Hormone treated milk versus organic

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2006, 05:24 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I will not be surprised if men in the future olympics are able to pole vault using their penises.[/b]

We try to eat as much organic/free range meat and eggs and drink as much organic milk as possible. I truly believe that the hormones and antibiotics that pollute our milk and meat cause many probelms including the earlier and earlier age of puberty.
July 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The evidence isn't clear on these hormones but many studies show possible effects on humans. In addition, I think it's more humane not give them to animals. Plus, animals not receiving these hormones are generally grass fed and free range, more pluses for the cows and our family. I'll stick with the organic and free range for these reasons.
July 12th, 2006, 06:44 PM
RachelC's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We do organic here when possible. It's so much more expensive but I truly believe the long term benefits are worth the price. Just thinking of all the crap they are pumping into our meat and dairy now a days is enough to keep me away.

I do know this much. Organic milk does not contain the following:

-Antibiotics
-Synthetic Hormones
-Peticides

It does contain:

-High content of Conjugated Linoleic Acids (good fats, linked to decrease the risk of diabetes and heart disease)
-300 mg of calcium per eight-ounce glass (more then "caged" cows)

Organic baby food is another thing that we used with DD and plan on using with our new baby when he comes along. No added processed sugars, salt, thickeners, processing aids and unnecessary fillers, no artifical flavors, etc. Plus you know that your veggies and fruits are coming from pesticide free farms. I think at the end of the day it is definitely safe to say the extra few bucks is well worth it in the long run.

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

July 12th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Momo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually it's funny, I just heard some info on this topic. I think there are too many scare tactics out there. The fact of the matter is humans can't absorb cow hormones. Even if it was injected we couldn't absorb it. And seeing as milk is something we drink, our stomach breaks down everything that comes through so there is no chance of our bodies absorbing the cow hormones...So I'll stick with the cheaper stuff! lol

Clara's here! 5/13/11

I love my two handsome boys!!!
Jetty - 8/06
Jude - 9/08

July 12th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
A Canadian can correct me if I am wrong, but isn't this hormone banned in Canada as per a ruling by Health Canada? As well as the EU?
July 13th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm....I would say I'm going to drink the milk that I buy in the store. If I worried about every little wretched study they come out with about how this is going to hurt you and that's going to hurt you then I would never be able to eat or drink anything.
Amanda
July 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
"Pole vault using their penises"? You mean milk makes your penis grow ?
July 13th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Hmmm....I would say I'm going to drink the milk that I buy in the store. If I worried about every little wretched study they come out with about how this is going to hurt you and that's going to hurt you then I would never be able to eat or drink anything.
Amanda[/b]

Amen to that!

If I spent half the time obsessing about every little thing I put in my mouth, I wouldn't be able to eat . And with 'tainted' cows milk costing as much as it does, I bet organic is more.... not all of us can afford these luxuries... Whether its just a few pennies more or a few dollars more - for some, that matters.

So I guess I'll continue to drink my regular cows milk with my huge penis-ed BF and son

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 13th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay so there was study that says cows milk (like I buy at the store) makes people go through puberty earlier? I have yet to see that happen in anyone I have ever known in my entire life.
Amanda
July 13th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think many of the ones that have shown effects on humans have been discredited but the hormone has been restricted in Canada and the EU because of the effects it has on the cows and was judged to be inhumane. This is all me trying to remember a book on milk that I read a while back, so I could be a little off.
July 13th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will not drink the milk that has the hormones. When they first started with the milk with hormones. I looked for the containers that said hormone free. I'm for organic or the more natural foods.
July 13th, 2006, 02:45 PM
~Jess~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's not just hormones either. Cows are pumped full of antibiotics which not only lower your immune system, they compromise your intestinal flora & create germs/bugs that are immune to antibiotics making it more difficult to treat infections when you get ill. We actually don't put cow's milk into our bodies but if we did, we would buy organic.

July 13th, 2006, 07:16 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
I just drink regular whole milk.

~Nay

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search