Women Playing Men's Sports

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2006, 12:23 PM
mrobinson
I can't believe there is still so much exclusion of women within the male sports.. I can't understand why.
July 13th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i think they exclude them, or did in the past, because it wasn't fair to the women actually. i mean TYPICALLY women dont have the upper body strength of men, yes there are exceptions, but not typically. so in golf, they couldn't hit as far, same in baseball, they can't hit as far, or pitch the same way. womens football- a woman getting tackled by a man doesnt sound so great ( i mean the US version of football)
thats how my semi-pro football playing husband explained it to me, and how others have explained it.

July 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im torn on this one. I agree that if there is a womens league, they should play in that. But I also agree that in most cases their is a physical difference (strength wise) between men and women. I know I have no desire to wrestle or stuff like that, but some girls do, so they should have somthing. The thing that bothers me though, is that lets say for instance a boy in highschool wants to play volleyball. There is no boys volleyball team. There is no way they would ever let him play on the girls team, so why should we make exceptions for girls??

July 13th, 2006, 01:07 PM
mrobinson
(Darn you)

I will admit at the professional level there are some sports females need strength comparable to males in order to participate.. However there are lots of sports that I don't see a reason not to allow females to participate in. I wish they would because that might generate the interest to have girls leagues.
July 13th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If shes wants to I say go for it.
July 13th, 2006, 01:09 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
Im torn on this one. I agree that if there is a womens league, they should play in that. But I also agree that in most cases their is a physical difference (strength wise) between men and women. I know I have no desire to wrestle or stuff like that, but some girls do, so they should have somthing. The thing that bothers me though, is that lets say for instance a boy in highschool wants to play volleyball. There is no boys volleyball team. There is no way they would ever let him play on the girls team, so why should we make exceptions for girls?? [/b]
Really? Boys volleyball was huge when I was in high school.. Too bad for that dude. I think they should let him play.
July 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Jen25's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Really? Boys volleyball was huge when I was in high school.. Too bad for that dude. I think they should let him play.[/b]
Around here, vollyeball is a "girl" sport My point is simply that it has to be open both ways, not just for girls, kwim?

July 13th, 2006, 01:17 PM
mrobinson
Quote:
My point is simply that it has to be open both ways, not just for girls, kwim?[/b]
I totally agree! I honestly hate the fact there seperation like there is girl guides and boy scouts.. I joined Sea Cadets in protest! (Just kidding about that ~ it was the only thing for me to do. At least it's gender neutral.)
July 13th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Certain sports the difference between men and women make it hard for them to compete together fairly (strength, agility, etc). But car racing? I think it as well as sport like horse jumping/racing should be gender exclusive because the physical difference don't give either sex a big edge.

Plus they'rer not men's sports just men's leagues!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search