children on leashes in heavily.....

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2006, 03:46 PM
chlodoll
I definitely agree. My older sister had a habit of just running off, no matter what my mom did she would run off. She was s ingle mother so she didnt have the option of leaving her home. So she used one sometimes. I dont see the big deal, I would rather have a healthy child and have people think I was a bad paret then the other way around.
July 13th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Better to have a leashed toddler, than a missing toddler. I've used one a couple of times. We were moving to Miami, DH was driving the Uhaul across the country, and I decided to fly with Michael and Devon(2 and 3 yrs old at the time). Devon was a runner, no matter what I did, so I had to ensure his safety. I used a backpack type harness on Nick once, he didn't like it to much, so I never used it again. He's past the running stage now thankfully.

July 13th, 2006, 04:01 PM
mrobinson
Well I used to totally against them.. but then I got a beagle. Know? Well if my child is as "independant" as Roxy ~ you're darn tooting I'll use a leash.
July 13th, 2006, 04:55 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Better to have a leashed toddler, than a missing toddler.[/b]
agree 100% though I've never used one. My daughter is only 14 months old, rides in her stroller or is carried by DH or I and never has our eyes taken off of her, not even for a second. Once she is a bit older, if one is needed in an instant like stated above in the first post then I definitely think I'd consider it. Anything to keep my child from running off and possibly getting snatched from me! I know all of us mothers like to think we have 10 eyes and can see all around, but reality is that we only have 2... and thats sad!
July 13th, 2006, 05:28 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Agreed!!
I really don't get the big deal with these things. In the AP circle if you use one of these you are horrible. HOnestly I don't see much of a difference between this and a sling. A sling keeps your baby close to you and this keeps your toddler close to you. Now I know there is a lot more to wearing your baby than just that but there is still a general idea there. I haven't ahd to use one but we are going to Story LAnd this summer and I am pretty sure I am going to get one for my four yr old. She runs off all the time.I aslo have a 9 yr old, almost 3 yr old and a 9 month old baby. I want to make sure she don't take off while I am busy with one of them.
July 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
no, I do not see the need. I have 4 children, have been in all sorts of crowded situations over the years and still can't understand the need to strap a leash on my child.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 13th, 2006, 05:34 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Do you agree with leashing a toddler in a heavily populated area or a huge amusement park?[/b]
Yes.

Though to be honest, I've never used a leash on my son. He's good about holding my hand (he's such a little sweetie) and I carry my sling on my shoulder in case he gets tired. But if I had a little runner you can bet I'd have a kiddie leash just in case.

'Sides, I remember back in the late 80s, early 90s, when my parents would occaisionally clip them on to my younger sisters' (I'm oldest of 4) wrists. It never bothered them and I thought it was really cool. Of course, I was like 8 years old back then.

~Nay
July 13th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't like the idea of leashing kids, and I would never use one with my son. If your toddler won't obey, you are unwilling to sling them, can't keep ahold of their hand, or let them ride in a stroller or wagon maybe taking them to such a populated place isn't the best idea. Leashes are for pets, and I personally just can't wrap my brain around using them on a child. Not my child anyway.

JMO,

Jen

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
July 13th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Quote:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Quote:
Agreed!!
I really don't get the big deal with these things. In the AP circle if you use one of these you are horrible. HOnestly I don't see much of a difference between this and a sling. A sling keeps your baby close to you and this keeps your toddler close to you. Now I know there is a lot more to wearing your baby than just that but there is still a general idea there. I haven't ahd to use one but we are going to Story LAnd this summer and I am pretty sure I am going to get one for my four yr old. She runs off all the time.I aslo have a 9 yr old, almost 3 yr old and a 9 month old baby. I want to make sure she don't take off while I am busy with one of them.
[/b][/quote]

You know, I totally agree. When you come right down to it, the only real difference between a kiddie leash and a sling is that the sling keeps the baby safely close to the parents body, and the leash allows the child room to move around and explore, while still being safely near the parent. So one is next to mommy's boobs and the other is on the floor. It's not that different.

~Nay
July 13th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Lisadear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont see anything wrong with leashing a child especially to ensure his/her own safety.

I leashed my own daughter and she has not grown up barking so it definitely is not for just animals and pets lol

xxx Lisa xxx

</div>
July 13th, 2006, 07:29 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use one on my son. He has a backpack type. He loves it, it gives him more freedom and me peice of mind at the same time. I don't see how using one is a bad thing.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
July 13th, 2006, 08:43 PM
crunchymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
If your toddler won't obey, you are unwilling to sling them, can't keep ahold of their hand, or let them ride in a stroller or wagon maybe taking them to such a populated place isn't the best idea.[/b]
Toddlers and even preschoolers like in my case can not obey all the time. If Ashlie sees the swan boats while I am cutting up Aidan's burger or something like that she isn't gonna think, " hey if I run over there I could get lost" She is just gonna boot. She likes to walk and would complain the entire time if I made her go in a stroller or wagon. Ican only sling one baby at a time. lol Don't get me wrong she is very well behaved kid the best out of all four so far but she is a wanderer. Should I not take my other kids to parks and such becuase AShlie likes to run off? What doI do if Ashlie decides to go one way and Aidan another? They do this at the grocery store and think it is hilarious they only go a few feet and come when I call but Parks are much more interesting than grocery stores.
I haven't had to do it yet but now that I am outnumbered by kids I have no problem with it.
July 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
kadydid
I do not think they are cruel in the least. The child is happy they are not in a stoller, the parent is happy the child is safe near them, it's all good!
I have not done it with Owen yet, I have not let him get down in stores (we have short trips) but I know that soon he will want to. (he is 15.5 months old) He get's tired of being in his stroller and I have a sling for bigger babies (he is a 30 pounder) but I am small and it makes my hips ache if I wear it too long. When he was a bit smaller it was fine. I guess a mom has gotta do what a mom has gotta do!
July 13th, 2006, 10:05 PM
AbbyHannahsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow I'm really jealous is someone actually say that their toddler always minds and stays put. In the real world... most toddlers arent like that. I used a leash on my oldest one time. I took her and my nephew to the zoo when I was pregnant with my youngest daughter. Honestly if my daughter decided to run away there was no way I would be able to catch her being almost 9 months pregnant. I would rather be safe than sorry. There are so many weirdos out there that will pick your kids up and run away with them when they are standing right next to you. I say.. if anyone has a problem with it.. they can mind their own business.

Josie

July 14th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never used one but I am for them also. I just have never obtained one, though for me it just seems mean for me to use one on CJ because he is developmentally delayed so when we are somewhere crowded he is overstimulated and we just don't take him places like that. But there were times I thought about using one for my older DS.

July 14th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
I am all for anything that ensures a child's safety.

July 14th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
People put their kids on leashes? I have never witnessed this before. I can't say whether or not I have an opinion on it...I've never been in contact with someone who uses one, never seen one used myself, and have never had a problem with running off or wandering myself (tho my oldest is only 3 now- it could set in later).

Perhaps if it was used sparringly? While obviously a fallacy, it seems like this would be one of those "slippery slope" parental devices (like bottle propers). They have their place as long as you are careful not to depend too much.
July 14th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Quote:
People put their kids on leashes? I have never witnessed this before. I can't say whether or not I have an opinion on it...I've never been in contact with someone who uses one, never seen one used myself, and have never had a problem with running off or wandering myself (tho my oldest is only 3 now- it could set in later).

Perhaps if it was used sparringly? While obviously a fallacy, it seems like this would be one of those "slippery slope" parental devices (like bottle propers). They have their place as long as you are careful not to depend too much.[/b]
It's not an actual leash in that it doesn't go around the kid's neck. They used to attach to the wrist of the parent and child, and now I think most go around the kid's upper body.

~Nay

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search