Did anyone ever see the interview W had with Katie Holmes?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Do you think Katie Holmes is being brainwashed?
Yes! 13 81.25%
No! 2 12.50%
Undecided. 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2006, 12:56 AM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
Talk about creepy. She sounds like a robot spewing pre-recorded Tom Cruise propaganda. ICK ICK ICK ICK ICK ICK!!! I need a shower to wash all this BS off me!!!!!

http://www.style.com/w/feat_story/070505/full_page.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The statistics on arranged marriage are surprising. In every country where it is still common practice, including Afghanistan, India, Iraq, Iran and, to a lesser extent, Japan, an arranged marriage has a higher success rate than a so-called "love marriage."

It's impossible to say what this augurs for Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise. Of course, theirs isn't an arranged marriage—though it was certainly arranged quickly. The awesomely public couple had all of six weeks, during much of which Holmes was on the Batman Begins junket, to decide that they loved each other, that they wanted to spend their lives together and that they would buck Hollywood convention, to say nothing of common sense, and sing their joy from the mountaintops (or from flashbulb-blitzed press conferences, red carpets and vastly popular TV talk shows). Arranged marriages are measured, often solemn affairs; the fist-pumping pomp of the Cruise-Holmes union is another story. And the more times Holmes tells it, the stranger it sounds.

"I've found the man of my dreams," says the 26-year-old actress, sitting in a bathrobe as a manicurist paints her nails the color of kryptonite and a stylist teases her hair into wavelets in preparation for her W photo shoot. It's 8 a.m., and Holmes looks astonishingly fresh for a woman who taped several television shows the previous day before heading back to Cruise's New York apartment, putting on her sweatpants and UGG slippers, and settling in for a late movie with her sweetheart. "From the moment I met him," she continues, "it just felt like I'd known him forever. I was blown away. He's the most incredible man. He's so generous and kind, and he helps so many people, and, um, he makes me laugh like I've never laughed, and he's a great friend.…"

This is how the conversation begins; this is also how it continues, and how it ends. No question can do much to change its course.

Do you worry that this might be a rebound romance for either of you?

"I've never met anyone like Tom," Holmes replies, her beautiful green eyes focused on nothing in particular.

Do you ever wonder whether this is just a honeymoon phase?

"Tom and I will always be in our honeymoon phase."

Did you learn anything in your previous relationship (five years with actor Chris Klein, which came to an end when they called off their engagement this past winter) that has been a benefit to this one?

"Chris and I care about each other and we're still friends. Tom is the most incredible man in the world."

Do you feel that, with more relationship experience, you get better at resolving conflicts?

"Meeting Tom—I'm just exhilarated. He makes me laugh, we have fun, we understand each other, everything is so aligned. I feel so lucky and so—like I've been given such a gift, such a gift, you know?" She pauses. "And it's just really amazing."

If Holmes were actually answering the questions posed—rather than simply reciting the same mantralike love letter—she'd be making a somewhat provocative point: Her relationship is not like other relationships, with their conflicts, compromises and complications; there will be no apology flowers, nights spent on the couch or couples therapy for these two (as a practicing Scientologist, Cruise strongly disapproves of psychiatry).

Is there anything you guys don't have in common?

"You know, we appreciate each other."

Has it been a challenge to make his kids feel comfortable?

"They're just exceptional people."

Isn't it an adjustment to move in with someone—and after only a month? (In late May, Holmes packed up her apartment in Hollywood's El Royale complex and moved into Cruise's Beverly Hills manse.)

"He's the man of my dreams."

Does he leave his dirty socks on the bedroom floor? Something? Anything?

"No."

The lady doth protest not nearly enough. It's impossible, even for a moment, to slip under the halo of cartoon hearts dancing around Holmes's head—which partly explains why the media has so relished the project of puncturing her happiness ever since it was first broadcast, from the David di Donatello awards in Rome, on April 29. (Even People magazine, a typically unwavering Hollywood celebrant, has published polls indicating that the majority of its readers believe "TomKat" is a hoax.) Though Holmes's star has surely risen, its motion is more akin to the teacup ride at the fairground: a spin that brings queasiness, not thrills.

Anyone who has seen photos from the couple's June tour of European capitals in support of their summer movies will recognize the tall, cold-eyed Jessica Rodriguez, a third wheel at all of Holmes's recent public appearances. Rodriguez, 29, was described to me as Holmes's "Scientologist chaperone," and it was clear that she would be on hand during our interview despite my protests. Polite and restrained but alert to troublesome questions, Rodriguez chimes in only to offer an amen following one of Holmes's rhapsodies. ("You adore him," Rodriguez says after the actress explains that she can't keep her hands off Cruise.) But she rises from her chair when Holmes is asked how she feels about the widespread disbelief in her new union.

"The truth is, we don't read that stuff because it's just rude," Rodriguez says—referring to rumors that Cruise made a financial arrangement with Holmes (after auditioning a field of other young starlets, including Scarlett Johansson, Jessica Alba and Kate Bosworth). When I suggest that the televised hyperbolizing of their happiness may have undercut its credibility, Rodriguez asks, "Have you ever been in love? You just want to share it with the world." I suggest that many couples prefer to cherish the feeling privately, especially in the delicate first months. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, whatever the nature of their relationship, come to mind.

"But why can't they go public, you know what I mean?" Rodriguez continues. "Like, Brad and Angelina—that's just a shame for them. Right, Katie?"

"Yeah. I mean, I'm just so happy," Holmes says in reply as a makeup artist begins to powder her cheeks. (Holmes's skin, in contrast to the evidence of a recent barrage of embarrassing tabloid photos, is perfect.) "And I love celebrating our happiness. I can't keep it in."

Meanwhile, the tabloids report that friends back in Toledo, Ohio, where Holmes grew up, are worried about her. ("People who say that aren't my friends," she says.) They wonder whether Cruise is sabotaging her career by steering her away from roles that deal with subject matter that Scientology disapproves of—in particular, the role of the drug-addled Edie Sedgwick in George Hickenlooper's upcoming Factory Girl, which Holmes pulled out of. "Tom's so supportive and he's such an inspiration," she protests.

"I just felt that the role wasn't right for me, and in light of my Batman Begins schedule and everything, it was just not the right time. When I pick roles, I ask, first, Is this a story that I want to tell? Can I help move this story along, and will I be an asset to it? I'm excited to keep expanding and finding different roles to play." What about a film with Cruise? "That would be such an honor. Such an honor."

Cruise may not be imposing his will on Holmes's career, but, with Rodriguez's help, he appears to have made a strong bid for her soul. After the interview, when I ask Rodriguez how long she's worked with Holmes—reports call her a longtime employee of the Church of Scientology—she waves her hand and says, "Oh, no, we're just best friends.… Well, Katie has a lot of friends." And how long have you been friends? "Oh, a while," Rodriguez answers. "I don't know."

It turns out the two women were introduced only six weeks earlier—right around the time when Holmes met Cruise. (Holmes prefers to keep the details of the couple's first date to herself, but Cruise is said to have invited her to a sushi dinner on his plane.) Rodriguez comes from a family of wealthy Bay area Scientologists; she attended a boarding school in Oregon linked to Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, then went to work for the church, reportedly attaining membership in the Sea Org—Scientology's elite religious order, whose members commit to the church for one billion years—in 1998. No one close to Holmes will venture to say exactly what Rodriguez's role in the actress's life is these days.

On the day we meet, Holmes tells me she's not a Scientologist. (Three days later, in Europe, she will announce that she has converted.) "You know, it's really exciting," the actress says of the religion. "I just started auditing"—Scientology's word for receiving spiritual counseling—"and I'm taking some courses, and I really like it. I feel it's really helping. What I like about it is that, you know, I was raised Catholic, and you can be a Catholic and a Scientologist, Jewish and a Scientologist." Holmes went to Notre Dame Academy, a Catholic high school in Toledo, and was accepted at Columbia University before she landed the role of the lovelorn tomboy Joey Potter on Dawson's Creek. Her parents, devout Catholics, are said to be a weekly fixture at Christ the King church in Toledo. "I'm learning," Holmes says, as the makeup artist applies eye shadow, "to celebrate my own spirit, my own being."

No pressure from Cruise, she swears: "That's really ludicrous because, I mean, you have to know Tom. He is the most loving, generous man who… first of all, he wants to help people. He doesn't put pressure on people. He is the kindest, smartest, most adoring man. It's a pleasure and a privilege to be with him."

As if that weren't already perfectly clear, just then a security guard lumbers into the dressing room and presents Holmes with a giant silver box tied in a thick purple ribbon. A small crowd gathers to watch her gleefully tear open the package and pluck out a Chanel diamond necklace—a gift, naturally, from Cruise. "He's my man! He's my man!" she screams, then jumps up on her chair to do an impression of her fiancé's now-famous sofa shtick from Oprah.

People begin to cheer. "This is your moment!" cries the manicurist.

"I can do splits too," Holmes says, jumping down and splaying herself across the floor. On that note, I suggest, we should probably get the photo shoot started.

"On that note," she replies, "I love him."

"Holmes Sweet Holmes" by Robert Haskell has been edited for Style.com; the complete story appears in the August 2005 issue of W.
July 13th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Super Mommy
This is the first I've read or seen of that interview and I have to admit...very disturbing. She sounds 100% brainwashed. She maybe answered ONE question directly & without a compliment on Tom and that was a single word response "no".

July 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Ashes78
All she seems able to say is "Tom is great!" "Tom is amazing." She has to be brainwashed. There isn't a married person on the face of the earth that can't name on thing their spouse does that gets on their nerves.
July 13th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I think their relationship is sad and disturbing. He seems to at the very least be extremely controlling, and she does seem to be brainwashed...

ETA that part at the end where she gets a necklace and is screaming about her man and doing splits seems really surreal and staged...i dunno, the whole thing sounds really fishy
July 13th, 2006, 08:17 AM
CBMS
Quote:
There isn't a married person on the face of the earth that can't name on thing their spouse does that gets on their nerves. [/b]

I cant.

I mean, in a list of about a million little things, who could stop with just one???

On the question at hand; yes, I think she's been brainwashed. Tom is very weird. Nice can't hide weird, in my book... so even if he is nice (if she weren't brainwashed), she'd still have to notice how extremely odd he is!
July 13th, 2006, 08:28 AM
mrobinson
I don't think she's brainwashed, I think she's careful..

Most of the women here refuse to say a bad thing about their own S/O or DH.. In a magazine that can be manipulated and twisted do you think she would say, yeah, he doesn't close the toliet seat. People have nothing better to do than make up lies when there are zero words.. of course she has to play it smarter ~ she's a celebrity.

I think the only type of celebrity that can kinda be their real selves are the lower end country stars.. Other than that, we paint all celebrities to be weird. I wonder if Tom Cruise was a devote Catholic or Christian, if half of these rumours would be made up?
July 13th, 2006, 08:51 AM
kadydid
Oh for petes sake. This article is almost a year old. They haven’t even been together that long. I personally get a little creeped out by Tom, he smiles just way too much, but that has nothing to do with his religion. (I like Leah Remni and John Travolta and they are both scientologist too)

I am sorry but anyone who would talk to the media (who wants as much dirt as possible) and would paint their SO in a bad light to the whole world is a complete b#tch. And Katie Holmes has always been Mealy mouthed and probably is the submissive in this relationship but that doesn’t mean she is brainwashed. If he was a Christian I think people would not even give a crap.

Quote:
I don't think she's brainwashed, I think she's careful..

Most of the women here refuse to say a bad thing about their own S/O or DH.. In a magazine that can be manipulated and twisted do you think she would say, yeah, he doesn't close the toliet seat. People have nothing better to do than make up lies when there are zero words.. of course she has to play it smarter ~ she's a celebrity.

I think the only type of celebrity that can kinda be their real selves are the lower end country stars.. Other than that, we paint all celebrities to be weird. I wonder if Tom Cruise was a devote Catholic or Christian, if half of these rumours would be made up?[/b]
Mind reader!
July 13th, 2006, 08:54 AM
CBMS
The reason that *I* think he's weird is because of his bashing brooke and acting like he's some sort of psychiatrist or something--talking about her [and other depressed people, for that matter] not needing meds. He never even finished high school, did he? Who the hell is he to say that people who are suffering from depression--whether ppd or not--needs meds? That's why *I* think he's weird.

I'm not saying that she should have spoken negatively about him; however, do you seriously say a thousand times a day when people ask you anything, "oh, I just love him. He's so great. He's magnificant. etc, etc, etc." ?? I mean... even when I was in the honeymoon phase with my husband and really did think he could do no wrong, I didn't talk like that. Yeah, when friends asked how things were going, I said, "great!" But I didn't continue on all day long at work, "oh, he's just so great. I love him so much. We have so much respect for each other...." blah, blah, blah. It's just pukey, I think--and IMO shows a sure sign of some form of brainwashing. My parents have been married for almost 40 years and they don't do that--and they really love each other a lot a lot. (TMI... I've caught them making out like teenagers. ick.)

I heardtell that Katie was showing symptoms of PPD. I think it would be poetic justice.
July 13th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont think she's brainwashed .... I think she's just darned braindead!

and I think it is even more creepy that the general public with very few exceptions seem to view her as just as innocent person ...

as I mentioned in other posts ........... I have searched by and large and have NEVER seen a picture of her with PUPPET STRINGS so I really do think she's got her own twisted head too.

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
July 13th, 2006, 07:22 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't believe she said it was a "privlege" to be with Tom Cruise. What the hell? I would never say it was a privelege to be with my husband.... a marriage/relationship/whatever is not a privelege it's a partnership.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 13th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Ashes78
Quote:
I dont think she's brainwashed .... I think she's just darned braindead!

and I think it is even more creepy that the general public with very few exceptions seem to view her as just as innocent person ...

as I mentioned in other posts ........... I have searched by and large and have NEVER seen a picture of her with PUPPET STRINGS so I really do think she's got her own twisted head too.

xxx Lisa xxx[/b]
July 13th, 2006, 09:20 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Did you learn anything in your previous relationship (five years with actor Chris Klein, which came to an end when they called off their engagement this past winter) that has been a benefit to this one?

"Chris and I care about each other and we're still friends. Tom is the most incredible man in the world."[/b]
This part REALLY bothered me. There was no question about Tom himself but she had to throw in that he is the most incredible man in the world?

Beth, I was worried when I hadn't seen you around lately. I thought maybe Anastasia surprised you and came a bit early
[/b][/quote]

Oh, no not yet. Doctor thinks soon though It's nice to know I was missed...!
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 14th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Katie Holmes is from a suburb not too far from here. She is actually from Perrysburg, not Toledo, as the reports keep saying though she did attend a Catholic all-girls school with my cousin in Toledo. Tom Cruise is making a laughingstock out of her family. Her father is a prominent lawyer and they are getting hounded by the press constantly. They go to a Catholic church in the area and every time there is news on them, they get hounded either going in or coming out of church.
There was a rumor of them buying a house in another suburb right up the road from us and an innocent couple was hounded about it.

With all that being said, YES I do feel like she is being brainwashed. Anyone who would abandon her faith, family and friends after only dating a guy like that for such a short period of time has got to be brainwashed. The only other thing I can come up with is she is totally infatuated (sp?) and doesn't realize how much she has changed. She did say when she was a kid she dreamed she would be Mrs. Tom Cruise.

July 14th, 2006, 07:39 AM
Colee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
not only do i think she's been brainwashed...i am wondering if suri even exsists!

</div>

</blockquote>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search