Gay marriage

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to [email protected].

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar Aiming for mediocrity
Gay Marrige will open the door to all kinds of crazy things!
Body: 01) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.

02) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

03) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

04) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.

05) Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.

06) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

07) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

08) Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

09) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.

July 13th, 2006, 04:57 PM
::er!ca::'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just my opinion, but that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
July 13th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Boxerlove1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it was supposed to be funny..... and it is!

<div align="center"></div>
Agatha Christie</span>
July 13th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Just my opinion, but that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.[/b]
Ummmm....it is a joke, ever heard of sarcasm?

July 13th, 2006, 05:04 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
That was hilarious! Thanks for posting.

IMO, the only people's sex lives I worry about it mine and my husbands. As long two (or more) people are in a consenual relationship within appropriate age bounderies, I don't think their sex lives are any of our business.

~Nay
July 13th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Umm, no need to be rude and yes I realize it was a joke.... sorry if you took offense to my opinion. Some jokes are funny, some jokes are stupid. I wasn't trying to offend you, sorry.
July 13th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Quote:
That was hilarious! Thanks for posting.

IMO, the only people's sex lives I worry about it mine and my husbands. As long two (or more) people are in a consenual relationship within appropriate age bounderies, I don't think their sex lives are any of our business.

~Nay[/b]
ITA!

Quote:
Umm, no need to be rude and yes I realize it was a joke.... sorry if you took offense to my opinion. Some jokes are funny, some jokes are stupid. I wasn't trying to offend you, sorry.[/b]
Well then it was not me being rude, it was you!

July 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I in no way was being rude, case closed.
July 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Quote:
I in no way was being rude, case closed.[/b]
Quote:
::er!ca:: Posted Today, 04:57 PM
case closed!

July 13th, 2006, 05:14 PM
That wasn't rude in any shape or form, I'm sorry if you took it that way.
July 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Quote:
That wasn't rude in any shape or form, I'm sorry if you took it that way.[/b]
I am going to PM you to explain this

July 13th, 2006, 05:16 PM
~Casey~'s Avatar GraceNorraJennaMomma
I haven't formed a final opinion about gay marriage. I tend to lean more towards being against it. Even though that was a joke it does make you think, and I thought it was funny as well. Thanks.

July 13th, 2006, 05:18 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I totally agree.

I don't think you were being rude either. I took it as you thought the 'joke' was stupid, but meant no offense to the OP.

July 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the OP is fabulous as it humorously points out many of the fallacies of arguments against gay marriage. It reminds me a little of the Dr. Laura letter...

Jen

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
July 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM
NaynayPie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I haven't formed a final opinion about gay marriage. I tend to lean more towards being against it. Even though that was a joke it does make you think, and I thought it was funny as well. Thanks.[/b]
Why are you against it? How does two dudes rubbing their weewees together or two woman lickin' the bush affect you or me?

Besides, a lot of the reason for gay marriage (from what little I've read on the subject) is so long-time partners will get the same treatment as other married couples. Like being allowed to visit a sick partner in the hospital. I'm sure someone who has read more extensively on this can offer more and better examples.

~Nay
July 13th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Quote:
I haven't formed a final opinion about gay marriage. I tend to lean more towards being against it. Even though that was a joke it does make you think, and I thought it was funny as well. Thanks.[/b]
Why are you against it? How does two dudes rubbing their weewees together or two woman lickin' the bush affect you or me?

Besides, a lot of the reason for gay marriage (from what little I've read on the subject) is so long-time partners will get the same treatment as other married couples. Like being allowed to visit a sick partner in the hospital. I'm sure someone who has read more extensively on this can offer more and better examples.

~Nay
[/b]
I had to pick myself up off the floor after reading that!!
I agree, I believe their goals are not only to have their commitment recognized socially, but also (and mainly) to take advantage of the legal benefits.
In the case of, for instance, a gay couple who have been together for years and one ends up hospitalized and/or on life support. If married the spouse would be able to make decisions regarding his hospital care and decisions regarding life support and rescucitation (sp?). There is also the issue of beneficiaries, insurance, tax benefits, I don't see how a gay couple receiving these benefits is going to alter my life in any way.

July 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Tanya G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I think the OP is fabulous as it humorously points out many of the fallacies of arguments against gay marriage. It reminds me a little of the Dr. Laura letter...

Jen[/b]
oh is there a dr laura letter! do you happen to have a link? I would love to see that.

Quote:
Quote:

~Nay
[/b]
Wow I never thought of that before about not being able to visit your partner in the hospital. I guess I would lie in that situation and say I was a sister.

I dont know if we are debating, but I think it should le legal... it is here in Canada, but our PM is going to open it up again. I personally love number 8.

Thank you Rawisner for the Siggy!

July 13th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Sunflower_Mommy2003's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. ... End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Law and how to follow them:

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2. The passage clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/poly). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan,

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D.
Professor Emeritus
University of Virginia[/b]

Click--->Questioning Circumcision?<---Click

Intact Care Board</div>
July 13th, 2006, 06:17 PM
friskycat01's Avatar Super Mommy
AWESOME post! I get the point and I totally agree.

How in the heck could two people who love eachother and getting married effect my life in anyway. If they don't want to legalize it because it destroys marriage for everyone else then they need to outlaw stupid 55 hour marriages. I think making a "joke" of marriage buy doing it for fun and then getting an annulment 2 days later does more harm to marriage than anything else.

I think # 8 is my fave as well!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search