be with someone...you invite them inside your body, and, for me, that had to be someone very special.

I grew up without too much media (not in the USA obviously ) so I can't say that affected me at all. My peers had sex before me in many cases, but my thoughts on sex as stated above kept me from following the crowd.
July 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM
DahliaMarie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
15/no. I would say that maturity should play the biggest role as to when someone is ready to make the decision to lose their virginity. While I don't like to think of myself as a person who is easily pressured into something, I would say that AT THAT TIME, had my friends not been having sex, I may have waited too. But, we'll never know for sure. It wasn't really a thought at the time.

<div align="center"></div>
July 12th, 2006, 02:15 PM
mrobinson
13/no
July 12th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
15/no. It was with someone I did plan on marrying though, and someone I was deeply in love with and stayed with for 3 years. I don't regret it, it was a great experience and I know girls who have had a lot worse!
July 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
19/no

July 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
18/no. I didn't even fully understand what sex was until I was 13, so I guess that kind of drew a line for itself. I think me waiting so long to lose my virginity had a lot to do with my peers. I grew up in a very small town where none of my friends (or anyone at my school for that matter) had sex. It's a Catholic community, and most of them believed in the "true loves waits" message. If I hadn't been in that environment who knows when I would have lost it. I was planning on waiting until I got married, but the person that I lost my virginity to was someone that I truly cared about and I thought the time was right. (I wish it would have been my fiance though lol). My fiance and I were very open about our sexual history with each other when we first started dating. I don't think the media had anything to do with me losing my virginity when I did.
Amanda
July 12th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
19/no. But it was only a week before the wedding, lol. No patience The funny thing, is now, I kinda regret it. Not that I wish I had slept around or anything, but Ive always been curious about what its like to be with someone else. But I am a weirdo, so who knows I did not feel any pressure from the media. I did feel pressure from guys, but I was convinced that God would strike me dead if I had pre-marital sex. I dont know exactly how I feel about when the "right" time to lose it is....

July 12th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
15/no. It was my 1st relationship ever, and we were together for about 2 years...

I don't think it had anything to do with anything but 2 teenagers in love - he was 18, BTW I don't recall any of my other friends being sexually active at the time, so I don't think peer pressure was an issue.

Good Lord, WHERE is surobbins?

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 12th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
19/no.

I was raised a conservative Christian, and taught it was important to wait until marriage...although as I reached my mid-teens I didn't personally have strong beliefs about needing to wait. I lost my virginity to a guy I'd known for years and was (at the time) casually dating. Why did I do it? I'd just decided I was ready, and I wanted to experience it. I was attracted to the guy, but I wouldn't say we were in love or committed. We ended up dating for about 6 months, we broke up...I had a summer fling with a friend's roommate...and shortly thereafter met my husband.

I don't have any regrets about having sex before I was married, in fact I actually believe that it's good to know whether or not your sexually compatible with someone before you make a life-long commitment. I'm not raising my children to 'save' themselves for marriage; I'm raising them to wait until they're mature and responsible enough to protect themselves and be able to accept and deal with the potential consequences.

Jen

Edited to add: No, I don't blame (or credit) 'the media' for my sexual behavior/decisions.

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
July 12th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Quote:
I don't have any regrets about having sex before I was married, in fact I actually believe that it's good to know whether or not your sexually compatible with someone before you make a life-long commitment. I'm not raising my children to 'save' themselves for marriage; I'm raising them to wait until they're mature and responsible enough to protect themselves and be able to accept and deal with the potential consequences.

Jen[/b]
LOL, ITA! This reminds me of my mother, though. She always told me how special sex was, and once I lost it, I could never get back my virginity....there is only one first time. She was a virgin when she married my dad (divorced when I was a toddler) and said she was so scared, because of how her parents had explained sex, that she remained a virgin on her wedding night .
Once she found out that I had lost my virginity, she asked me all of the mom-appropriate questions (did you use condoms, are you okay?, etc) and then almost breathed a sigh of relief. She told me "Stacey, anyone that tells you that sex is not an important part of a relationship is a liar! I want you to be selective and know that who you choose should be special. I want you to be in love, but try it on before you get married....you wouldn't jump in the pool before you dip your toe."

July 12th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
18/no

It was to my husband. I don't regret it, but I kinda wish we waited, but can't change it now. I don't credit the media, or peer influences. For our daughter, DH says she'll never date, but I'd just prefer that its a decision she can live with for the rest of her life, I don't want her to look back with regret. Of course i'd rather her to wait until marriage though, but if she's going to anyways...what I said above!
July 12th, 2006, 03:37 PM
whitlovesoak's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
17 no it was a week before my 18th birthday. i had many opportunities before that fromthe time i was 14. i don't really know why i said no before. it just felt different. and yes i lost it to my now DH. all the guys before it just didn't feel right. i knew that once they got that from me it would be over anyways. so i just always said no. but i did many other things! lol.

</div>
July 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
14/no, even though I did marry him later on but 9 months after we were married we started divorce proceedings. We were both way too young and immature and he turned physically abusive after we were married.

July 12th, 2006, 04:12 PM
chlodoll
16 and no we werent married but it was with my DH.
July 12th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
i had many opportunities before that fromthe time i was 14. i don't really know why i said no before. it just felt different.[/b]
I felt the same way. I had oppertunities to prior to, but it just didn't feel right. Shoot, it just didn't feel right in the dating process, with anybody BUT now DH. With DH, things just felt different from the first time I meet him. I don't know, its hard to explain.
July 12th, 2006, 06:01 PM
apples's Avatar Member
hmm... well, I guess I'm the only one that has read this poll and remained a virgin until my wedding night. I think I'll refrain from any sort of a debate seeing that I'm the only one who refrained from sex until marriage.

But just one question: Are any of you Christians?
July 12th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Quote:
hmm... well, I guess I'm the only one that has read this poll and remained a virgin until my wedding night. I think I'll refrain from any sort of a debate seeing that I'm the only one who refrained from sex until marriage.

But just one question: Are any of you Christians?[/b]
I am Catholic and, honestly, it was my intention to remain a virgin until I was married, it just didn't happen the way I planned. I don't regret it, and I wouldn't change it. The experience shaped me and my life, I think if I were to go back in time and change the slightest thing, I would not have the life I love so much today.

July 12th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

I was Catholic at the time I had sex with my fiance (living in Argentina at the time- I grew up in Panama- so, we are talking Catholic society- and lots of teens still having sex, just not telling anyone )
July 12th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Were you trying to imply something by this comment? Just wondering.
Amanda

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search